Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Jul 16, 2017.

1. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I dunno, the look in the reveal video really worked for me. I think that's a rather cool look for a Doctor.
    Maybe make the outfit a little more interesting or give her a signature accessoire. But the hair worked just fine imo.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I will say this one time. These are simply examples of what we need to avoid. Please keep TNZ in TNZ and do not attempt to mix it with other forums. Please return to the subject of the thread and STAY AWAY from the interpersonal crap. It is not needed, nor is it wanted. This seminal casting is an important matter, but let's keep it within the context of the show. Otherwise, there will be warnings delivered.

4. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Her outfit didn't seem to be anything special. Just a business suit and a Yale key. I don't remember the hair.
    I do hope that they give her a solid "time lady" character and look that's both relatable and potentially iconic - I don't want her to be a clone of Smith or Tenant.

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starkers likes this.
  6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Fair enough. I can see it working, but I like how she looked in Broadchurch.

Whittaker has already confirmed that the outfit seen in the video is not her official outfit. With that in mind, I wonder if the same is true with the hairstyle.

:guffaw:

{ Emilia } and Jedman67 like this.
  7. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's the difference between changing the doctor's gender and his nationality. If someone like Chris Pratt wanted to be the Doctor, I cheer.

8. Jedman67

It's like having a British actor play superman - you just can't do it.

#sarcasm

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  9. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Jedman67 and Starkers like this.
  10. Yminale

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Although Cavill plays Clark as an American, the same way Bale played Bruce Wayne. If someone is the right choice for the Doctor I don't care who they are or where they're from, just so long as they have a recognisably British accent. Even the most inclusive have some red lines that Who shouldn't cross ;)

12. Jedman67

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think it was around the time of the mcgann movie that I read an article which said that just as Mr Spock is from outer space and yet still American, the Doctor is from outer space and yet still British. I agree, though if a non-British actor could do a convincing accent (be it RP, cockney, Scottish or whatever), I'd give him or her a chance.

Brefugee likes this.
  14. Yminale

I think that's silly. Americans don't care what funny accent you have as long as you are good (see Doctor Strange)

15. Yminale

That doesn't make any sense at all. So you would boycott Doctor Who, if he spoke with an American or Australian accent but having him female is OK?

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Was that not Capaldi's hoody she was wearing

17. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First off, I think she'll be great. She was great in Broadchurch and there's way more heavy lifting in that show than we're likely to see in Doctor Who. Second, I was really hoping that The Doctor would regenerate into Bill, so this is a bit of a disappointment for me personally. I guess I'll live.

As for the whinging about the gender-change, it reminds me of the good old days of nuBSG. Ten years later, you'd think that perhaps fandom would grow up. Oh well.

Kitty Worrier and Skellington like this.
  18. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Yminale

No I get it. "I don't want my fragile national pride hurt".

BTW nothing wrong with a British or Scottish Superman. They would need to tweek the origin story but who cares.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Well, I've never said I'd boycott them. But the show has always had a peculiarly British quality and charm as has the character. It would lose a lot of that if the lead character suddenly sounded American or Aussie.

I suppose the important thing for me is that the actor/actress capture the essence of The Doctor. Obviously there's more to that than accent but it would certainly feel like he or she had lost some of the Doctor's personality.

I'll rephrase- I'll give anyone a chance but if they sound American or Australian, I think they'll have just that more difficult a job in persuading me that they're The Doctor.