Kurzweil at Google

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by RAMA, Dec 27, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Digital Trends has an assessment of the implications.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ray-kurzweil-brings-his-singular-focus-to-google/

The not so obvious returns, aside from products:

http://www.zdnet.com/google-hires-kurzweil-a-look-at-the-returns-7000008844/

The way I see it, this is still part of the "self-fulfilling" prophecy(at the risk of using theistic terms). AI advancement and potential Singularity are being created on a wide front, likely impossible to stop, BUT without a directed, self-aware focus it may not come as fast as is possible. Google, its CEO's, former employees, and related visionaries are at the forefront of creating technologies needed, once thought impossible or unlikely, the fact we have or will have the technology soon is reflected in the fact they are going to put their money where there mouth is.

These are technologies predicted by Kurzweil, and by a certain timeline, it seems appropriate he can influence their continued development.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

He didn't "predict" those technologies any more than I did. Everything you listed has been on the table since at least the mid-'90s, and in some cases, much earlier.

I'll go a step further: predicting things is easy. Making them happen is hard. So, I will be curious to see what comes out of Kurzweil's work here. Google does a lot of interesting stuff, and they are at the bleeding edge of data analytics and processing.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Actually, its certain many technologies were predicted so to speak in sci fi many decades before, the point is Kurweil built up a connected series of technology predictions and actually has come close to predicting when they will come to pass(most are not so bold..mainly because they didn't have Kurzweil's math to back them up), and how they fit into our future, and has been far more accurate than Arthur C Clarke, or Heinlein or most technological futurists. In fact, in the case of some of these technologies, there has been vehement argument that they won't happen("wearable computers, goggles, etc are one of these: "people will never wear these!!":guffaw:), or surely not before much further in the future, well they were wrong.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Don't you have anything better to do than threadshit?

6. gturner

gturner Admiral

I predicted touch screen contact lens displays, just in the hope that someone will make them and then all the tweens will sit around poking themselves in the eye all day.

7. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering Kurzweil is a much better inventor than he is a futurist -- and considering the majority of his predictions have failed to come true -- I'd bet on his ability to INVENT those technologies before his ability to predict their development... or, for that matter, their practicality.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Should I have started a new thread? Oh my bad. Ty for your continued useless and uninformed input.