JR Trek

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by JR TREK, May 3, 2021.

1. JR TREK

JR TREK Ensign Newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The ship that is my current claim to fame - some may have seen it on Trekyards :)

I'm currently working on a TOS Romulan ship -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It started out as a Bird of Prey, but the wings kept getting longer and longer, so I'm going to say this is a redesign of FASA's Starglider instead. It's a much smaller and weaker ship, but it has charisma, and support ships are needed too! They can't all be a predator!

I've got a few more ships blocked out which I may post later.

2. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Perfect for the post TOS/pre TMP Lost Years look

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Dice Admiral Premium Member

OOOOOOOOOH. NICE! (What's going on with that weird reflection/reverse shadow on the "01" part of the saucer registry in the first shot?)

How long did it take you to model and texture this beauty? Can we see her in motion?

4. JR TREK

JR TREK Ensign Newbie

publiusr - It was interesting seeing the Trekyards video about whether the TOS Bird of Prey still fits in canon or not. IMO it does, the Enterprise BoP is the one that's wrong. I like it, but it's clearly a Next Gen era ship.

Professor Moriarty - The saucer is picking up a light from somewhere. The shader needs work, and I need a faster computer to do the work.

It's hard to say how long it took to make the JR-Prise. I dropped it for a long time because I had too much work coming in. I would say it took at least a year from start to finish, but at least half of that time I didn't touch it at all.

I've got a short clip where I tested the navigation lights and the bussard animation -

and a turntable done at an earlier stage of development -

I'd like to do animation, but the JR-Prise is too heavy for my elderly rig. Well, too heavy to render using Cycles.

I might be able to do something with the Starglider, but don't expect much.

saddestmoon and blssdwlf like this.
  5. JR TREK

JR TREK Ensign Newbie

I've started a Trek specific account on Deviant Art which will have larger images than the ones here -

https://www.deviantart.com/jrtrek

Currently I only have a few images of the JR-Prise up, but more is sure to come!

6. JR TREK

JR TREK Ensign Newbie

Progress on the bird -

[​IMG]

7. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

When I first saw the FASA Winged Defender, I read it backwards. I thought it had forward swept wings...but the side view threw me. I thought the impulse was a side by side plasma torpedo emitter. (It was actually a Bird shape and pointed the other way.)

But having something like that--with the warp nacelles flipped to look like your design here might be something you could try.

8. JR TREK

JR TREK Ensign Newbie

[​IMG]

A little weathering and she'll be finished!

[​IMG]

Starglider with her entire crew complent of 130. I didn't realize the crew was that large, but it looks like they'll fit. She may not even be as cramped as the FASA manual says. These guys are spread out over five decks, counting the bridge deck and a space under the hanger deck.

Oddly enough, the proportions of my Starglider to the JR-Prise worked out similar to the FASA Starglider and the TOS Connie, even though I was thinking of the Starglider as a smaller ship. She's still fairly small, but imagine if you were an engineer and you had to crawl from one warp nacelle to the other! How many crew are usually assigned to the nacelles anyway? They're going to be in rough shape if they ever have to run for the escape pods. Maybe the bussard scoop can double as an escape pod if it's turned off and air is pumped in.

publiusr - The Winged Defender might be too perfect to change. I'm glad I'm working in the TOS era and not the TMP era.

blssdwlf, publiusr and tax1234 like this.