Spoilers Just Started Watching Yellowstone

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JD, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently they've added Dennis Quaid and David Oyelowo to the 1883 spinoff Bass Reeves.

My question is: when does Taylor Sheridan sleep??? He's got Yellowstone, 1923, Mayor of Kingstown, 1883: Bass Reeves, Tulsa King, Lioness, Land Man and another Yellowstone spinoff, 6666 in development :eek: :eek: :eek: (Not counting movies he also writes)

shapeshifter and Starkers like this.
  2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ever notice in Yellowstone, the solution to all personal disagreements is for two people to just beat the shit out of each other?

Turd Ferguson and Starkers like this.
  3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Finished season 4 so hopefully will catch up with S5 before the second half of the season airs

4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched 1883, 1923 and am halfway through YS S3. All very bingeable series despite VERY glaring, literally eye rolling flaws.

It reminds me of so many shows over the decades, Wagon Train, Rawhide! The Big Valley, and DALLAS to name a few.

Can't wait for more.

Oh thank the maker! I have been :brickwall: over that. 3 1/2 seasons is too long to keep that secret!

Starkers likes this.
  5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yesterday night i couldn't sleep so on a whim i started this up, the cast is great but i have one huge question:

Anyone else believes this show promotes violence and self justice?

To me it sounds and looks like a republican wet dream - businessman and family go up against the law and have their own kindgom established where they basically can do whatever they want. We have the patriarch who has a legitimate case of cattle theft or rather they ran off onto foreign land, the tribe wants to keep the cattle - sounds like a lawsuit to be settled in court.
    Instead everybody goes and arms up with predictable results - one of his sons dies while the other, a former Navy Seal, goes and executes the shooter right there even though he's incapacitated.

Next the other son is involved in a mercy killing and when the cops arrive one of the cops exchanges gun slides with him so he can claim he did it ( what will exchanging gun slides do? You have to exchance gun barrels as far as i know).

The same guy then drives around, notices a strange van parked besides the road, investigates and sees a bound person inside - masked man comes out and is gunned down by the ex-Seal, who then pursues the other guy until he dies by accident when he falls down. Does the guy report this as self defence? No, he involves the family of the girl he found in the van and they all work to cover it up.

Next we have the patriarch's enforcer/foreman act on orders of the patriarch kill the medical examiner, because his report came too close to the ex-Navy Seal son. He knocks him unconscious, rigs the room to blow up and after they burn the previously shot bodies up to destroy the evidence of the execution.

I've watched a season 1 recap and it gets even worse - the entire Dutton family feels like an entitled bunch of landowners who believe they are not bound by law and can do whatever they want.

Are we supposed to root for these people? I have the same problem with Sons of Anarchy - the entire biker gang are an awful bunch of people, deeply involved in crime, yet everyone loves the show. I have not seen a single redeeming quality yet in any of these shows.

shapeshifter likes this.
  6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Yeah, they are rotten people.

Starkers likes this.
  7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't need to like characters to be able to empathise with them. I loved Ozark even though I never really liked any one in the show, and the same could be true of Yellowstone. John Dutton has a sense of honour at least, and I think to some extent the men and women of the Yellowstone are portrayed slightly less as an organised crime family after the first season.

Beth is an incredibly fucked up character but she's fucked up for genuine reasons and is still dealing with PTSD for two things that happened to her as a child (
    effectively killing her mum and the abortion that rendered her sterile
    ) as well as being hamstrung by the blind loyalty she has for her father.

Jamie is also a product of his childhood, whilst Kacey is damaged from Afghanistan (despite the fact he probably has the biggest kill count in the show he's also probably the most decent human being of any of the Duttons)

As an individual I don't remotely agree with much of the politics on show, but Sheridan is such a good writer that it doesn't matter, the characters are fully three dimensional, and even when I don't agree with things they do I understand why they do them in the context of the people they are and the world they live in.

I also really like that Sheridan goes out of his way to portray Native Americans so well and involve them so heavily in the story. And frankly I'd happily watch Gil Birmingham read the telephone directory.

shapeshifter likes this.
  8. JirinPanthosa

I don’t think the narrative explicitly takes the side of the Dutton family any more than Succession does the Roy family. The only political agenda I’ve seen it promote is Native American sovereignty.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Am now up to date with Yellowstone! I kinda guessed at some point
    we'd wind up with Jamie and Beth trying to kill each other! (or at least look into how easy it'd be to get someone else to kill the other)

The idea of a dispute with Costner is interesting. I had wondered how much time he spent working on the show because sometimes John's felt a little peripheral, and there are a lot of conversations on the ranch where you think they could have filmed a bunch of those in quick succession. Don't get me wrong, he's great in the show and it's hard to imagine it without him, it's just sometimes he has seemed more like a guest star than the main character, if that makes sense.

I think the show is a hard sell without him, but also wonder if five seasons might be a decent point to end the show. After John becomes Governor I'm not sure how much more you can do with him. Jamie and Beth's animosity has reached boiling point, and I don't see how one or both of them don't wind up dead, this is even before you factor in the million and one other shows Sheridan is working on.

Quick question to those who've seen 1883 and 1923. I'll be honest 1923 interests me more because 1883 seems more like a straight western and much as I enjoy the western elements of Yellowstone it's the politics I find just as interesting and the culture clash between the old and the new, which seems more like 1923 than 1883.

Question is do I need to watch 1883 to enjoy 1923? Would people recommend both, or either or neither?

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

No. Watching 1923 isn’t dependent on having seen 1883.

Starkers likes this.
  12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thank you (you watch I'll probably end up watching both now!) Another?, my understanding is that 1883 is a single season and that 1923 is going to be two seasons and done? Is that right?

I am interested in Bass Reeves, not really sure about 6666 though as there's no clear idea what it is yet, though presumably Jimmy will star and I do like Jimmy. I wondered if the whole "move half the herd to the 6666" storyline might be a way of shifting the likes of Ryan, Walker and Teeter to 6666? I'd say Rip and Beth too but can't see that making a lot of sense if the Yellowstone still exists.

13. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm quite enjoying 1923, and not just because of Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren. I find the characters to be more agreeable all around than the original show.

Starkers likes this.
  14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sorta linked but I've started watching Tulsa King which is actually funnier than I was expecting it to be. Taylor Sheridan really hates the modern world doesn't he :lol:

KennyB likes this.
  15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Costner out after season 5 ends. Of course, there's no news about when they'll actually film the rest of season 5.

16. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Kev is having a rough time. He and wife splitting up as well.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Sheridan had actually written the episodes yet or not!

18. JirinPanthosa

They could always age up Bob Odenkirk.

John Dutton has already been diagnosed with a serious illness, he can die at any time just like Logan Roy.

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The show itself is ending with season 5. They're making a new spin-off (with the main cast, sans Costner) because they sold the streaming rights to NBCUniversal long before Yellowstone's first episode ever aired; with the new show, they'll be able to have it on Paramount+.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

https://collider.com/yellowstone-taylor-sheridan-kevin-costner-exit-comments/

Yeah - i can nearly hear the "Fuck Costner!" when i read between these lines ( or maybe it's just me). Seems like Sheridan is taking it very personal.