Legend of the Seeker - The Most Under Rated Series?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Indysolo, Mar 18, 2009.

1. cb31

cb31 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not nearly as talented! I admit Lucy Lawless ain't bad, but Kevin Sorbo a great actor is NOT and Renee O'Connor has absolutely no talent in my opinion ( which admittedly is just my own). :)

I did enjoy seeing Michael hurst on LOTS though, I always thought Iolaus was the best part about Hercules.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, to be fair to LotS, Hercules and Xena weren't all that dramatic in their first seasons either. Hercules and Xena never got that great with drama until their 3rd seasons. LotS may pick up and give us our very own "Maternal Instincts" or "Faith".

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Lucy Lawless is a brilliant character actress, a gifted chameleon able to transform herself seemingly effortlessly (a skill that was made extensive use of with all the Xena lookalikes and alternate personas of Xena she portrayed). Michael Hurst, as I believe I said, is one of New Zealand's most acclaimed stage actors; his Hamlet is considered definitive. Renee O'Connor was quite good, I thought; she was certainly effective at adapting to the profound changes her character went through over the course of the series. As for Sorbo, he's not great when he's allowed to get self-indulgent, but at his best he's quite effective, certainly better than you'd expect a big square-jawed muscleman type like him to be.

As for the LotS cast, Bruce Spence is pretty good, though not particularly subtle; but the two younger leads are fairly limited. At best they're roughly on Sorbo's average level.

4. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

They're too pivotal to be left out completely. ;)

As for the show, I quite enjoy it. I watch every week. Yes, the plot is thus far VERY different from the books... but that's okay! I understand why they did it, and it keeps me from knowing everything that's going to happen ahead of time. I'm glad its doing well, and can't wait til next week! :D

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My wife and stepdaughter seem to like it, I watched 1 1/2 episodes and my mind wandered to washing the dishes. I'm not really a fantasy fan to begin with but this looked several levels below Krull.

RAMA

6. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I watch the show, but neither the characters nor the overall story have grabbed me in any significant way. The episodes I have liked best have been ones that focus on guest characters - like "Puppeteer" or the one with the boy who could read minds. I'm really having a hard time pinning down why I haven't gotten into the series like I thought I would. I think I'm discovering that my tolerance for straight fantasy is dwindling as I get older.

I think maybe another part of its lack of appeal is that the series isn't doing much to develop the characters -- or rather that what they ARE doing isn't really landing. Each week they are presented with a challenge -- they face it, defeat it (usually with the aid of convenient plot devices -- a box, a spell, a potion), and move on. The only character development has been the romance between Richard and Kahlan, which to my mind has been sudden and rather unfounded in anything other than shared peril.

I'm willing to stick with it, though, and see if it grows into something more appealing. :)