News Killjoys and Ant-Man and the Wasp's Hannah John-Kamen to Play Red Sonja in New Movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, May 5, 2021.

1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Christopher
    It just seems that a red head character ends up being the one that's being race changed more than others.
    I know there "white" but redheads get a lot if flack because of there hair, and they need represintation on screen as well so they can look up and see themselves on tv/movie and see someone like them be a hero, or do good in life. A bit of disservice that they continually see there characters changed.
    And yep, the woman from solo and Falcon is a natural redhead. The Irish is strong in that one! :techman:

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

She played at least 3 different characters on the Killjoys, so some of that probably depended on which character she was playing when you were watching.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I hardly think that's true. Using this list as a guide, and just limiting it to comics characters, we've got...

In movies:
    Alicia Masters
    Johnny Storm
    Kingpin
    Nick Fury
    Jasper Sitwell
    Heimdall
    Valkyrie
    Korath
    Mordo
    Liz Allen
    Flash Thompson
    Ned Leeds
    Bolivar Trask (in The Last Stand)
    Callisto
    Electro
    Agent Zero
    Blind Al
    Domino
    Carlton Drake (Venom)
    Harvey Dent
    Perry White
    Aquaman
    Mercy Graves
    Deadshot
    Artemis (Wonder Woman)
    Black Canary
    Iris West
    Hawkman (upcoming)
    Supergirl (upcoming)
    Catwoman (upcoming)
    Commissioner Gordon (upcoming)

And on TV:
    Catwoman (Eartha Kitt)
    Pete Ross
    Lana Lang (sort of -- diversely cast but white in-story, with white actors as both biological parents)
    J'onn J'onnz
    Deathstroke (Manu Bennett and Esai Morales)
    Iris West
    Zed Martin
    James Olsen
    Maggie Sawyer
    Manchester Black
    Bill Henderson
    Sarah Essen
    Leslie Thompkins
    Hugo Strange
    Garfield Logan
    Joseph Wilson/Jericho
    Don Hall/Dove
    Billy Wintergreen
    Crazy Jane
    Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man
    Liz Tremayne
    Matt Cable
    Madame Xanadu
    Daisy Johnson
    Mack McKenzie
    Agent 33
    Ben Urich
    Elektra Natchios
    Karnak
    Gorgon
    Deena Pilgrim
    Veronica, Hiram, and Hermione Lodge
    Reggie Mantle
    Dilton Doiley
    Josie McCoy and Melody of the Pussycats

That's not even a complete list. And I see very few redheads there.

4. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But Red Sonya isn't English!!!!
    [Idiot mode off]

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Millennium will screw this up like they did the Conan film.

valkyrie013 likes this.
  6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

She wasn't Danish either, But that didn't stop Bridget Nielsen... ;)

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hyrkanian actresses are hard to find these days.

dupersuper and Anwar like this.
  8. Gov Kodos

A Mongolian actress would be nearer the mark.

9. Gov Kodos

Thomas transposed Red Sonya of Rogatino to Hyrkania in The Shadow of the Vulture so according to Howard:

It was a woman, dressed as von Kalmbach had not seen even the dandies of France dressed. She was tall, splendidly shaped, but lithe. From under a steel cap escaped rebellious tresses that rippled red gold in the sun over her compact shoulders...

...She stood as a man might stand, booted legs braced wide apart, thumbs hooked into her girdle, but she was all woman. She was laughing as she faced him, and he noted with fascination the dancing sparkling lights and changing colors of her eyes. She raked back her rebellious locks with a powder-stained hand and he wondered at the clear pinky whiteness of her firm flesh where it was unstained.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0608101h.html

10. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

On the other hand, Howard once expicitly described Conan as having a hairy chest, but none of the screen adaptations showed him that way (and even the comics very rarely did). And that was directly the same character, not one loosely based on another.

11. Gov Kodos

That's what's there.

Nothing so far has made me feel this will be anything but another Millennium crap fest.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, but just because the story that inspired the character described her as tall, doesn't mean she has to be tall.
    I skimmed through a couple issues in Vol. 3 of Gail Simone's run in the comics, and it doesn't look like she was drawn as exceptionally tall there.

13. Christopher

When have actors ever been required to match their characters' height? Hugh Jackman is a foot taller than Wolverine. Actors aren't just models. They're hired for personality and talent, not measurements.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not that often, but I wasn't sure if maybe other versions had really put a big emphasis on it being a huge core part of the character that an accurate adaptation would want to match.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yes, and Halle Berry wasn't as tall as Storm is supposed to be either. So it happens both ways. This isn't an issue.

16. Christopher

Real accuracy is about substance, not surface. What matters about a character like Red Sonja is not whether she has to shop in the Big and Tall section or can reach the pickle jar on the top shelf; what matters is how effective and relentless a warrior she is. A woman who can fight as well as any man has used her training to overcome a size disadvantage to begin with, so taking off a few inches only makes that achievement more impressive (just look at the 5'3" Black Widow in the MCU).

Surely Hannah John-Kamen has proved in Killjoys and Ant-Man/Wasp that she's an amazing, kickass action lead, as well as a brilliant actress and one of the most mind-numbingly gorgeous women who's ever lived. We should be jumping with joy that she got the lead role she deserves. Instead of questioning her casting, we should pray the rest of the movie is good enough to be worthy of her.

Anwar and DEWLine like this.
  17. Gov Kodos

They aren't obligated to follow the source material explicitly and no one is obligated to go to see this if they don't care for it. For my druthers, she doesn't look the part.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually agree with you, the only reason I was talking about her being tall is because someone else complained about her not being tall enough, and I was just trying to understand if that was really an issue.
    And yes I understand that adaptations don't always exactly recreate the way the character looks in the source material, but there are usually certain elements that they do use, like Luke Cage being black, and I just thought maybe her being very tall was something along those lines.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What was the average height of a woman in the Hyborian Age? ;)

20. Christopher

There's more to a character than looks. She's a superb choice in every other respect.