Last Doctor Who Story you listened to?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Just heard The One Doctor the other day - that was quite fun, even though I loathe Biggins.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I might give that a go.

Just picked up a couple of Third Doctor sets - what's the verdict on Tim Treloar ? Sounds quite good on the bit I tried.

3. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ravenous 4. I’m not the biggest fan of shoehorning all the Masters (especially Missy) into it but it works. At least River isn’t in it this time round. It’s cool to have the movie Master back facing the Doctor.

4. Lonemagpie

Patient Zero - that was OK

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

This one might not be for you then :

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/masterful-limited-edition-2197

I just ordered mine.

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  6. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Commodore Commodore

(emphasis added by me)

(no emphasis was added by me)

Except RTD was the Virgin NA writer, roughly a decade before becoming producer/showrunner of the official show (revived because fifteen years' worth of book sales finally convinced them of an audience, or so the customers claimed would happen a mere three years into the range as the titles became increasingly lame (IMHO).) Shearman also wrote for Big Finish before being on official staff. Ditto for Roberts. Is it only allowable for those who did official work to jump on board the unofficial stuff or only the other way around or both? (Given the implied context, one should be on the official BBC show before doing novels or deemed non-canon material?)

I'm leaning toward kirk55555 on this since goalposts seem to be everywhere on the field on both sides, though as far as I could care DW is DW based on whatever the writers put out and I'm not sure the BBC considers novels and audios canon (to my understanding they do not, but individual viewers may make their own canon based on their own likes and/or dislikes). To thet point, the audience isn't obligated to like what's made (regardless of what form it's in, official and from whatever source) and each person in the audience has a slightly different take on what they want. After all, there are youtube channels' vidfo makers who erroneously claim DW was a "show for kids" as conceived in 1963 - often claimed by those under 30 who never bothered to do any research... now think about lore and stories handed down for centuries if not millennia and wonder how much of it got "retconned" over time. It was an all-family show (per Howe/Stammers/Walker and other nonfiction sources! Even on DVD documentaries, Verity Lambert herself said she and hew writing staff wrote the show for themselves at some points.) Either which way, the 1963 material often treats children a lot more intelligently, as well as feeling exponentially more mature and adult than most of 2005-present combined. Depends on how one defines "adult", of which the modern take seems decidedly immature, but I digress.

7. Lonemagpie

The Condemned, the first of the Sixie and Cherley audios. That wasn't bad. I seem to have mislaid my Brotherhood Of The Daleks, so will have to skip that one before the next Six/Charley.

8. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Embrace The Darkness starring Eight and Charley. Was not really engaged by this story and felt like a slog getting through it. There were one or two scary parts when people lost their sight.