Least favorite type of episode

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by gakelly, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Yes and yes. Plus Troi in addition to getting old was becoming nasty and stabbed Picard.

gazomg likes this.
  2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, you hit it all. I don’t have much to add or that’s different.

3. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

Good points, forgot about those. That Pulaski episode was pretty good, though!

4. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

where main character falls in love for the week and then forgets all about the lover by the next episode

dupersuper, Brennyren and 1001001 like this.
  5. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Of those 'aging quickly' episodes, only "DISTANT VOICES" did not have a character actually age, since it was all in Bashir's head.

6. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

I'm not a huge fan of "girl (or more rarely, guy) of the week" episodes, though I'll readily concede there have been some good ones on the various Treks. (TOS's "This Side of Paradise," TNG's "In Theory" and VOY's "Counterpoint" come to mind.) To me, they often seem like not much more than a way to give a main character something to do, and a writing shortcut to explain why we should actually care what happens to the guest character. ("Lights of Zetar," are your ears burning?) And sometimes, they just straight-up suck. (I would say, "Think of 'Sub Rosa,'" but asking you to do that would just be mean.)

1001001 likes this.
  7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Yes, Counterpoint is a fantastic episode.

8. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I don't particularly like episodes where a character has a one-episode romance. And yes, I'm tired of the "holodeck safeties off" trope. The holodeck's safety protocols should pretty much always work, period.

Nyotarules likes this.
  9. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Until it doesn't work...

10. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think a lot depends on whether you like the franchise it's alluding to. For example, I've never had anything with Westerns, and for that reason, to me, a Fistful of Datas always was a yet-another-lame-holodeck-malfunction episode. Yet, I've seen several people on this board describe it as a great nod to Westerns. I like James Bond to a certain (modest) extent because it's all so ridiculous and over the top and therefore, I could also appreciate Take Me Out to the Holosuite, but only to that same degree.

I think her becoming nasty was the primary effect, channeling all those negative emotions, and her growing old as well merely a concomitant effect, as the result of the extreme stresses she was subjected to.

I think one of the best episodes using that trope was Facets, DS9. Gave a lot of the main cast the opportunity to play a different role for once, and not of the cartoonish villain variety, and not done in the old tired 'hey, x is acting weird .... wait, x is not being herself!' way.

Farscape One likes this.
  11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

One type I don't care of- When Beverly is on her high horse.

12. Vger23

One of my most disliked episodes of the entire series. So mind-numbingly boring.

13. Vger23

One of the reasons I don't like S2 of TOS as much as the other two is that I actually don't usually like the "parallel Earth" stories.

It's all relative, as I'll take S2 of TOS over most other seasons in the franchise...but in terms of episode types that don't resonate with me, that category is one to take note of.

14. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't even like this in sitcoms. I like The Goldbergs, but I'd like it A LOT more if it wasn't the same characters (mostly the mom) learning the same lesson over and over and over and over and over and over...

Um...huh?

It also cements the fact that every one in the Federation should be ageless and practically immortal.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Usually episodes that are about children, 12 or under.

Mathieu and Jadeb like this.
  16. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My bad. Where I said Take Me Out to the Holosuite I meant Our Man Bashir.

17. 1moreRobot

1moreRobot Lieutenant Red Shirt

Episodes set up primarily to use existing sets and costumes (the crew finds a planet that’s just like the Wild West/Nazi Germany/Ancient Rome/etc.)

Mathieu likes this.
  18. Coops

Coops Captain Captain

In anything other than TOS (where it was simply part of Kirks daily routine, like washing etc) I'm not a fan of romance episodes. Possibly stemming from the uncomfortable feeling I'd get watching Picard getting it on with Nella Daren whilst my Mum was also in the room:lol: but they often feel forced and ultimately pointless. Riker ISN'T going to make a go of it with Carmen Davila and there was NO FUTURE for Janeway and Sullivan what with the whole him-being-a-hologram-and-not-real thing (I mean, how solid are these holograms?:whistle:).

That said, I could buy into the Picard/Crusher will they/won't they and the heartache for Stamets and Culber so I'm not a complete robot.

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

[​IMG]

20. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Arghhh. You are so right. "Take me out to the Holosuite" and "Nightingale" are also appalling examples. Sisko should have understood baseball better, and Harry had had years of tutelage in command under teachers like Janeway, Tuvok, and even Chakotay.

JirinPanthosa likes this.