Knights of the Old Republic Series on the way

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by ichab, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Prepares himself for all the fans and their disappointment.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Why, you said it in this very thread!

And I agree wholeheartedly. That'd be a fantastic change of pace to how SW films typically look.

Kor likes this.
  4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah I've also said as much in the past, and I suspect they will do something like that to aesthetically distinguish the two periods (as George did for the prequels), but I'm not sure if they'll necessarily go for *that* specific look.
    For example; maybe something more evocative of our ancient world, like say a mix of ancient Egyptian, Maya, and Far Eastern clothing and architecture, with ships that look like something Vikings and Polynesians might have designed.

After being so fond of the TotJ comics, the way KoTOR hewed much closer to the movies always felt a little off to me.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here, I've always been a bit disappointed that the KOTOR games and comics really didn't look all that different from the prequels. I would have thought things would have changed a bit more in over 1,000 years. I understand that since tech isn't a big focus of Star Wars the way it is in other franchises, it's easy to just say that the tech has stayed pretty much the same, so you can keep things familiar, but I would still expect things to look at least a little bit more different than they did in KOTOR.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, you have to have hyperdrive, or else the whole traveling around to other planets in a workable timeframe thing, a SW staple, goes away. So there's bound to be a high technological level just for that alone, and if you want a 'primitive' feel it could seem a bit forced. Same with lightsabers. You're gonna have to have lightsabers. The TOTJ era had some kind of plug-in power pack for them IIRC but that's really as primitive as they got.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a lot of lore around the original lightsabers and their development, so there is plenty for them to play with.
    I personally would prefer would ornate sabers and far more fencing style than what we got in the films.

Force imbued blade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More lightsaber style:
    [​IMG]

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah...as I've said before, that whole approach to the "Je'daii" in the EU never did a thing for me, on pretty much any level, and the force imbued blades really kind of exemplify everything that I disagree with about said approach.

For me, the half the point of the way the Jedi fell was because they're *not* supposed to be Great Warriors, that this is something that they slid towards over time as by increments they became fore fixated on the material without even really noticing how much they'd changed. So for the supposed start point to show them as bing pretty much carbon copies, only with metal swords and some "Grey Jedi" edgelord BS mixed in couldn't be farther from what I envisioned.

Anyway, if they're really going with KoTOR as the main touchstone, then these aren't going to be "golden age" Jedi but a more familiar incarnation still embroiled with the Sith. (call them "silver age", for lack of a better term.)

I'd also suggest that rather than have the Jedi start off with primitive technology that got better over time, go the opposite generation and have the ancient Jedi be WAY more advanced than what we see later. A true golden age, touching on Atlantean style myths of once great civilisations now lost to time, and all that left is this one order of monks with their lightsabers and holocrons being the only surviving technology that once used the force to move stars and build planets.
    That to me seems much more faithful the the fairytale/fantasy underpinnings of Star Wars. The old EU version always felt too rooted in Sci-Fi IMO.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't necessarily think things need to look "primitive", just different from what we saw in the prequels. Even if things haven't really advanced much on a purely technical level, I would at least expect design sensibilities to have.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The way I envision it: look at the aesthetics and design of the Jedi Temple and just apply that to all of Coruscant and you'd instantly get the sense of a more ancient but also more advanced and cultured world.
    Indeed, it's be cool if they showed Coruscant like that and not entirely covering the terrain. Like when the Temple was still a mountain top retreat and the capital hadn't swallowed up every trace of nature yet. But I suspect that hasn't been the case since long before the Sith split away, so I doubt it'll be the case in the era they first choose to depict.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019