Joe Cornish To Direct STAR TREK 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by LOKAI of CHERON, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it's not. Taking inflation into account, Star Trek (2009) has the highest domestic gross of any Trek film and Star Trek Into Darkness has the highest worldwide gross of any Trek film. Star Trek: The Motion Picture lies in second in both domestic and worldwide box office in adjusted terms.

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I stand corrected on that front.

3. MakeshiftPython

Gotta say, it was nice to show Kirk with two alien gals.

4. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

...and even if it was off screen, I'm sure at least one of them was shouting out other others' names over and over again (reference to current discussion in the "Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return" thread.).

5. MakeshiftPython

I can hear them:

"Oh god oh god!"
    "Of course I am"

More Shatner than Pine.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Why should they "tone it down"? Why should Trek be overtly focused on "character" and "philosophy"? Trek is many things - "The Doomsday Machine" is as much Star Trek as "The Inner Light", significantly more so IMO.

Action/Adventure Trek is far more suited to the big screen than watered down, over sentimental touchy-feely nonsense. STID got the balance just right.

In answer to your question, no, I don't think audiences would be bored by TCotEoF at all in one sense, as I regard it as one of Trek's greatest achievements. But, as much as I love it, I do think a cinematic rendering of City, or something like it, would be considerably less successful than the last two Bad Robot outings at the box office.

Certain fans rave about "The Inner Light" - so? I find it to be dull, boring and tedious - and doesn't deserve any kind of comparison to City - not even in the same league.

I wasn't being "cute" in this, or my antecedent post FYI. I am, however, getting really, really bored of the "too many 'splosions" or "too much action, no character" schtick routinely rolled out by those who dislike recent Trek output.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

All I know is that people who are making these complaints didn't see the same movie I saw.

8. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not as bad as getting some new director who has never filmed a blockbuster or a movie like Trek before. At least they have been there. Meyer is still writing, still in the movie business and Nimoy keeps saying he is retired but keeps appearing in Fringe and Star Trek.

9. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

He keeps saying he is retired but keeps on appearing on more than Trek.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Ten or fifteen minutes of screen time is a Hell of a lot different than directing a $170 million dollar movie. I like Nimoy, but I just don't see him having the energy to take on that type of workload at eighty-plus years of age.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreeing to small parts here and there that take a few days, or at most a couple of weeks, to film isn't at all comparable to the immense task of directing a big budget movie.

12. MakeshiftPython

My point is that if they don't try something new and different down the line that audiences will get bored. Nimoy was smart to realize that with THE VOYAGE HOME and it paid off big time. Two big spectacles in a row so far, it would not harm the third film at all to do something unique. A good start would be to stop using a villain hellbent on revenge.

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

We're getting stuck in extremes of thought. Let's get real. It isn't simply a choice between ID and "Inner Light." TWOK contains a lot of action, but doesn't rely on one set-piece after another. It allows the action of the story to build to peaks at certain plot points. The story builds through the script, whereas modern action films begin with a list of set-pieces which are strung together into a script. Now if you like the set-pieces of the last few films, that's fine; it's all about personal choice, and modern audiences have come to expect action films to be build around set-pieces. But let's not pretend the only other choice is to do a dull story with no action, because that's nonsense and nobody is asking for that.
    Christ on a crutch, yes. Not only has that been the plot of the last umpteen Trek outings, but the last two films have been even more specifically about an evil villain from another time out for revenge.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who enjoyed the last two films for the characters and their interactions primarily and not the action set pieces (as awesome as I thought they were)?

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Not at all. The best thing the two Abrams movie do is good character work (the straight-forward if uninteresting characterization of Nero excepted).

16. LOKAI of CHERON

As I've already stated, I love STID for both the spectacle and character. The balance between the two is spot on. Fundamentally, I don't accept the argument STID is light on character or heart at all.

Many haters begin their critique with some glib "it's all 'splosions" rhetoric.:rolleyes: Honestly, when I see this now, the rest of their post just blurs into blah blah blah for me.

17. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I understand this point of view. And to be fair, the past THREE Trek outings have been a variation of TWOK.

TVH was TMP done right.

I agree about villian hellbent on revenge part. But I don't see them telling an intimate, quieter, kinder Star Trek movie. The first two nuTreks have been big successes, and much of that is due to its new, slicker and modern visual impact. Although I would prefer a better treatment of story, style is pretty much a given that it will stay exactly the same as we've seen.

But there is NO DOUBT the "revenge-villian" trope has run its course in nuTrek. Enough already, PTB!

18. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

No, I don't think you're the only one. But I personally found the character development, such as it was, entirely superficial and dull, just as, coincidentally, I found the action superficial and dull.
    So anyone and everyone who criticizes the action of the last two films should be dismissed as a "hater?" This is the kind of ugly closed-mindedness that is endemic to both sides.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  19. LOKAI of CHERON

-- DOUBLE POST DELETED --

20. LOKAI of CHERON

No, that's not what I said at all, and I'll thank you not make assumptions reference my "ugly close mindedness" - it's rude and plain uncalled for.

You're right though, there is a lot of close mindedness, and pithy "'splosions" commentary supported by little else is endemic of that - which was my actual point. Essentially, that's what I object to.