Spoilers Killjoys - Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, that was a startling and major loss. Heck, the one I thought was going to die was Pree. The moment he promised his boyfriend that he'd come back, that pretty much sealed his fate by the laws of dramatic irony. That could still happen.

Then again, Turin is a pretty good candidate for getting killed off in the finale, the whole redemptive-sacrifice thing. (Although we thought that already happened in the season 1 finale, but he survived.)

I'm starting to agree with the person who said this feels like it's building toward a series finale. I mean, where else can the story go beyond all-out war? Although I guess we still haven't met "the Lady" that Aneela is at odds with, so I presume that's the next step of the story.

Honestly, I'm starting to wish they'd get past the big galactic epic stuff and let the Killjoys just be Killjoys again, going out on warrants and stuff. I miss the warrants.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess Pawter was the first major death, but Alvis getting killed feels bigger.

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Though why would Dutch kill him unless it was actually Aneela?

4. Christopher

I'm not sure why that would be. I'd say they were about equally prominent characters in season 1, and Pawter was even more central in season 2 (to the point that I never understood why they only credited the actress in the end titles, when even the voice of Lucy gets a guest star credit up front).

Maybe because Alvis is closer to Dutch, the lead character? Or because he's more central to the mythology arc of the series, since he's the one who uncovered the history of the Hullen on Arkyn? Or because he's so spiritually important to the community?

Yes, of course it was Aneela. That's what Aneela's voiceover at the end was meant to illustrate -- plus you could tell just from the lunatic grin on her face.

5. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

The warrants aren't all ;)

Most of the stuff they've done this season has been rather killjoyish in nature(find the remnant, enlist the aid of the warchief, attack the rack, convoy heist...), just without a warrant involved.

6. Christopher

Yeah, but the overall goal is to fight a war, rather than to do their jobs. It used to was (as my father liked to say), if somebody made a show about people doing a job, it was about them doing that job. Now it always has to become about some huge epic struggle, and the basics tend to get lost. Don't get me wrong, I like how the show has this big unified arc and mythology -- it certainly feels far more cohesive and well thought out than Dark Matter -- but just getting to see competent people do their job well is fun too. There's something to be said for cases of the week, for self-contained stories about diverse situations. For one thing, it lets you see the heroes actually solve problems decisively and succeed at things, whereas in ongoing arcs, things pretty much have to keep getting worse despite the heroes' best efforts.

The first season had a good balance of episodic and arc elements, and so did the second to an extent, but this season, I feel that the actual profession the show is named for has been overshadowed by the war stuff. I just miss seeing them do their job. Their actual job, as opposed to war missions that draw on their job skills.

Indeed, this season, the whole nature of the RAC has been basically exposed as a fraud. It was all a front by the Hullen to infiltrate human-settled worlds and recruit the best and brightest to be Hullenized. So that's a question worth asking: Once the war is over, what do the Killjoys do next? Their whole profession was a scam, but they were still trained to believe in its principles -- "Take no sides, take no bribes, the warrant is all." And that kind of non-partisan pseudo-peacekeeping force can still be useful after the war ends, and can perhaps help restore stability. So how do they win back the people's trust and reinvent themselves as an organization that really is what they were taught to believe it was? That could be a pretty interesting season arc in its own right. So much fiction focuses on fighting the wars, but I've always felt that wars create more problems than they solve, and the more interesting stories are about the aftermath, how society rebuilds and deals with those problems -- or fails to -- after the war is over.

7. dahj

I wouldn't mind if they got back to their roots, there's still a lot of this universe that's worth exploring outside of the Hullen, there's the Nine's (usual, non Hullen-related) machinations, various communities in the Quad, the hackmods, general space crime activities... plenty of stuff for hopefully more seasons.
    The show does work better when dealing with smaller scale stuff, I'd say this season's episodes have done alright in balancing the smaller scale shenanigans in a big scale conflict, but I agree that the whole looming war makes the show seem a bit more depressing because they do keep losing.

