Killing off long time characters

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by GulBahana, May 26, 2021.

1. Mondragon

Mondragon Commander Red Shirt

They just better not kill off ......Khaaan! :mad:
    Oh no!
    [​IMG]
    LOL!

Anyway I always imagined his consciousness must have merged with the Genesis explosion into an even further evolved being.
    And he's since, just been chilling 'round the moons of Nibia, beyond the Antares maelstrom, and 'round perdition's flames, on a paradise genesis'ed space-time-dimension-shifted "island", where he's granting people's fantasies. ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I seem to be in a minority by liking Skin of Evil; it shows anyone one could die in an apparently routine incident.
    Bellisario said about Magnum: "The network didn't like Vietnam flashbacks, they said the audience knows he can't die. I pointed out that the audience always knows we're not going to kill Tom Sellick, except maybe in the final episode of a season."

Greg Cox and Tuskin38 like this.
  3. gazomg

gazomg Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree shakes things up a bit.

but with picard it was overboard.
    Its like some tng nostalgia fan event....theres maddox,and hugh, lets kill them off., throw in iched, and 2 of the triplet android sisters..oh look there is troi data and riker thrown in.
    Next season we are supposedly getting q and guinan, and read somewhere (I have been trying to avoid spoilers) a death of another main past character.

This show needs to have its own identity and not be tng the rehash, or at least that is what i want.

4. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will not.

ETA: To clarify I do not think it will find its own identity. I believe that TNG, like a black hole, is catching Picard and drawing it back in.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  5. gazomg

I dont share your optimism, though would like to be proven wrong.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing of the sort is being reported.

7. Hades Temperature Checker

Heh...that's funny. What I meant to say was that I find it hard to believe it will find it's own identity nor do I believe that a lot fans want it to be so. I think Q is perfectly emblematic of this situation. Instead of pursuing several extremely different and interesting ideas in their own right they opted to return to the safe and familiar. Which is fine. But, it isn't what I liked about Picard Season 1. People complain about the death scenes but that's right in line with what Roddenberry discussed for TNG (People die) and it also follows actual consequences from the Dominion War and the Romulan fallout. That's dramatic, and interesting, and things that could potentially expand the world in a way.

But, we don't want that. We want safe and secure and new worlds were we can warp away from the problem and not worry about a thing. Right?

Hythlodeus and gazomg like this.
  8. gazomg

I cannot remember where I seen this rumour, was about 2 weeks ago, think it was on here, as its the only trek site i post on.

9. Llywela

Llywela Commander Red Shirt

You can't believe everything you read on a fan forum, where people you've never met and know nothing about occasionally like to talk about their worst fears and wildest fantasies as if they were true ;)

Basically, if you only read it in a random thread here and it hasn't been reported anywhere else, then it isn't a spoiler, or even a genuine rumour, it's just someone speculating about what they think might happen.

Coops and Greg Cox like this.
  10. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

I liked it, but not for that. The funeral scene gets me.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Care to post it, or at least point out where on this forum it can be found?

12. gazomg

absolutely, but you know how it is when you are trying to avoid spoilers or rumour you tend to skip past quick without taking too much notice, as you say most likely some fan opinion, and did not ponder on it long enough to check validity.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When it comes to killing off long time characters in Picard and the new Trek, I'm okay with it, as long as its well executed (pun intended). I felt that offing Hugh just felt so unnecessary and done for shock value. If they were going to kill him off I wish they had given us more time with him so it wouldn't have found like such a waste of the character.

The final scene with Data in Picard was quite good and a more fitting end than he got in Nemesis. I wish that Picard hadn't made it out of Picard to be honest. I wish it had truly been the character's Logan.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Q, but I got to admit, having Guinan end him would be a nice callback to their 'first' (for the audience) meeting on TNG.

Hythlodeus and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  15. Coops

Coops Commander Red Shirt

Oh man, I need to delete some Tweets......;)

16. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Utilising existing characters in a stylistically and thematically different manner, with far greater freedom for the writers than they ever had on TNG, does not amount to a rehash. It makes sense to expand on some key aspects of that series given the shared central character - not least Q's involvement which bookended the show.

The writers/show runners on Disco have been rather reactive to date, with the dubious writing out of Discovery from history, the jump in time, the crew becoming ever more mawkish toward each other, etc - all to the show's detriment, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the same is already happening with Picard - plenty of people wanted to see Q and Guinan back.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  17. Hades Temperature Checker

Sad but true.

18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Whoopi was asked to come back a day before Picard Season 1 aired. So I don't think that part had to do with the fans.

I still don't believe that had to do with the fans.

19. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Commander Red Shirt

They should get Diana Muldaur to make a guest appearance so they can blow Pulaski out an airlock.:rommie:

20. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Captain Captain

FTFY ;)

:whistle: