Learning How to Draw/Make Ship Designs

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Disposable_Ensign, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Disposable_Ensign

Disposable_Ensign Commander Red Shirt

I was browsing the Journal of Applied Treknology, and saw some really amazing ship designs. I'm interested in making some myself, but I don't even know where to start in learning how (e.g., what software to use). Any suggestions?

scifieric likes this.
  2. MisterD

MisterD Commander Red Shirt

Well...the obvious one is probably Blender. Its free and open source. And there are dozens of you tube channels providing free tutorials.

blender.org - Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software

It can be a little overwhealming at the beginning. But it dosent really take a long time to get hooked and achieve good results. For starters I would recommend the channel Blender Guru - YouTube wich is kind of the classical, go to guy for beginners. Grant Abbitt - YouTube for exaple is also very good and has a discord with a lovely community to start at. But honestly there are too many good content creators with helpful quick tips and tutorials and to name them all would take half the day.

You might find "some" tutorial where people use advanced techniques wich are complicated and not easy to use as a beginner. But keep in mind that you really only need a tiny fraction of blenders features to make your design become real. (and it highly depends on what you want to achieve. Its ok for concept art to be kinda sloppy in the execution. And a model wich is supposed to shown in an image has other requirement then one for a video game or movie...)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Disposable_Ensign and blssdwlf like this.
  3. Disposable_Ensign

I am familiar with Blender. I should specify 2D designs, but thank you for the response.
    (Example of what I mean:
    [​IMG])

publiusr likes this.
  4. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Kaiser and Disposable_Ensign like this.
  5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Nacelle-pox

Disposable_Ensign likes this.
  6. Disposable_Ensign

Can anyone recommend a good _free_ 2D design program, like Corel Draw?

7. angille

angille Ensign Newbie

I use Illustrator on my work machine and Affinity Designer on my hobby machine, but neither are free in any way. At least Affinity is pay-once rather than a subscription.

The free alternative to those apps is Inkscape, which is... well it's pretty darn good for free.

Disposable_Ensign likes this.