I don't think the war will last though, at least openly, past the season finale. Both for in universe reasons, because one side is horribly outgunned for any prolonged conflict to make sense, and production reasons, because the budget doesn't really allow for much spacefighting and explosions to be going on for multiple episodes.

Has it? I don't recall that ever being established. The Hullen obviously infiltrated the organization and used it for their own purposes, but I don't think they created the RAC. In a big galaxy with a lot of mainly independent systems with different political systems and laws it kinda follows that an organization like the RAC would have been created, without any need for nefarious motives behind its creation.

8. Marc

yep - if you have something like the RAC which can operate on all star systems outside the of local authority management then they are able to pursue whom ever the warrant is for no need for extradition etc thus escaping to another jurisdiction won't save one's arse.

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect Hannah John-Kamen isn't going to be sticking around after this Season so if it does come back it'll get a soft reboot,

10. Christopher

And of course the whole J Cluster beyond the Quad, which is just one system within it. So far we've seen very little of it -- the planet where Dutch grew up, the Jaqobis' home planet, the hackmods' sanctuary world, the world where Pree's warlord buddies live... okay, I guess we've actually seen a fair amount of it, but only in glimpses.

I do like the cohesiveness of the overall story arc. I'm just more interested in warrants than wars.

I can't swear to it, but I seem to recall dialogue saying that Khlyen basically created the RAC as a farm team for Level 6/Hullen recruits. Anyway, I didn't specifically say "created." My point about it being a Hullen front still stands whether it started that way or has just been completely co-opted over the past 2 centuries. Either way, it's been the Hullen's tool for longer than any normal human has been alive, so the difference is moot.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

12. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Christopher

That's good news, and a relief after learning of Dark Matter's cancellation. Of the two, Killjoys has always felt to me like a more cohesive saga and universe, so I'm glad it gets to tell a complete story with a planned ending.

14. dahj

Awesome news!
    That means after the finale we can skip the "will it get renewed" trepidations and go straight into speculating what's gonna happen next year :D

15. Marc

And guess it gives them a lock on Hannah John-Kamen for a couple of more years - or a least able to tell her when she'll bee needed for film and fit in around any movie productions.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Guess I picked the wrong one to keep watching! :p

17. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The plot thickens... again... :D

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really thought they were gonna clear the deck of a few more recurring characters there.

Maybe they can get Zoie Palmer to play The Lady now that she's free. :p

19. Christopher

Yeah... for the big epic war episode, it's surprising how few notable characters died. Basically just Alvis and Gander, as far as I recall, although the former is a very big one.

Still, some pretty major stuff happened. Aside from the two factions apparently uniting against the Lady, and Aneela apparently being cured of her insanity, we also have Pree and his bartender/boyfriend getting married.

I have to admit, I'm not crazy about the way this season has elevated the Green's abilities to be basically magic. It can turn ideas/memories into physical, living organisms, a shallow pool of it can somehow absorb two adult women and spit out a thousand large spiders, etc. I guess maybe it could be considered a biological equivalent of that replicator device the collector had last season, the 3D printer that could convert stored data into artifacts and vice versa, but there are issues with conservation of mass. (Plus there's the question I had before -- if the Hullen have the plasma inside their bodies at all times, why do they have to touch an external pool of plasma in order to communicate with the rest of the Hullen?)

20. dahj

Or Lucy's sister ;)

I wouldn't go so far as cured, just more stable and less vengeful and murdery.

Speaking of which, I noticed Aneela did a Force Push on Dutch, I though she could only do that to other Hullen because she can manipulate the Green in them, so was that just because Dutch was Hullen-born, or is Aneela a proper telekinetic?

Also, Dutch gave Aneela her lost memories, and then she gave them to the Green, but wasn't that exactly what Khlyen was trying to prevent?

I hope the budget for next season allows for some robot goats. :techman: