Legendary AF: Hellboy (2019)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Oct 6, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we do see Rasputin again, I have a feeling it won't be for at least a few movies. They seemed to make a point of avoiding the Guillermo Del Toro movies' supporting cast, so I have a feeling they'll do the same with the villains, at least for a while.

2. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Commodore Commodore

Ron Perlman is to Hellboy what Tobey MaGuire was to Spider-Man or Lynda Carter was for Wonder Woman or what Christopher Reeve was to Superman or Sigourney Weaver was for Lt Ripley (when the inevitable reboot of Alien comes)

Now if the reboot's working title, changed for spoiler reasons, was "Hellboy vs Gordon Chumway", I'd be more interested. But maybe the new take will be the next best thing, it's very possible.

3. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Commander Red Shirt

The superbly put together marketing campaign continues. Here's a crappy exposition scene to get you excited for a horror superhero epic.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is getting really bad reviews, and they seem to have pretty much confirmed my worst fears, that the characters and story are really thin, and that it is overly reliant on an excessive amount of violence and gore. So this will be a either Netflix or Amazon Prime one for me. I'm not a huge fan of gore, but if the characters and story are good enough I can put up with it, sadly that doesn't appear to be the case with this.

5. The Lensman

The Lensman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, this movie is getting shit on big time. Hate to see that happen to a great character, but the movie looked like shit, especially with “Hey, look how gory and funny our film is......like Deadpool “ vibe the trailers gave off. Ironically I watched the first Hellboy film last week and while there’s some FX that haven’t aged well, it felt like the comic I used to read before it became an entire universe.

Was on the fence before about seeing it, not looking good now.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Vox's review is pretty damn brutal, highlighting that the visuals are the only good thing about, the dialogue is garbage, and the film completely wastes David Harbour. I usually agree with Vox's reviews, so that's enough to tell me not to bother.

Which really sucks. We get this mess instead of a third del Toro film. :(

7. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. The Nth Doctor

Wow, what a mess. No wonder the reviews are so bad.

I know it's a long shot, but perhaps they'll let del Toro do the third one after all. I know he said he's moved on, but I still cling onto hope Perlman convince him if ever the option. Again, like I said, a long shot.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Random_Spock likes this.
  9. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it today and it was underwhelming. The CGI was poor. I did laugh at some spots that were possibly not intended to be humorous. VERY gory and gross which explains the R rating.
    Saw a nazi wearing what looked like 3D glasses for no apparent reason. The red side had a little swastika on it.
    Did like some of the music, Rock You Like a Hurricane and Alice Cooper's Welcome to my Nightmare.

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're going to see it in a couple of hours.

11. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Disappointment over the now-never third Perlman flick magnified by the fact that the screwed the pooch on the re-do. That's really annoying, and probably the last we'll see of the character on the big screen for a long time. :(

Maybe some more animated tales instead?

12. StCoop

Already had tickets booked before the reviews came out, so we didn't want the money to be wasted and went anyway. Honestly, I've seen a lot worse and would probably have loved it when I was 13.

The CGI was astonishingly bad, though. Seriously, SyFy movie level at times.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

People left during my screening it was so shite - I stuck it out but I made a mistake, I should have left with them...

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't think it was horrible as some of the reviews indicated. I do much prefer the other versions.
    We didn't have any leavers and it was actually more crowded than Shazam last week.

15. StCoop

I have to say that fat, old, Thomas Haden Church stuffed into a leather outfit as Lobster Johnson for the six people whose life would not be complete until someone put Lobster Johnson on screen was a good contender for most embarrassing cinema moment of the year.

JoeZhang likes this.
  16. The Nth Doctor

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this does kill Big Red's movie career, then maybe they could switch over to a live action series on a cable channel like FX or Syfy, or one of the streaming services.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If?

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Commodore Commodore

The low budget (for a superhero movie) means a decent foreign showing can actually still lead to a profit... Not enough profit to warrant a sequel probably, but BO dud status is not yet guaranteed.

20. The Nth Doctor

...except it's critically being destroyed. Combine that with weak earnings, this is good as dead and good riddance. We should've gotten del Toro's third film.