Kirk's Daily Schedule

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember the glasses themselves being described as antiques, anyway. Just that they're an antique style. Probably meant to appeal to someone's affectations for the past.

And as a wearer of glasses, I've been told more than once that when getting new glasses, it is best to get new frames as well. The stress of trying to mount new lenses in old frames can break the frames. This would be especially true for actual three hundred year old frames.

2. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

but weren't they antiques already in 1984, which is why Kirk was able to get any money at all for them? Would someone replace original, although broken, lenses in antiques with new lenses? At that point they wouldn't really be antiques anymore and I would think would be less likely to be kept some place where they'd end up surviving until the 2280s. McCoy makes a point of saying that they're 400 years old and that you don't find many with the lenses still intact. To me that implies original 1800s lens

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Umm, the movies do not have McCoy describe the glasses.

In ST2, they are not said to be antiques - indeed, the glasses themselves are never even mentioned, not as such. Kirk says "What is it?", then opens the wrappings, then mumbles "Oh... Bones, this is... Charming...", after which they discuss Kirk's allergy to modern myopia remedies.

In ST4, it's the antique store owner who says that they are 18th century American, and in a separate sentence he adds that they'd be more valuable with lenses intact. He does not indicate that the lenses would be original, though. And 1700s glasses with original lenses wouldn't be much good for correcting one's myopia by 1980s standards, so the dealer probably accepts that the lenses have been replaced once or eightce already.

Timo Saloniemi

4. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

EDIT: Woops, never mind -- my post was already covered above, and I missed it the first time.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Peter David did a humorous bit with this theory in issue #10 of DC's second STAR TREK run.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Actually, that's not true. When Kirk takes the glasses, he jokingly asks if they're some sort of Klingon aphrodisiac, to which McCoy replies, "No, more antiques for your collection." He then adds that they're over four hundred years old and that it's rare to find many with the lenses still intact.

--Sran

7. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I seem to remember that from the novelization. Didn't Kirk ask "What are they?" and McCoy replied "They're for your eyes."?

8. Timo

Ah, the transcripts must be faulty, then - there's no such exchange recorded at Chrissie's usually trustworthy page. McCoy Just Says No there.

Timo Saloniemi

9. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's because the movie has some different versions. That scene is different in the DVD I have from the VHS I had, and I hear there's is a TV version still. Ther's also the book, when McCoy says the lenses are new.

I wonder how they broke, certainly not made of glass since apparently all glass was replaced by transparent Al in the 23rd century (up until the 24th when glass was being used in spaceship windows).

10. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

hehe, I have that.

11. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

I checked my two dvd versions to make sure I wasn't crazy ;). The director's edition does and the older one doesn't. The older one's captions also say "aboard a ship" instead of "border ship" when McCoy is explaining where he got the romulan ale. I didn't get the bluray out to check which dialog it has

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/400yearsold.jpg

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Still not right. That's straight hotlinking, Vegastrekkie, and not allowed. I won't give you an infraction this time, but remind you that we aren't cool with that here. There are other ways of showing your chosen image.

13. Vegastrekkie

Vegastrekkie Cadet Newbie

I appreciate you not giving me an infraction. I apologize.

14. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming that the Enterprise keeps a 24 hour day rather than 26 like, say, on DS9, Kirk has dinner at 5:30pm. Does that seem a bit early to anyone like a time that seniors stereotypically eat dinner, or is that a sly addition to the movie's theme about age, time, and the passing generation?

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't they become infinitely old and fall apart ?

16. Captain Clark Terrell

DS9's day was twenty six hours presumably because it was a Bajoran station. It would stand to reason that Federation ships crewed by mostly humans would follow a standard Earth clock and schedule.

That said, we know only what Kirk's schedule was for that particular day. It's possible he had an entirely different schedule the next day and the one following it. And as he ate a formal dinner with the Klingons at 19:30 hours, it's likely he didn't have a meal two hours before that, unless it was just a snack.

--Sran

17. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Also, his schedule could have started at 0500 that day, so 1730 might not be that early - not that 5:30 is crazy early for dinner.

Plus, the "seniors eat early" meme is from a time when restaruants had early-bird specials to encourgage patronage before the normal dinner hours. So really it isn't that seniors like to eat early, it's because they're cheap (and aren't at work at 4:30 pm).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  18. Timo

I wasn't aware of such a meme - but the Nordic countries are known for their early eating hours in general, so I for one wouldn't see anything odd about a dinner at five-ish, or lunch at eleven.

The other schedule Okudagram shows Spock waking up at 5:30 and having breakfast at 6:00, it seems. The next meal break is at 12:30, then 17:30, then it's free time until 22:00 when he goes to sleep. Sounds like the routine extends to several if not all personnel and all days, really.

The Okudagram does say it's Spock's daily schedule, so by the strict definition it shouldn't vary from day to day. But of course the specific items like meetings with specific departents are likely to be relevant only for that specific day, so the schedule doesn't meet the strict definition...

Kirk's dinner with the Klingons might have been quite a surprise to everybody involved. It seems to have been organized during Kirk and Spock's personal free time, and could have upset quite a few schedules. If I were Kirk, I might also attend such an occasion well fed - less risk of my blood sugar getting me into diplomatic trouble, and less risk of me having to fill up with Klingon delicacies!

Timo Saloniemi

19. Captain Clark Terrell

Well, some of the items are a different color, so those may be last-minute changes or additions to the schedule by another department head, but they show up on Kirk or Spock's schedule because they would need to know about them.

--Sran

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk had dinner at 5:30 because (perhaps) he daily ate both a dinner and later a supper.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.