Jason Isaacs VS Sonequa. Who Should Have Been The Series Lead? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Kane_Steel, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Being the bad guy in the MU could go to interesting places. He's clearly a dick, but he could fighting for a better government. At least based on his interactions, he seems fine with the non-human crew. Hates Klingons, but that's probably somewhat common in the Prime universe currently.

The Emperor said that he groomed Michael. While to us that seems creepy, he could have convinced her that the Empire was wrong. Something truly awful in the Emperor's eyes, especially since its her adopted daughter.

Gonzo likes this.
  2. PaddyRyan1706

PaddyRyan1706 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well isn't there a substantial school of thought that Isaacs won't even be around for season 2?

3. alex08060

alex08060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It could explain why Sonequa is the lead

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Well the entire series has been framed around her, I doubt it has anything to do with only having one actor for a season. She was the main character from the inception of the show. It’s intentional, I don’t know how anyone could not tell unless they didn’t watch it.

She’s the more interesting character anyway. Lorca is just a Starfleet captain who’s shifty at best, it’s interesting but you couldn’t make the entire show about him. If it did, we’d have to know his goals and rob him of any interesting detail. If he leaves it will be because there is no where else they can go with him.

Gonzo, Ulva and fireproof78 like this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, part of his appeal is the discovery of his goals? ;)

I'l show myself out.

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  6. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

I think its also important to keep in mind, if lorca was the main character the show would be very different, and that isn't a promise to be different in a good way either.

We may then havethe question " who should be the main character, lorca or stamets"

Without knowing what the story would be its hard to say a different main character woulda been better.

Also I think people are too down on SMG and the Michael character. I see her as complex, and I love learning more about her. I think they have already established enough about her to carry another season. Lorca? Yeah being good cop/deranged cop in the same headspace is cool for a villain, I don't think it gives a lot.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, indeed.

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  8. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

agreed. Petyr Baelish is certainly a more interesting character than Ned Stark, but to see S1 of GoT out of his perspective would have been a major misstep

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    GeekUSACarl likes this.
  9. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

Everyone knows season one shoulda been told through Hodor's perspective.

10. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

the whole show should have been told through Hodor's perspective. If you need a second perspective, well, there is always the Mountain

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  11. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's pretty silly for you to bury your head in the sand.

Isaacs is playing the villain. I called it from the start, sadly. See the preview for Sunday's episode;

"Make the Empire Glorious again" ...... Lorca is our not-so-subtle Trump proxy.

And check this interview out from TV Guide;

"Who rises to the occasion and takes control will be really interesting.."

Who wants to bet that the person who takes charge will be Sonequa's Burnham...

12. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Meh. After seeing the video, all I can say is that they really are killing a great character. They've sucked a lot of the fun out of the show for me. Oh well.

Gonzo, Jadeb, PhotoBoy and 1 other person like this.
  13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because showrunners would never release intentionally misleading promotional material.

Gilora and XCV330 like this.
  14. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

PhotoBoy likes this.
  15. Sir Stewart Wallace

Sir Stewart Wallace Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Knowing this show, Lorca could end up being the Borg King. It's an OMFG THEN THIS HAPPENS plotting. Just have to wait and see.

16. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Oh, look. Lorca is into racial purity and xenophobia ... just like the Klingons! How clever. Glad they made that explicit.

As disappointing as this seems, Isaacs is still amazing in that monologue.

I really, really hope that there's another twist coming, that they don't turn Lorca into cardboard. But the writing so far makes me fear the worst, especially the undergraduate fixation on the duality motif. Let's hope they can resist temptation.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I refuse to believe they'd sacrifice the show's most popular character for something so one-dimensional. Even this lot isn't that inept.

18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Wiseman made a point of saying Mirror Lorca. Either she really follows forums or that was a little leak that Prime Lorca is in the script too.

19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm hoping he's privately a reformer, but knows he needs to play the role of a brutal human supremacist in order to secure the throne.

Of course, it would be even better if it was neither of these options, but something even more interesting.

Gonzo likes this.
  20. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

If he is a reformer, he doesn't get much done besides a uniform change. Then again Roman emperors didn't always last long enough to sign the paychecks.