Spoilers Let’s talk about the destruction of Trek utopia…

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Anters, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We have powerful tools to fight the virus, openness, optimism, and the spirit of curiosity

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Can we not start a panic in here? Thanks.

3. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s how we get the vaccine while others look to United States of America to develop it.
    Apologies. If we can all keep it together, like Federation citizens, we’ll “flatten the curve” and have sufficient ventilators. Former presidential candidate Andrew Yang’s UBI idea is slowly being discovered by those in power, and it can help with feeding the hungry and holding everyone over until this is all over. Maybe we think of this as a paid vacation. Time to write the next great novel or learn Italian or whatever else you might have wanted to do if you didn’t have to work...

Trying to be optimistic. I’m okay returning to the main topic of the thread....oh, right, the destruction of utopia :lol: :rommie: :guffaw:

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every time I read the threat title I am highly amused because I'm going "Don't you need a Trek utopia first?"

:rommie:

5. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

Ah yes, a derogatory statement against a particular nation is exactly what is going to help unify humanity to fight a common threat

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    H.G. Wells in Time After Time was disappointed when he looked into the future for utopia. I imagine we'd experience similar disappointment if we had access to time travel.

CorporalCaptain and Arpy like this.
  7. Arpy

Where is the derogatory statement?

8. fireproof78

Can we not here?

9. Arpy

Right. Time alone does not create utopia. Technology alone does not create utopia. That’s why there may be no saints in paradise. Lots of pretty, well fed Elois did little toward that effect.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    "I'm sorry...did you say...WORLD War???"

"World War TWO, I said!"

seigezunt and Arpy like this.
  11. Racefuel

Indeed, thank you for the tap on the shoulder

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We don't need a unified Humanity to battle this threat, we need a discovery in a medical research lab.

13. Arpy

If we were a unified Humanity the vaccine for Corona they were 18 months away from five years ago probably would have been in-budget to complete.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

We need a unified BBS to take discussion of the virus to Misc or TNZ.

SolarisOne, fireproof78 and seigezunt like this.
  15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hahahahahahahahaha! Oh please, TOS was many things, but a depiction of a Utopia, or Utopian in itself? No, never.

TNG tried it's hardest to be a depiction of some type of Utopia claiming no one worked/worried about money and everyone was just on a mission to improve themselves.

next time you watch a TOS episode - open your eyes and pay attention to what's on the TV screen, and turn up the sound and actually try to pay attention -- and stay of the hallucinogenics when doing so.:rommie:

16. Arpy

You’ve missed the point. It’s about context. When Uhura was blasé about being called a negress and made out with Kirk, that was pretty freaking progressive for its day. Ditto a female first officer. Ditto a Soviet on the bridge at the height of the Cold War.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Progressive <> Utopia or Utopian.

18. Racefuel

It is funny, though, in retrospect,when ships and locations from the USSR are referenced in TOS and TNG only to have the Soviet Union fall afterwards.

Granted I don't think anyone really could have predicted how dramatically and quickly the USSR would end.

19. fireproof78

But that doesn't equal utopia. That's the contention that I will continue against this idea that TOS being more of an improvement, an optimistic attitude towards the ability of humanity to unite together, is not the same as the utopian perfection being insisted Star Trek proclaimed.

More interesting, especially in TOS, was Spock's remarks regarding how structured Federation colonies could be:
    KIRK: Doctor Sevrin is their leader?
    SPOCK: Yes. A brilliant research engineer in the fields of acoustics, communications and electronics on Tiburon. He was dismissed from his post when he started this movement. Tong Rad inherits his father's extraordinary abilities in the field of space studies.
    KIRK: Well. But they've rejected all that and all that this technology provides. And they seek the primitive.
    SPOCK: There are many who are uncomfortable with what we have created. It is almost a biological rebellion. A profound revulsion against the planned communities, the programming, the sterilised, artfully balanced atmospheres. They hunger for an Eden where spring comes.
    KIRK: All do. The cave is deep in our memory. (The Way to Eden).

Now, I know this is a less than popular episode, but it speaks to how the Federation society could be viewed from different points of view. And, it is a hardly a utopian description.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Heck, I just rewatched the original 1960 THE TIME MACHINE a few days. That Time Traveler was looking for a better future, too.

He found the Morlocks and the Eloi . . ..