Let’s be silly: predict the number of seasons Discovery runs; come back later to see if you're right

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Quinton, Apr 17, 2021.

?

How many seasons will Discovery have?

1. There. Are. Four. Seasons.

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Five seasons. Edges out Enterprise.

25 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. Six! Just shy of TNG/DS9/VOY.

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. "The full seven."

19 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. More than seven seasons. Screw it, Burnham's breaking records.

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. If it's poor outing then it's poor. I never understood what possible harm a poor outing could do to a franchise, as if all the enjoyment was swept away because I didn't like a show. Good grief, if that's the case Star Trek was miserable for me after TUC was released and until ST 09.

Quinton likes this.
  2. Danja

Danja Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After Clark Kent on Smallville left SV for Metropolis, the staff at The Daily Planet gave him the nickname "Smallville" and the show went on from there.

Quinton likes this.
  3. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've joked about that before, but this is a serious possibility. Perhaps with a rename (La Sirena?) we could focus on the ship or any number of characters if and when Stewart retires or semi-retires for recurring appearances. Seven is a good lead, now that she's on the crew, if they feel the need for a legacy character to support Rios and Jurati and Raffi and Soji.

Danja and Quinton like this.
  4. Tim Thomason

CBS is preparing a press release as we speak that will finally announce Alex Kurtzman's termination, and that all of post-2017 Star Trek has been decanonized and that Star Trek Continues and Star Trek: Axanar will be fully canonized with full season orders to take their place.

Quinton likes this.
  5. The Witch of Winter

The Witch of Winter Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think perhaps 5 seasons, which would be solid for a streaming series, I'd say. Between Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy, Section 31, and the coming Captain Pike series, I think they'll pull the oldest series and let the others play out. Maybe. I don't know for sure, but I think 5 seasons would be good.

Quinton likes this.
  6. Tim Thomason

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie

Masiral, dupersuper, Danja and 2 others like this.
  7. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Joann and Keyla in the morning!

Masiral, Unionized Elf, Danja and 2 others like this.
  8. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

I think 4 seasons

Quinton likes this.
  9. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Hey, we're not ordering a pizza here.:lol:

Quinton and Danja like this.
  10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There were never ANY serious reports of Discovery's death, it was always a hit right out of the gate, as well as a huge moneymaker. The only reports in this vein were that a small percentage of fans that couldn't handle new Trek and so they tried to create viral social media rumors, and those do persist to this day to ever-diminishing returns and ever-increasing laughter.

As for the length of Discovery's run: I've gone on record before saying 4-5 years. The main reason had to do with the expense of the show and the cachet and popularity of the actors.

Discovery is now onto its 4th season, so of course, it will at least hit that. 5 Years is still possible, but I think Discovery has a chance to continue to 10 even if some of its actors leave, they will simply recast, as they've already had some regulars and semi-regulars do. The show's milieu will continue as it is well-established and has spawned several spinoffs.

RAMA

Muji likes this.
  11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nope, the plan was always to have several shows run through the year and preferably one every quarter year to support CBSAA.

12. The Witch of Winter

I love the idea of a constant availability of Star Trek in different forms. Keeps things interesting.

13. Danja

I'm going to say seven.

(1) It's tradition for Trek (the most successful shows have run seven seasons).

(2) You have to cut the thing off SOMETIME (Netflix cancels shows after four seasons. They believe in keeping a constant flow of new material in the pipeline.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    The Witch of Winter likes this.
  14. The Witch of Winter

This. I don't want Star Trek, of any series, to turn into The Simpsons, where it has gone on so long it's lost most of its fun and flavor (IMO, of course).

15. Danja

Be grateful we haven't been treated to Marvel's "one season wonder" strategy (WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier).

Marvel TFATWS spoiler:
    It was refreshing to see Julia Louis-Dreyfus playing a dramatic role (she's done comedy for so many years).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Lord Garth likes this.
  16. Quinton

Quinton Captain Captain

I know. :P

Speaking of which, I'm still scratching my head regarding Nhan's actress being elevated to main cast in the third season.

Jinn likes this.
  17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I kept thinking it would be a situation where she left the ship, but then would come back. That still might happen, but I thought it would all happen in the third season.

I can't prove this, but I think the plan was to have her be a regular, then something must've happened where the actress had to back out. What that something would've been, I have no idea. I think it has "they had one plan but then external circumstances forced them to change direction" written all over it.

They didn't kill her off. So they left a window for Nhan to return, even as they wrote her out.

Quinton likes this.
  18. Muji

Muji Commander Red Shirt

I went with seven. I just get the feelings my they want it to be the flagship for some time to come and that they don’t want it to appear as if it was any less successful than other shows. This is based off of... very little.

Lord Garth, Quinton and Danja like this.
  19. Quinton

Quinton Captain Captain

Yeah, you and I are of roughly the same belief about this. It’s funny, I mean, it’s not something that will garner much attention now, but if it’s never explained, I can just see it spawning a dozen persistent suppositions at fan conventions in the decades to come!

20. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

7 seasons. The show is doing well I think, it has two spin-off series already... well maybe Picard is not a direct spin-off but it is in the same universe. Season 4 is on the way and it maybe the best season yet.