Contest: ENTER July 2020 Art Challenge - New Look Next Gen

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cyfa, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

While I have a few theme ideas knocking around in my notebook, they're rather arcane/esoteric, so I took a look at the "Can I suggest an Art Contest?" thread for inspiration (go on - click the link!). Fortunately, I didn't have to look far, as the latest two suggestions there - by @MisterD and @Norsehound, respectively - jumped out as excellent art challenge fodder.

So, what I'd like for us to do in July is to forget the somewhat stagnant design lineage between 2293 and the TNG era, and come up with concept art of how dramatically different in-universe Trek could look - at either the beginning of the TNG era in 2364 (71 years since the end of the TOS movies), or in 2399 (20 years or so after the end of the TNG era). As Norsehound says for 2399:
    For example, one of my bugbears are the massive consoles (conn, ops, and all the others). Why are they so bulky?? I know that in the real world they have to contain all the styrofoam rocks, explosives, CRT monitors, and lighting equipment required for the show, but in-universe shouldn't they be wafer-thin, floating in mid-air, firm to the touch yet yielding to a fall or impact?
    I want to see your take on a no-holds barred, totally futuristic 2364 or 2399. In the words of MisterD:

As ever, here are the rules for the competition:
    • the artwork you submit should be created during the month of the challenge
    • only one final image can be submitted (although it may contain multiple views)
    • your final entry should be posted in this thread (although dedicated WIP threads are appreciated)
    You have until the end of the month (or, just after, in fact) - i.e. midnight (or thereabouts) Saturday 1st August - to come up with your concept art. Bon chance!

Michael and Lord Other like this.
  2. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, hmm, kind of like what I'm doing with my TOS Redesigned? Like, having a TOS Prometheus or Galaxy? I can go wild with that...

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, instead of "locking away" the information within some secluded and forgotten vault (like the Ark in "Raiders..."), maybe the Federation examined the plans Sargon promised and developed those walnut sized warp engines. There's an idea for somebody to pursue.

Kaiser likes this.
  4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I’m not certain what you are asking us to do, @Cyfa

5. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

publiusr, Cyfa and StarCruiser like this.
  6. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

- Kind of, yes! Redesign TNG :bolian:

- Oh, excellent suggestion! If the Federation didn't keep ignoring all the fanciful technology they keep finding laying around and actually put it to use, just imagine what their ships/tech, people and places would look like in the TNG era (and then depict it for us) :D

- Oh, dear... Starfleet has regressed. Or maybe they're just going for the retro look? :lol:

- Sorry, Finn - amongst all that waffle, what I'm trying to say is: redesign the TNG era. Get rid of all the old TOS/TOS Movies trappings and make it completely different (I mean, they're still using warp drive, and phasers, and tricorders, and navigational deflectors, and those corridors and transporter pads have been around for ever! It's old news, dahling. Yikes - I'm beginning to sound like Edna Mode :rommie:). Or, if you don't want to change TNG's style, then change Picard/2399 style instead - it's just too similar to what came before.

- YES!!! :adore: :bolian:

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, the way that episode unfolded, Sargon, probably didn't have a chance to reveal those plans before Henoch's treachery. Sargon and Thelasia were busy building those android receptacles just so they could spend more time working with the crew and share those technological gifts. But even before the "Motion Picture debuted, I wondered how different things might have been.

Cyfa likes this.
  8. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

My original pitch for this idea was to show starfleet quickly moving away from the TNG aesthetic as much as they did for the TOS to TMP (and WoK+) eras. So, an alternate DS9 / VOY that's not married to the conventions of TNG, abandoning it as quickly as Starfleet dropped the TOS styling.

I'd have to think about this, but even if I could do it I'm wrestling with a 2 month old and trying to reclaim the notion of sleep...

Cyfa likes this.
  9. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Sleep? Ha... Next time you’ll see that interesting notion will be in about 17 years or so. Maybe.

Cheers,
    -CM-

Cyfa likes this.
  10. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

So, how are those of you partaking in this month's challenge getting on? Better than I am, I hope - I've got a bit of a block going on. I'm looking forward to seeing your interpretations of a differently styled TNG era :bolian:

11. Soran77

Soran77 Captain Captain

I'm working on it, though I'm working on something I've been inspired to do many times, and kinda failed, this has given me the ability to work on that project! A fresh start at an old idea I've had for years :)

Cyfa likes this.
  12. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not so good. Busy times at work, GF that wants attention... not enough hours in a day!

13. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Sounds intriguing. Good luck - I hope it comes to fruition this time! :bolian:

I know! Where do they all go?? I'm pretty sure we're down to 18 hour days instead of 24 now - especially at weekends :lol:

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I think that’s the opposite...

Soran77 likes this.
  15. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Definitely the opposite, but it's still some nice Photoshop work.

16. Soran77

Soran77 Captain Captain

This is my Entry!

Since you could go 20 years past TNG I decided to create what I think the USS Defiant would have looked like if it were designed differently, as you'll see the Buzzard collectors are in line with the impulse engines, the warp engines are fully integrated into the ship, it has two big phaser cannons on the under belly, two for and aft torpedo launchers for a total of 4, has experimental phaser strips on the wings and in the front fangs, two heavy warhead launchers on the wings too. Triple armored hull, crew compliment 30.

[​IMG]

Michael and Cyfa like this.
  17. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Oh, @Soran77, that's great! New Look Defiant certainly has a new look, but what I like most is the colour scheme and the gold-edged red Starfleet Delta :bolian:

Everyone else: There are still nearly a couple of days left to get your artistic juices flowing and come up with a "New Look Next Generation" something-or-other - ideally something more futuristic or different-looking than what we got in TNG (or Picard, if you think those designs could be reinterpreted).
    But don't worry if you're already working on something that's not more futuristic, or harks back to yesteryear (not the TAS episode :rommie:) etc, as I didn't make it clear enough in the original challenge post, so just go with whatever you've got. As long as it's TNG (or Picard) but different, it'll do :D

Deadline for entries is midnight (or thereabouts) on Saturday 1st August (although, I probably won't be doing anything about the voting thread until into Sunday, so you have a little leeway).

Soran77 and Michael like this.
  18. Lord Other

Lord Other Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

It's kind of the spur of the moment- but taking TNG's original concept of being explorers where no one has gone before.. into intergalactic space. First stop the Magellanic Clouds.

publiusr, Cyfa, Michael and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I'm intrigued by the saucer, @Lord Other - especially the tall bridge. And it's nice to see the return of that square-with-a-cut-out-circle "C" insignia :bolian:

publiusr likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Whew, right on time. The idea for my entry is actually a couple of years old when I already created a version of this (which, unfortunately, seems to be lost to time), but here it is completely redone. The basic idea behind this is a version of the Enterprise that has the proportions of the original but the surface detail and design of the Enterprise-D. So what I essentially did was remap and reshape an image of the Galaxy class I found online onto the silhouette of Kirk's ship.

I'm calling it the Enterprise NCC-1701-2 from a spin-off called Star Trek: The New Generation. :shifty:

[​IMG]

publiusr, tax1234, Cyfa and 1 other person like this.