Legendary's Godzilla 2 & beyond - News & Rumors

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", May 11, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eeep, if that's the other stuff coming out in May, then March probably would have been better.

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That Godzilla picture is cool.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He shouldn't have eaten that boatload of hot peppers.

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  5. Kai "the spy"

Yeah, that position does make him look rather Earl Sinclair-ish.

6. Christopher

Come to think of it... All three of the other monsters in this film can fly. Hmm...

Greg Cox likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I first saw those images when "The Omni Viewer" on YouTube discussed them last night. He pointed out something about the Godzilla shot which I probably would not have noticed on my own. His spines seem a bit larger now, a bit more in proportion to the various Toho suits and somewhat of a blend between the 1954 design and those of the Millennium Godzilla (the craggy purple "shards"). Which, in my opinion, is a good thing! I certainly did not mind the crocodilian look of Gareth Edward's 2014 design, but I wished his spines had been just a little bigger. Now they seem to be.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I swear I must have seen the first Legendary Godzilla but I can't recall a single thing about it.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Maybe you need to reread the novelization. :)

11. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Kai "the spy" likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I wonder if the classified markers on the Monarch map will eventually be declassified to reveal new monsters, or if they're just there to make it look like there's more going on around the world.

13. Christopher

I tried to remember if any of them corresponded to the locations of classic monster movies, but other than (obviously) Tokyo, I couldn't think of any specific connections.

14. Kai "the spy"

15. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Christopher

All the kaiju look impressive, but that shot of Mothra's wings unfurling is really beautiful.

lurok likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks great. I wonder what exactly it is that they need all of the "Titans" for?

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  18. Christopher

I initially thought it sounded like the Earth needs them to destroy humanity before we completely destroy the biosphere. Although on a rewatch, I get the sense that it's more like humanity unleashed some more immediate, kaiju-level threat that we need the kaiju to save us from.

These films seem to be borrowing the '90s Gamera trilogy's idea of kaiju as the Earth's protectors -- complete with the idea that if we humans become too great a threat to the Earth, the kaiju will come for us. Although I'm also reminded of Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. Not only did that have three kaiju teaming up against Godzilla (although the third was Baragon, not Rodan), but said kaiju were cast in the role of the ancient spiritual protectors of Japan -- but only of the land itself, not necessarily of the humans occupying it. This film seems to be taking a similar tack, that the Titans are protectors of the Earth itself, but not necessarily of humanity.

I get the impression that Vera Farmiga's character decides the Titans need to be unleashed as the only way to save the world, and her daughter calls her a monster for it because the collateral damage in human lives will surely be immense.

Anwar and mos6507 like this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a thought, what if they need Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan to fight Ghidora? I believe he is usually presented as main big bads of the franchise.

mos6507 and Chaos Descending like this.
  20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

From the trailer, cleansing Earth of a large amount of humanity so the planet can recover from us.