Kate Mulgrew - Orange is the New black

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Jul 24, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It took me a few minutes of thinking about that last scene to tell what happened to her, it was presented a little confusingly. Flores was ushered to that other area where they had a line of handcuffs, where she started crying, Dante was surprised not to see her walk out with the others, then they did that cut to what's her name discussing Polycon's move into border enforcement.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I wondered what if they've done that with Gloria instead, even though she's Puerto Rican....

3. JirinPanthosa

Puerto Ricans are American citizens, so they couldn't do it with her. But with Flores it was established that her boyfriend wasn't a citizen.

4. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Flores is Dominican if I'm not mistaken.

So guys, what did you think of the bad Charades game :rofl: I kinda had to look away from awkwardness.

5. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I stretched it to a full week, so now I just have 51 weeks till the next/last season if they follow this year's release date.

Spoilers follow and after nearly 9 days I think its detrimental to the function of encouraging discussion to put every comment in a spoiler box.

I must say, although I thought it was stupid of Red to give up her only opportunity to see the kiddies in order to attack Frieda, I later thought being in the SHU was the one way to keep her (and Gloria) safe.

I do have serious complaints about the trial and the lack of forensic evidence re the gunman. Why did TPTB not check for gun residue on the prisoners' hands? And how did they explain the pepper spray on his face? Will Caputo take up these inconsistencies when he joins Taystee's appeals team next season? Will Tova aka Black Cindy admit her role in railroading Taystee? Is Fig actually growing a soul this year?

Will there be inter-correctional kick ball championships in the future? What will Ginger spend her ill gotten gains on? Since her boss is gone, will Alex be able to avoid resuming a life of crime in the prison? At seven months, Morello's baby could survive which means Vinnie may resurface next year but will his mom let the baby move in or will he finally get a place of his own?

51 weeks.

I foresee a book and a TED Talk in Piper's future.

Recent interviews.

Filming for season 7 starts this Monday.

6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I hear she is the worst part of the show.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Ummm, not even close. No one I've seen who likes the show has ever said that either. I don't know if you're a VOY fan or not but, even if you don't like it, if you saw Orange Is the New Black, and you saw Kate Mulgrew's performance you'd be like "Janeway who?" In this series: she's Red. And she owns the role. Period.

Kate Mulgrew is a really good actor. Whatever you think of Janeway, she really shines through as Red.

I don't think there's a "worst part" but the character I became the least interested in was Piper Chapman. Odd as this sounds, the show just evolved passed her.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  8. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which would make it almost more believable in the current climate, sadly.

She's definitely going to get dragged back in. Madison will try to fill the void and after what Alex pulled on her, she'll go out of her way to make Alex's life hell until Alex is forced to push her out completely and take her place.

9. JanewayRulz!

She who? :confused:

10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

11. JanewayRulz!

I can't tell, does this suggest Blanca wasn't deported?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...-means-season-7-laura-gomez-interview-1131193

Huh. I guess so. Oh, and one nitpick, Chang was recaptured according to a conversation between Fig and (?) VP Linda.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...k-season-6-finale-explained-interview-1130502

I don't get how Piper's fate in the last ep can be due to "white privilege". Wasn't it simply the only way for Hopper to get rid of her to save his sorry A$$ and drug smuggling operation?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/oitnb-season-6-how-piper-reveal-sets-up-season-7-1130795

Taylor Schilling looking at a near future w/o Litchfield.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...finale-season-7-show-future-interview-1131470

Pertainent quotes from the above article.

Finally, on Monday, an ICE supervisor allowed him to leave.

"If it was that simple, why couldn't they do it Friday?" (Puerto Rican born) Caraballo asked

And most frightening, from a Northwestern University Polysci professor.

"Their (ICE) defense (for detaining Carabello in jail for a weekend) is only valid if someone is foreign-born," she said. "It's not a valid defense if someone is asserting that they're born in the United States. That's basically kidnapping and false imprisonment."

But such incidents are not unusual, said Stevens, who went through the files of an immigration and refugee rights project and found that 82 cases -- 1 percent of the total -- involved U.S. citizens, most of whom had been held for one to three months. :censored:

12. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps his solution might have been less gentle if she wasn't white?:shrug:

13. JirinPanthosa

14. JirinPanthosa

It's likely that the scoring system that determined early release benefited those from more privileged backgrounds.

15. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Always possible. But she's sloppy and a mouth. She had to go to hatch his plan.

16. JanewayRulz!

I noticed Nick Sandow's directing credit on the finale "Be Free", but missed both his earlier credit for directing ep 9's "Break the String" and Laura Prepon's credit for directing ep 11's "Well this Took a Dark Turn". Laura has directed 2 over the last 2 seasons and Nick has done 3.

The Cliff Notes version of Dascha's interviews. I didn't realize Dascha's real ife daughter acted in this series.

A much longer interview with Dascha.

And one with that woman we used to love to hate, that is until she was replaced by "Linda from purchasing".

I love Natasha Lyonne!

17. JanewayRulz!

I never thought of this... next year Taylor Schilling's on screen credit will probably drop from "regular" to "guest star".

That just feels weird, somehow.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/08/oitnb-post/

Wedding news.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...lor-schilling-season-6-wedding-future-1132210

More from Dascha.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a22575688/dascha-polanco-oitnb-s6-interview/

I'm out of it re pop culture, but if you loved it when this guy showed up in Suzanne's delusions... then enjoy.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/07/orange-is-the-new-black-cha-cha-slide

ps... also check out the video attached ^^ where Danielle tries to define prison slang.

OMG! :alienblush: I never looked at the credits for the new villains!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/oitnb-villains-ranked-worst-best-1132450

Barb is Mackenzie Phillips!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ng-playing-drug-addicted-villain-barb-1132404

https://variety.com/2018/tv/feature...orange-is-the-new-black-interview-1202890884/

Not everyone likes OitNB.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...the-new-black-has-become-its-own-worst-e.html

Kate cracks me up!

Although this is at the Vegas ST convention, the first 15 minutes is all OitNB!

At the risk of repeating myself... I love Natasha Lyonne!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  18. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who? I think that you don't talk about Kate Mulgrew?! She is considered by critics & viewers as one of the best parts of OITNB's ensemble, with Uzo Aduba, Danielle Brooks, etc... . Of course, we can dislike her facial/gestural and corporal expressions are her. That and her humor. In short, a true character part! :techman:

However, it seems that Taylor Schilling's character, Piper, who was supposed to be the new kid of the block, pretty, smart and crazy in love was considered as the weakest link. (I remember that Mulgrew, right the s2 or 3, tried to explain why people didn't manage to like and/or be involved with Piper's character). As for her passionate lovestory with Pepron's character, Alex Vause, I don't know for you but for me, it was forced and worst, unconvincing. :ack:
    Result: producers decided to let Piper leave the prison, under the reason of an early release and to let the actress coming back as guest-star for the 7th and last season. I don't know if Schilling's acting was weak or her character was
    uninteresting but the whole was difficult to watch... :shrug:
    -> I felt more interested by Suzanne /Tasha / Poussey / Cindy and Caputo storylines.

19. JirinPanthosa

Piper was supposed to be the 'Avatar for the audience', privileged visitor with a short sentence learning everything as an outsider. Then they made her an insane moron in season 3 and never looked back. She could never really be emotionally connected to the other characters because we knew she would get out and go back to her privileged life, and then when she started making decisions the privileged audience wouldn't make, she lost that too.

Hopefully in season 7 they bring her back to who the original author was, and make her a writer trying to expose the problems of the system, and make her interesting again.

Mulgrew was among the strongest characters in the first few seasons, but I felt once she had her power taken away the writers had no idea where to take her next.

Seven of Five likes this.
  20. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In any rate, when KM doesn't perform a cook, she seems to like wearing uniforms. Of course, she wore one in ST: Voyager (1995-2001)

[​IMG]

but you can see wearing a Marine uniform at twice reprises

- Remo Williams, The Adventure begins (1985)

[​IMG][​IMG]

- The Response (2010)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KM isn't alone as seeing as Jeri Ryan wore ones too

- Star Trek Voyager (1995-2001), the time of one episode

[​IMG]

- Warehouse 13

[​IMG]

They look pretty in uniforms, don't you think?! :techman: