Spoilers Legion season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Friends, I"m bowing out of this one and will see you in a soup when the show comes back.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

You can purchase it on itunes right now.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

It's also on Google Play and presumably all other major digital outlets.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 3 should start with David having sex with Lenny while Amy's spirit looks on disapprovingly Ben Kenobi style.

5. Enterprise is Great

That's ...ew..^

6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not in certain parts of Mississippi.

Jason

7. Scargate

Scargate Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I feel as though I'm so off on my interpretation of what happened this season, but at the same time I'm happy with my take on it, even if it's likely completely wrong. To me, it felt like the scenes depicting the delusions and talking about how if 9 people decide the 10th is crazy then the 10th is getting hanged was so powerful to how they decided to end the season with everyone "betraying" David.

The Shadow King had done so many unspeakable things that the "heroes" shrugged at or let go because they believed David was going to be the biggest big bad ever if no one was around capable of stopping him, and in a sense they're not wrong. It's like a nuclear war debate. If only one person has them, perhaps they'll not use them to bring control under themselves, but perhaps they will.

It made all the sense in the world from David's perspective to kill Faruk. With him out of the way, there was no great threat to himself, or to the life he wanted to go lead with Syd. Syd's actions also make some sense, though are dubious as well. But given the delusion stories we've been getting, I believe we're to believe that it's just like an idea that's festered and infected one person after another that David's the one to worry about. A very natural fear that's ballooned to that climax.

The one question I had in the moment, was why Sydney didn't just go and run away with David. By doing so he'd likely remain the loveable David, devoted to her. World likely spared. But that would've been a horrible sacrifice given what he'd done to her and what she believed him to be capable of in the future. If she ever broke his heart, fearing he'd snap and end the world. So I think by the point where they put him on trial, after he'd altered her memories to forget Faruk's manipulation, that once that was reversed and she knew he'd done that to her, it was too late. She, and the rest of them, had given up on hearing David out. They believed they could save him, and the world, by doing what they did. To them he was simply sick in the head and needed help.

And in the end that delusion and hubris that they could save the day just made David see their betrayal, get fed up with it, and delve ever further into the path they were all trying to prevent, a path he likely doesn't go down if they all don't abandon him like they do. But for them, he's too powerful, too dangerous, too different, and he can't be controlled. For them, that's scary, for anyone it could be. That's what's so interesting about the mutant/human dilemma of a new species growing out of an old one.

With the power David has, and with no one around him who he'd want to try and be better for, there's no telling where season 3 will go. So many interesting possibilities. An exciting prospect. So glad they got another season.

Set Harth likes this.
  8. Scargate

Scargate Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I can't imagine it will. I think David realizing and understanding that what he did was unforgivable and disgusting, and that what he intended to do and what he did didn't line up with the reality of what happened, is a lot of what broke him and will haunt the version of himself that cared for her at some point.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love this show so much. Amazed but happy it's getting a third season.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having rewatched the finale again, I still think it's very possible that the idea that David raped Syd is a delusion.

My theory is that David intended to free Syd from the delusions fed to her by Farouk when she was down the drain, just as he had freed people from the chattering. No one accused David of drugging people back when he did that. The idea was that his powers worked to free them from their personal mazes. He might have even been successful in his attempt to free Syd, but then Farouk used a mouse to put her back under his spell.

If you notice in the animated battle at the beginning, Farouk gains the upper hand when he uses the form of Syd to distract David. I think that was foreshadowing the finale, further supporting the idea that the accusation is a deception engineered by Farouk.

As to how the Admiral got compromised, maybe that has something to do with Ptonomy getting absorbed into the machine.

It's odd how at least some people seem to be willing to summarily throw David under the bus without giving him the benefit of the doubt, when there's this villain around who is known to implant delusions in character's heads. Turning against him based on what we know strangely parallels the summary judgment of Division 3 at the end, and it's the kind of threat that someone with David's history would be especially terrified of. I think that's part of the point, and I think the point may also be that there's an insidious temptation to believe that he really did something wrong, which is in part based on the fact that we know he's not completely right in the head.

I'm not saying my theory is correct. How would I really know? I didn't write the show. But I think it's very much worth considering going forward. I'm really looking forward to how this continues.

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it might also be delusion. It's possible Farouk wants David to do down a evil path and this would be one way to do it. I'm not sure what his endgame is suppose to be. I think he wants David back because didn't he say he loved him?

Jason

12. The Nth Doctor

Jeremie Harris says Ptonomy isn't dead.

I don’t understand why anyone would ever say Ptonomy is dead. It’s in the X-Men world and the Legion world. It’s just part of the journey of existing. He now has this new form and in a way has come out of his shell and has a new road to go down. I think a lot of shows are prisoner to not being able to break the rules in those ways. That’s the character and they’re going to play that and do that season after season. Here we’re able to reinvent characters and send them down whole new roads. So it’s more of a birth than a death that he went through.​

13. Enterprise is Great

Legion ending with season 3

14. The Nth Doctor

Works for me. I prefer a controlled ending over the show abruptly ending with major loose ends. I look forward to what Noah Hawley gives in the final season.

15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Legion has been a great show and I'm looking forward to season 3. Really going to miss it when it's gone, though I think the show has high rewatchability.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

17. The Nth Doctor

Oh, interesting. I was beginning to think we wouldn't see him. I knew it was a long shot to get either Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy, but I think Harry Lloyd is a great casting choice.

18. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Finally got caught up on season 2 last night and I loved it

I really liked how they handled the astral plane battles. The Shadow King is a really good bad guy too and I like how he was portrayed and acted. Poor Oliver getting tortured though. That guy can't catch a break. Cary and Kerry are frickin awesome.

I was very surprised how serious shit got with the rape thing in the last episode. There really is no salvation for David unless it turns out his "real" personality has been buried and locked up for awhile. I think something like this happened in New Mutants with Majik. David seems destined for a lifetime in the rubber room unless Chuck can fix his noggin next season.

Anyway, I can't wait for the final season.

gblews likes this.
  19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The other characters just need to get their heads out of their butts and realize they got played by Farouk.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

At this point (pending new information in the upcoming season), that's exactly how I see it. Farouk played them all by infecting them with delusions.