Janeway and Chakotay

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by John Stefan, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Trekker09

Trekker09 Captain Captain

I was glad Chakotay wound up with Seven, but really enjoyed the episode “Resolutions” when Janeway and Chakotay are marooned, apparently forever, and gradually become more familiar – as in the bathtub scene.
    Kate Mulgrew wrote in her memoir Born with Teeth that Robert Beltran was “strikingly good looking, a curious combination of come hither and go away. He exuded an easy charm, but I often thought Robert was in a world of his own, dreaming of Shakespeare or women, anything but being lost in the Delta Quadrant. There was no question about his sex appeal however, or his virility.” That half attracting / half repelling trait describes his character well, IMHO.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Contraception is one hyposhot, once a month, every month, until you want a baby.

After Threshold, it's possible that Janeway got a tubal ligation or the 24th century equivalent.

But it wouldn't have been too much longer on the Resolutions planet, if they had not been rescued, that Janeway and Chuckles procreated, after they ran out of contraception, or just decided that they wanted children.

3. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not according to Picard...

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    In the original timeline pre-"Endgame" he did end up with her. But lost her and then died in 2394 before Voyager could make it home.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

About what you'd expect from the showrunners who also gave us clown car shuttles, infinite torpedoes, seven-year ensigns, vanishing Borg infants, cake-baking transporters, mathematically impossible Ocampa reproduction, and 3-day salamander babies.

6. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In "Shattered", Chakotay breaks every JC shippers heart when he tells past Janeway there was a line they "never crossed" or something to that effect.

WarpTenLizard and Rex3 like this.
  7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

The review on Tor.com theorizes that during the few weeks between Chakotay's warrior story in "Resolutions" and Voyager's return to pick them up, Janeway and Chakotay... ah, engaged in frequent intimate relations (not the term the reviewer used). I am inclined to agree.

I actually have an in-progress story (in the fanfiction forum) that explores the very issue being discussed.

8. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to say, the relationship between Chakotay and Seven always makes me cringe. It reminds me of the TNG season 7 romance between Worf and Troi, which also makes me cringe.

Akiraprise, Oddish and cooleddie74 like this.
  9. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

And Ezri/Bashir gives us the hat trick of cringeworthy romances. The only good thing about that lame pairing is that we didn't have to see much of it.

10. GotNoRice

I agree, and Kira + Odo was pretty bad also. Is this just a sign that a series has run it's course? Because this always seems to occur in the final season.

11. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw. I like Kira and Odo...

gweeps and suarezguy like this.
  12. Guy Gardener

Kirodo?

Odora?

Kodo?

Kiro?

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  13. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I vote for Odora. :hugegrin:

14. GotNoRice

Odo always struck me as this humble grandpa kind of guy, not exactly who I want to see making-out on screen. Also, I remember reading that the actors weren't too fond of the romance and IMO it showed via their acting.

With Worf and Troi it was weird because they spent the entire series with Troi and Riker being "almost" together, and of course they do end up becoming a couple eventually. And Worf was on DS9 for many years and I don't think he ever mentioned Troi even once, which was weird not just because he had initiated a romance with her, but also because Troi was the godmother of his son. Troi literally got more screen time on Voyager than she got on DS9.

gweeps and Summer Solstice like this.
  15. Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice Captain Captain

I liked Odo and Kira before they got together when it seemed like Odo just loved Kira from a distance.

After season 1, Riker seemed to go after everyone except Troi. It's kind of odd that they got together after many years of Troi seeing Riker dating a lot of other people.

I think Chakotay had got over Janeway by the end of season 4. Things between them seemed one-sided from then on. Chakotay seemed a bit surprised at Janeway inviting him for dinner in "Timeless", like it wasn't something they did regularly. They also had dinner in Janeway's quarters in "The Disease", "The Voyager Conspiracy" and "Shattered", but I don't think they meet in Chakotay's quarters. In "Course: Oblivion", they have a weekly dinner but that's the silver blood aliens.

gweeps likes this.
  16. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Chakotay used to sneak to her quarters and watch her sleep. When he confessed this, she found it romantic. He then tampered with the settings of her replicator without her permission, and acted like an obsessive controlling creep, confessing to her, 'You're like heroin to me.' This, too, she found very romantic. Then, after a few months of dating, he had to leave her. She spent the next feu months having night terrors and literally waking up screaming. She tried many times to commit suicide. He, too, tried to kill himself rather than live without her, by opening his shirt and revealing his sparkly chest to the Italian masses. But she saved him at the last minute. They then had a honeymoon on the west coast of Brazil."

~ Jeri Taylor, probably.

17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Unlikely, since Janeway states that "I would like to have a child someday" in "The Q and the Gray". Although tubal ligation is probably routinely reversible in the 24th century, there's probably safer modes of contraception.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  18. Guy Gardener

I can see Janeway clubbing her unwanted babies as they escape.

Although she has to be careful not to putt them back inside her.

19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Nah. Kathryn Janeway had kids. They were able to live independently at the age of 3 days. Because Kathryn Janeway doesn't do diapers.

20. Guy Gardener

How selfcleaning are the ships/houses/streets?

If you could walk around bare assed, expelling waste, and nanites or robots or transporters dispose of that waste before it hits the ground, wouldn't you?

It's possible that no one does diapers.