Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't care that they erased the original timeline, as long as Sulu is still gay.

2. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

Didn't get past the second sentence:

Is that about the standard? The actual line is "Our gravitational readings are going crazy - you should see this. It looks like a lightning storm." There's no indication that the person speaking believes that "it" looks like a lightning storm because of the readings. Rather, they think it looks like a lightning storm because it, y'know, looks like a lightning storm, and by the way, their gravitational readings are going cray-cray, WTF is this thing anyway?

And yeah, lightning storms don't cause "crazy" gravitational readings. This thing does, though, and it looks like a lightning storm. Which is different from it being a lightning storm. And saying that it "looks like" a lightning storm is different from saying that it appears to be a lightning storm.

Those two sentences are about all I need. Whoever wrote that crap collected their ticket, bought their popcorn and took their seat all with a sneer on their face, eagerly anticipating their own hatred of the film. And surprise, surprise - they got what they wanted. :rolleyes:

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Generations, definitely yes. Insurrection, not so much. Though I give it props for not having any lens flares.

4. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

lol I had a good laugh over this.

Generations was an abomination and a poor excuse to get both Kirk and Picard on screen together. The writers must have had it in for Gene when they decided to make a movie where Kirk dies. It was literal Character Assassination.

I kinda liked Insurrection though, but I still think JJTrek is superior to both films. I'm a TOS trekkie, never really got into post TOS stuff.

5. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't Orci say the original timeline is still there?

6. Riker's Libido

Riker's Libido Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just going to respond to the original post here. This is kind of silly. The TNG timeline and everything in the "prime universe" is still there. Nimoy's Spock came back a good few years after the end of Nemesis. The flick is an incredibly smart way to re-imagine it without negating everything that came before.

7. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

This is just silly.

If Paramount decided TNG was a viable aspect of the Star Trek franchise, they'd make a movie in a second and wouldn't blink an eye about alternate of alternate timeline space/time continuum rifts or whatnot.

TNG was great. I love it, but it had its time.

8. CaptainMurdock

TNG was perfect as a seasonal episodic show. But is "too smart" for movies. And it's main characters were all a bit too old to fit in with that crowed of characters.

TOS is perfect as both. Plus on the Show and the Reboot it's characters are the perfect age for "action adventure" type stuff. I think of TOS well the movies for the most part to be Space Adventure Epic's where TNG is a Timly Space Journey Adventure.

TOS has the best stuff to make a movie. TNG has the best stuff to make a TV Show.

If that makes any sense.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Instead of looking around for that like button image, I'm just going to type the word LIKE. :techman:

:guffaw:

...and of course the derp goes on and on. But my favorite bit out of all of it has always been the completely insane drive-by attack on "these are the voyages" right at the end:
    Burnt synapses, indeed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

^ Oh, wow. That borders on Poe's Law territory. I'm beginning to suspect that review is a piss-take.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I love how Abrams haters always insist that in previous canon Kirk was born in Iowa, which is simply false.

12. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I think those people are missinterpreting / missremembering Kirks line in The Voyage Home. He says "I´m FROM Iowa, I only work in space"...not "I was born in Iowa".

13. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I agree, though the last film certainly had its moments. Hopefully now that the contrivances to set everything up are no longer necessary, the next film will be a lot better.

14. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why can't we just have a smart movie? :(

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^It won't pull in the kind of money that movies of Transformers' ilk do.

16. CaptainMurdock

Sadly in today's cinematic empire nobody wants a smart movie. They just want remakes of good movies and a continual dump of bad comedies with the occasional Gem of a good movie. but let's face it. since the 90's movies have been going into a steady decline. :scream:

17. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lincoln $180 million as of March 5th

Argo hits $200 million

That said, both films are very good as well as commercially successful.

I believe JJ makes very good commercially successful films as well. That's why Disney hired him to do wars as well. :)

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Facts have no place in threads bashing Abrams and modern films in general.

19. CaptainMurdock

To elaborate, I meant that "most" movies not all. There is the occasional Gem.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I doubt that "smart" films have ever made up the bulk of film produced world wide since the invention of the motion picture.

Star Trek on film has never really been in the "smart" category. (TMP was more pretentious than smart) Even in TV its been slightly above average at best, rather than in the "smarts" department. ;)