JJ Abrams confirms ST4 and not recasting Chekov

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by JeffinOakland, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We get to see her Kobayashi Maru?

Sweet.

Nog was a cadet intern serving on the bridge after his first year... Because there are some arguments about how much time there was between the Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before, Spock may have been a Cadet when he went to Talos IV.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I think we can do without another of those.

Chekov was 17 in ST09, Wesley Crusher got to fly the ship. I don't think it's hard to find a solution. Or just put them on the bridge and don't give any explanation. I don't give a shit as long as she's there.

3. mymatty

mymatty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Her talents seem more suited to Security or Engineering.

Plus, she should still be in the Academy for the remainder of their deep space mission.

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only if training to be an officer.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So place the film at the end of the mission.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why she would be at the Academy as opposed to ordinary Starfleet training.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well Chekov was absent in a lot of TOS--and we saw him on Reliant. So the character has been abroad more than the rest.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

I'm hoping if we another 2 movies after Star Trek 4 that we get a story arc (similar to the Genesis arc that spanned Star Trek 2,3 and 4) starting with Star Trek 4.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the impression their mission get sort of derailed for at least a year and some, considering the Enterprise was destroyed...

DaddlerTheDalek and mymatty like this.
  10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Or start the next movie 4 or 5 years after this one

11. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

JJ Abrams to me is making a mistake. He needs to recast Chekov.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

If they bring the Animated Series into canon (which aired without Chekov), this would be an appropriate time to introduce Lt. Arex as Chekov's replacement. Have Chekov transfer back to the Academy for advanced defense training and his eventual posting as a weapons officer.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Dunno, they said at the start of the movie that another, more advanced ship was being built (but not quite ready yet), so it may not be that far out. Kinda implied that that one was almost finished, and wouldn't be long to finish it up and figure out where to buy enough paint to rename it and slap an A on it, and good to go.

Was actually a little surprised that they showed the finished ship at the end. Not for any story reason, but because it pushes them to use that model for the next one, instead of being able to tweak it more as they go. Could have kept that a tighter shot and just showed the lights come on highlighting the "Enterprise-A" font and not committed to the design...

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. It's horrendous that Anton died in such awful circumstances, and I wouldn't recast. He's left the ship for a new post elsewhere. Any replacement should be female to give the cast more gender balance, and there's a ready replacement in Jaylah.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Particularly when you consider that the entire cast is just a "re-cast" anyway, there's no reason not to re-cast Chekov again. Yes, what happened to Anton is sad, but life goes on. Dedicate the movie to his memory and let it go at that.

17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't look to me like it was too close to completion in the penultimate scene.

Continuity lapses between successive movies is par for the course (see e.g. 1701-A bridge in STIV / V). Besides, expecting them to change the external appearance of the nu-1701-A to anything other than Constitution-like ain't gonna happen. The Enterprise will look like the Enterprise in these films.

18. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Bring Jaylah back. We can use another woman on the bridge since there's an open slot.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

He really doesn't.

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The comics may address a series of adventures using the Yorktown and Franklin while the new ship is completed. Jaylah's training may be addressed in there.