Jeyl's TMP Edits

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Jeyl, May 15, 2022.

1. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

After being made aware of the Fan Productions thread in a TMP thread (Still learning new things), I've decided to take all the TMP edits I've made since last August and any potential future edits into this thread moving forward. We'll see how things turn out.

Edit 1: Exiting the Officer's Lounge
    When the 4K Director's Edition was initially announced, the first scene to come to mind was whether or not Kirk leaving the Officer's Lounge scene was going to get another edit. Incase you didn't know, Kirk leaving the Officer's Lounge is the only scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture that is different across ALL OFFICIAL EDITS of the film. The theatrical, the Special Longer Version and the original Director's Edition. What could be done to make Kirk's edit better?

Goal: Emphasise the wrist Communicator.
    The original Director's Edition incorporated the SLV footage of Kirk leaving the Officer's Lounge in a slightly different edit. Instead of Bones stopping Kirk and asking him "How do we know about any of us" with Kirk just ignoring him and leaving, bones now asks Kirk the question before he gets the call. But there was one thing that throws this off and that was Uhura's Dialogue.

"Bridge to Officer's Lounge. Captain Kirk, revised estimate on cloud visual contact: 3.7 minutes."

Since the communicator footage was re-incorporated, why would she announce 'Officer's Lounge' if she was communicating with Kirk through the communicator? Indeed, her dialogue is geared towards the 'Theatrical Version' edit of the film where the wrist communicator isn't even used so she had to come in through the Lounge's PA system. So what could be done to emphasize the communicator? Here were my steps.

1. Insert a communicator beep to set up the communicator.
    2. Adjust Uhura's audio so it sounds like it's coming from the communicator.
    3. Edit out "Officer's Lounge" from Uhura's call.

And here it is.

So, imagine my surprise when I start watching the 4K version of the Director's Edition that some of these edits were actually incorporated into the final edit! They did their own thing of course. Uhura calls in "Bridge to Captain Kirk" and she waits for Kirk to acknowledge with his wrist communicator before she proceeds with the rest of her dialogue. I'd like to 'think' I may have influenced this edit, but I'll be content in knowing that the editors went in that direciton. :)

Edit 2: Klingon Transmission
    Here's something funny. The insert shot of the two displays in the Epsilon 9 scene contains both a good change and a terrible change in the new 4K edition. The new Tactical Display is a great change while the Klingon Footage is absolutely terrible. Instead of trying to recreate the same distortion effect that is used when Epsilon 9 contacts the Enterprise (Something they tried to do in the original Director's Edition), someone decided to simply pixelate the Klingon footage. An odd choice for a film made in 1979 where such a video effect was not possible to create. It's not even an effect used in a majority of the films.

For this edit, I decided to re-incorproate the moment of the Klingon Commander getting blasted away from his chair with some added visual and audio effects. While this is technically the same Klingon Commander played by Mark Lenard, I felt there was enough going on that you could see this Klingon as a different one than the Klingon Commander we've seen before and after this shot. I also wanted to make the moment where when the transmission cuts off, that's when the Klingon Cruiser on the tactical display disappears. In a second edit of the scene, I added more 'oomph' to the initial impact and added the 'Klingon Torpedo Disappears' computer sound to the Klingon ship disappearing to draw more attention to it.

And an edit I did just for fun, I turned the Enterprise leaving Drydock in the style of Roger Corman's 'War of the Satalites'. I just love the music from that film and thought it fit the Enterprise's departure.

Thanks for stopping by!

blssdwlf, GNDN18, Ottens and 2 others like this.
  2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Very nice.

Good video here too

Pauln6 likes this.