Jimmy Savile

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Starkers, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned the parallel with Jerry Sandusky here in the US, right down to the charity work that was intended to groom victims and throw others off from the crimes, and the organizational coverups (as it was with the leadership at Penn State) that perpetuated it. This is, sadly, far from an unprecedented pattern. :(

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

His point wasn't that they are similar, at least in any other way than there are rumours, rumours with no proof. So people can say they know they are gay as much as they like but that doesn't mean it's true.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah that was all I was saying really, rumours follow a lot of celebraties around, be it relating to their sexuality, drug/alcohol use, eating disorders, who's made use of nopotsism/the casting couch etc. The vast majority are false or shouldn't be an issue but that doesn't stop them.

It strikes me that there was definitely a culture that, if it didn’t endorse what he was doing, may have chosen to turn a blind eye, and as distasteful as it is, if people were assuming he was sleeping with 16+ year olds and it was perceived as consensual they might have figured it was acceptable, and probably no worse than what other celebrities were doing (hell some, like Ronnie Wood are still doing it!) which probably acted as yet further camouflage for his more dubious encounters .

It definitely appears there was a very sexist culture at work given some of the stories coming out unconnected to Jimmy about the inappropriate behaviour of some male radio and TV presenters (though it wouldn’t surprise me if there were a few female presenters as well).

Man and I thought learning the Krankies were swingers was going to be the most shocking thing I heard about people who were a major part of my childhood :(

4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you....i had wiped that from my memory......now it's back in all its fandabbydozzy innuendo. lol

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

ha ha, sorry about that!!

6. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The....

The....Krankies....swingers..??!!:eek:

These words being used in conjunction with each other do not compute.[Is there a vomit smiley?]

7. Bob The Skutter

:barf: <-- that one?

8. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Holy mother of mercy!
    Please tell this is a wind-up.

Only now I'm curious to know if the schoolboy uniform was integrated into the mix.:ack::barf:
    God,I need to lie down a while.:rommie:

9. Bob The Skutter

No, no wind up.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yuyp, it is apparently true.

sorry ;)

11. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Aye, it's true according the Krankies, mind. If I looked like either of them I'd make shit up about my sex life too.

12. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    No idea who he is but that picture is creepy as hell.

He looks like a white haired Marty Feldman!

13. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Bob The Skutter

Actually saw a tweet earlier that said "Why should I pay Licence fee money to a bunch of paedophile protectors?" Yeah, because that's exactly what happened. Jimmy Savile was shagging kids in front of his bosses and they decided to keep it secret, not even kept it secret but defended him to their very last breaths... Oh, wait.

It's easy to point fingers in hindsight, it's easy to believe that people must have known. But basically what you have is what appeared to be an eccentric bloke, doing good work for charity and had rumours spread about him... just rumours that happen to be true.

15. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well we wont know the extent of who really knew what till the investigation is complete....but the BBC have not done themselves any favours with this newsnight thing.....why the programme was pulled seems to be a question nobody is willing to answer or take responsibility for.......hopefully the panorama show tonight will have some answers on it because the BBC really need to be shown as totally transparant in this whole thing.

The sooner the whole thing is out in the light the better.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I watched bits and pieces of the Panorama programme, but decided I wanted something more lighthearted before bedtime, and as I've been working my way through a Mitchell and Webb DVd for the umteenth time I put that on instead...

At which point this happened! Spooky or what!

http://youtu.be/yBlUzPlnx6U

Tried and failed to embed!

17. Bob The Skutter

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBlUzPlnx6U[/yt]

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

19. Bob The Skutter

Clicking the share button on the video is useless, you have to get the URL from the youtube page. Silly really.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's what I did, and used the [yt] [/yt] bits but it just posted as a big blank!