Justin Lin on the Trailer and Beyond's Clash of Philosophies

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ryan Thomas Riddle, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

Thought this deserved a thread of its own. Justin Lin talks about the trailer and what Beyond is really about beyond (pun intended) the action emphasized in the trailer.

See: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/15/its-a-clash-of-philosophies-in-star-trek-beyond

EDIT:

Apparently there are a few other articles with more comments from Lin.

Thanks to the other members of the board who pointed it out.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. BillJ

BillJ Canon Warrior Premium Member

Sounds like Lin has a good handle on things. :techman:

3. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully, some of what he said will come across in Trailer #2.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It all sounds good. I hope it translates well on film too.:bolian:

And since the trailer has been the big thing the last couple of days, I think this needs to be quoted again and again

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Was Faraci going for irony there?

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got a little misty-eyed reading that.

Actually, the possibility of a philosophical clash was suggested in trailer #1, not just in the line, "This is where the frontier pushes back," but also and maybe even more so in the line, "I know why you're here." Mix those with Scotty's line, "Let's hope this doesn't get messy," and you've got the possibility of ideological motivations leading to confrontation.

7. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Interesting musings. I, too, am looking forward to seeing how these ideas are expressed in the final product.

It's sad that some fans are already passing harsh judgment on a movie that nobody has seen yet, just based on a 90-second studio-mandated trailer.

Kor

8. mymatty

mymatty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sounds great to me. Star Trek can be both action-packed and philosophically challenging, and it sounds like that's what we're getting. If Lin pulls off the goals he's described for this film, I will be more than satisfied.

And put me in the camp of those who think the criticism of the trailer is overblown. If it weren't for Sabotage, we wouldn't be seeing this backlash.

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather take Sabotage over another generic hum-heavy Hans Zimmer score, to be quiet honest. His scores always sound like they're *about* to hit an apex, and then dial it down to a more medium line. I like bombast in my adventure: Williams, Goldsmith, Giachinno, and yes, the Beastie Boys!

And frankly, that's one of the reasons why I love DS9 so much; That deconstruction of the Federation to see why it stands the test of time isn't something that can be explained in a trailer; it took several seasons to do it. I'm hoping the movie can accomplish that, but it seems to be off to a good start (the frontier "pushing back.")

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Or Inception horns. :ack:

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Great interview. It does seem like Lin has a handle of what makes Star Trek work (Which is very subjective to so many people) and that is why I can't wait till the second trailer. If he follows through on what this interview highlighted, I think Beyond could be a real real good Star Trek film, and a fun Summer film too. So what if it's like Gaurdians. Gaurdians was excellent and made a ton of money. I want Star Trek to be excellent and make tons of money too.

12. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

"Clash of Philosophies". This sounds very interersting to me Mr. Lin.

13. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Lin either is a huge Star Trek fan or has the best lips for PR we could ever ask for. I was only a little worried when we got the initial trailer in German. Now I'm sold. This could be awesome.

14. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

15. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Commodore Commodore

So Beyond is sweet eye candy AND has brains. Perfect.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored This is the Way Moderator

I like that they're continuing to develop the relevant to the present day political issues carried over from STID (drone strikes, preemptive war, assassinations, etc.), this time essentially focusing on the spaceborne equivalent of guerrilla warfare, which is something we've never seen in a Trek film before. The closest TV equivalents would be the Vaadwaur, Swarm, and Kazon from Voyager, and the Maquis and occasionally the Jem'Hadar from DS9, but even this is a fairly unique take on the swarming and ramming attacks.

You might destroy half their force, but if they have a committed enough populace ready to die for their beliefs, and their ships are cheap and easy to mass produce, they can just keep feeding them into the grinder until they wear down their enemies will to fight.

It has a lot in common with suicide bombers in cars, or gunboats taking on Navy ships in swarms.

Interesting.

17. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Boomer American Premium Member

Well, this is exactly why Elba's voice over in the trailer pleased me so.

20. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is? I didn't read his article
    The collider article is the only one I see 'admitting' he did the interview for a group , Faraci seemed to imply he had the exclusive but probably we just read a different transcript of one group interview