Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Jul 16, 2017.

1. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you again for the explanation. I have understood you already with your previous posts - and actually of course I know the difference.

But like I said: I allow myself to see it differently.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Jedman67 and ihno like this.
  3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    You're seriously asking if the reason I prefer my dad to be male is just because that's what I'm used to? :wtf:

My take on the numerous angry posts you and a few others have made in this thread is that anyone who dares to say that they would prefer the Doctor to remain male (played by a male actor) should crawl off in shame because how dare they express an "unenlightened" and "sexist" opinion.

For my part, yeah, I'm used to the Doctor being male. I've also stated that I'm probably going to give this new Doctor a chance (remember, it's an extra charge on my cable bill since the channel Doctor Who is on in my region is not part of my basic cable, and is a significant amount of money on my budget).

I'm also used to the Doctor being played by an actor from the UK. Am I going to be branded a "xenophobe" for stating that I would prefer that both the Doctor and the Master be played by UK actors (of whichever gender)? We've already seen an American actor play the Master (in the 1996 McGann movie). The results were so far below underwhelming, that I ran out of letters of the alphabet to give it a rating when I wrote a review for a Calgary TV/film publication. You can't get any lower than "Z".

jaime and Brefugee like this.
  4. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah. I knew what it was.

5. jaime

And disturbingly they have it wrong. They reopen the can of worms that is the morbius thing, which is flatly contradicted on screen, though vaguely explained in the novels, and unless they are going with 'on screen only' they have missed Arabella Weir, and the other Unbound Doctors.

6. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

There was a significant difference when it came to how people reacted to hysterical posts ("Franchise ruined forever! SJW are the worst! PC nonsense!", pretty offensive stuff) compared to more reasonable reactions that still said they're not a fan of the idea. The first were rightly called out. The latter, while irritating (like @Australis rather bizarre sexist post claiming that being "wise, caring and a guardian" is associated with a male figure) weren't criticized as much.

rocketdave, Kemaiku and Brefugee like this.
  7. Timewalker

How was @Australis being either bizarre or sexist? As I recall, he used the word "avuncular" which does mean "like an uncle". Uncles are, by definition, male. I don't think he meant that women can't be wise, caring, and a guardian. I do think the point was that it's incorrect to refer to women as "avuncular".

8. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Everyone forgets Peter Cushing!

Avauntular? Avante-gardular?

Jedman67 likes this.
  9. jaime

He was Dr.Who, and human....:p
    Nah, you're right. I forgot.

10. { Emilia }

No.

As you can see, he did use the word "avuncular" but also clearly stated that the traits (see plural) mentioned (wise, caring, guardian) are associated with a male figure.

I'm not going to start debating specific posts with you now. My point was something else: Posts that were a little bizarre or posts that calmly explained why a male Doctor would've been their preference didn't get nearly the same criticism as posts that started hurling "SJW!!! PC crap!!!" from the get-go.

You are trying to "police" the reactions' language whereas you're completely ignoring what triggered them. The hysterical posts were pretty offensive yet most people's reactions were perfectly focusing on the content of the post, not the person of the poster.
    And when, in one instance, somebody attacked the poster, @Timby even stepped in to tell that person to stop.

11. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

I'm applying the same yardstick as I have with all previous Doctors - if they can sell me on the idea that they're the same character I've been watching all these years, then they ARE the Doctor.

Eccleston had me at that speech about feeling the Earth turning. Tennant had me at "New teeth" and Smith at "That must be a heck of a scary crack in your wall". Capaldi had me even before he showed up, but then I didn't know much about Tennant and Smith and what I did know of Eccleston had me concerned he was the wrong type of actor.

DenOfGeek suggests taking a look at Whittaker in Adult Life Skills if you've only seen her in Broadchurch or other serious roles and are worried about her ability to carry off whimsy, silliness and humour...

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Your lengthy post in relation to the article I posted implies otherwise.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  13. Timewalker

Y'know what? I read this thread in nearly one sitting, and some details didn't get remembered perfectly.

But one thing I did notice: Plenty of instances of moderators attacking the poster, not the post.

I am "policing" nothing. I am stating my observations and opinions of what's been going on.

It was interesting dropping into the Doctor Who forum I co-admin. The major problem there this morning was a technical glitch, which is in the process of being fixed, and it's going to be a nightmare to fix all the broken links caused by the Photobucket situation. There are no arguments there whatsoever pertaining to the new Doctor. When people do start posting about it, I expect the reaction will be something along the lines of "Oh, cool."

We've got more important things to deal with on that site than bickering over labeling people.

14. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

@{ Emilia } @Timewalker Yeah, I walked back the wise caring guardian thing slightly, I was trying to emphasise the Dr's always been the crazy uncle type character who's a bit wild but tried to be protective, even when young, especially when old. Maybe have her as a crazy aunt? Auntie Mame? Yeah, that might not fly.

ETA: @matthunter said:
    And I agree entirely.

15. { Emilia }

That's okay. I didn't think you did it on purpose so I just quoted the relevant post again to remind you. Happens. :)

I can only speak for my own posts and I know I strictly limited my criticism to opinions/attitudes/posts, and did not attack anybody personally. If you've seen others attack a person, hit the report button instead of complaining about it here. That's what the button is for. As mods we strongly encourage that, to make sure threads don't turn into debates about tone and can stay on topic.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. { Emilia }

That seems like a good idea. ;)
    But again: It's not like you were attacked for the opinion. I did find your post weirdly sexist, though. I never really considered "wise, caring, guardian" to be associated to a specific gender. But that's not going to keep me from treating you with respect and our conversation has remained perfectly civil. ;)

17. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Yeah, maybe I should have said not all males are wise, caring guardians (see: trekbbs). :)

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing is for dam sure, the rating for the first episode or 2 of Season 11 will go thru the roof!! Whether people like the idea of woman Doctor or not, everyone will tune in to see how she does in her first story.

19. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I find it rather odd that you're associating this almost exclusively with men when the "wise old woman/grandmother" trope recurs frequently in media.
    And I don't like the word "homosexual," but it's based on Latin and is an accurate descriptor. Grow up.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I didn't mean that they canned Baker because the show wasn't being watched, I meant they regenerated rather than cancelling due to ratings. The first Doctor couldn't play the part anymore, so instead of cancelling the show (because of viewers), they invented regeneration so they could recast it and have it be legit.

Every other time the producers thought the actor was no longer right or if the actor himself no longer wanted to play the role, they weighed the options. "Should we end the show or not?" 11 of those 12 times they decided to keep the show going by recasting.

Kemaiku likes this.