Kirk Casting...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SeamusShameless, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could have both if they would only cast Eion Bailey. :D By "embody the qualities," I assume you're talking about something other than acting talent (which we would always want, regardless of everything else), more along the lines of innate persona. Quinto is a talented actor but he also has the "intelligent outsider" persona that Nimoy projected, which I think is something you have to be born with, it's not really governed by acting talent. If he were given a role where that persona were totally wrong, he'd have to fight against it in the role. Much better to give him a role where his persona works FOR him.

Same with Bailey. He's already demonstrated in Band of Brothers that his persona is "sincere, straight-arrow hero" - that's Kirk's core the way "intelligent outsider" is Spock's core. He's got the right looks, persona and talent, I really don't see what the hold-up is here!

2. fudgefase

fudgefase Lieutenant Red Shirt

"Well, the first Kirk was Canadian."

Oops, sorry, forgot. Yes, to us Brits, a nice, soft American accent tends to be a Canadian one. But you guys aren't so hot on Brit accents either (Scottish/Irish etc), so let's not make an issue out of this - we're all brothers and sisters in the Trek universe.

3. fudgefase

fudgefase Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just for the hell of it, I ran TOS captain Kirks face through the my heritage face recognition site. I got - Heath Ledger, John Travolta, Mick Fleetwood (there's a scary thought for Shatner),Vin Deisel, KD Lang(!), Ryan Renolds and Marc Almond. Bizarrely enough, I didn't get William Shatner....
    I realise all it does is poo poo the face recognition software they have, but if anyone's got better stuff, put in the face and see what comes out.