Spoilers Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Review and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by thribs, Jun 6, 2018.

?

Your Rating?

1. A*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. A-

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  7. C

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  8. D

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. F

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    The fifth film in the Jurassic Park series, based on Michael Crichton novels, and the sequel to Jurassic World. The intro scene, with people obtaining a sample of the Indominus rex bones from the lagoon was rather good, and sets the tone for the film rather well. The re-introductions to Claire and Owen were also done well. One gets a sense of what they have been doing since the fall of the theme park, Jurassic World. The initial scenes at the Lockwood Estate set up what comes later rather well.
    The part of the film on the doomed Isla Nublar effectively continues the story of the two, as well as sets up the next part of the film. That Owen is the only one who can capture Blue is effectively set up. The two others, Zia and Franklin, from the Dinosaur Protection Group, also play a role. Franklin helps with the tracking of the dinos, especially Blue, and Zia helps Blue when she's shot by a would be victim. But the 'meat' of this part of the film, comes with the betrayal, when Owen is left to die in the eruption.
    The scene with the sauropod (Apatosaurus?, Brachiosaurus?) on the dock is very moving. A great piece of cinematography. Back to the Lockwood estate. The revelation of what is actually going on, that Lockwood's assistant wants to sell the Dinosaurs as weapons of war, was done very well, expanding on themes from the previous film, especially with the Indominus. The revelation of the Indoraptor is effectively spaced out, from Maisie's initial encounter with her in the basement, through to the auction.
    The chase through the mansion is done rather well. As is the revelation of who Maisie actually is, which leads to the dinosaurs escaping into the wild. 8.88/10.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

With the active volcano, I count two sick burns in this Fallen Kingdom scene...

[​IMG]

3. Azlan82

Azlan82 Ensign Newbie

Was an above average movie up until the raptor slowly pulls the quilt back like the scene from a horror movie, that's when I decided I had had enough.

4. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Just saw it for the second time on DVD. And . . . yep, still enjoyed it. My only complaint is that the second half of the movie seemed to be solely at the Lockwood estate. I could have done without that. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. And I didn't have a problem with the ending, because in an ironic way, I thought it made sense. It was a great metaphor of how certain man made creations and situations that should not have happened in the first place, can slip beyond our control.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jurrasic World director, and Fallen Kingdom co-written Colin Trevorrow has released a new JW short film, Battle at Big Rock. The short film is set after Fallen Kingdom and follows a family who runs into some dinosaurs while on a camping trip.

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a great little film.. and I love the Universal logo at the front

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That little short film was better than the entirety of Fallen Kingdom.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

the short film was very good EXCEPT foe the sound. They never use all the channels.. and the Jurassic franchise has always been about good sound

9. Trekker4747

Of all the nits...

crookeddy and Turtletrekker like this.
  10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

well Jurassic Park was the first film I saw in digital DTS sound. it was just as big a leap in terms of audio as the film was visually.. it should always be putting its best foot forward now to carry that tradition. Battle at Big Rock features dinosaur action that with a terrible sound mix

11. Trekker4747

It's also a 10-minute long movie released on the internet, so...

crookeddy and Campe like this.
  12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Still.. what are you saying.. they put their stamp in it.. they bring their A game in terms of effects and all the OTHER aspects of filmmaking.. they are making this to get people talking. Either go all the way around the bases or don't swing

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure the blu-ray extra version on JW3 will have a proper sound mix.

Anyhow, fun little short. I know we're all asking how 30 or so escaped dinosaurs could possibly have a big global impact, but a part of me now says "eff it, just have there be thousands and thousands of dinos running loose in the next movie, without any explanation whatsoever." Go wild! Who cares?! :p

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting title.