James Cameron Announced His Return to Terminator

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree, that is what I'm hoping for regarding both franchises. :biggrin:

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is great news. Another Cameron directed Terminator movie has been one of my dream movies for a while. I doubt it'll be at the same level as the first two, but hopefully it should at least be good.
    The article on CBR is kind of confusing, they talk about Cameron rebooting and concluding the franchise, but then it also says one of the producers is going to look into reviving the franchise.
    First of all, I don't see how reboot can conclude something since reboot means to start over. And I don't see how what Cameron does will be concluding the franchise if they're already talking about "reviving" it.

3. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Isn't that kinda what The Mouse is doing with Indy, one last film with Ford then directly into reboot mode?

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^/^^ Until concrete story details from an actual production are known, such as from an official plot summary, any speculation is mere wild-guessing. This prospective movie may well not even be produced.

5. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

After the Genisys mess I'm not interested in another Terminator film unless it is written and/or directed by James Cameron. And according to the reports this will not be directed by Cameron, but by Tim Miller. And I doubt Cameron will have the time to write it either with him writing and preparing Avatar 2, 3, 4, 5…

6. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not even James Cameron can sort the Terminator franchise out now.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

People just don't want to see T-movies, the box office for last 3 and a failed TV show is evidence of it. Even if it was good, at this point would they get people to see it.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Genisys make like half a billion dollars?
    Hardly a movie nobody wants to see...

9. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Well, let's see:

Genysis had a budget -- according to sources cited on the wikipedia page, of $155 million with 50 to 100 million in advertising (which higher than I understand most films get -- much higher).

So, to be fair let us say it was $200 million total for the budget, and not count a full $100 million advertising.

The world wide box office thus far is about $441 million, so sadly this thing profitted, but not a whole hell of a lot. It made its budget back and then doubled that, but that's certainly not enough, if Hollywood operated under normal circumestances, to to finance another sequel -- you'd be taking the profit to make another.

I'd say it was borderline a failure. But failure has never stpped Hollywood. Take for example "Knight Rider": a failed spin off series, a failed TV movie, another failed spin off series, then the failed 2008 series, but now we have it coming again.

I think what people want to se is a good film from that franchise, especially with Cameron overseeing it.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

$440 million and the studio considered that a disappointment, a good chunk of that came from China where studios keep only a small part of the ticket price.

11. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

It doesn't really matter whether Cameron is involved in this next "TERMINATOR" movie or not. Although I'm a big fan of his 1984 movie, his 1991 movie is my second least favorite in the franchise. I thought the movie's second half was overrated. And my favorite TERMINATOR movie wasn't even directed by him.

12. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

It matters to a lot of people though.

"Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man!"

Favorite ≠ best (or even good)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  13. tharpdevenport

How does one have a final battle with Skynet anyway?

As long as one time machine is still in existance, Skynet can change that and at any time during the battle before the final time machine is found.

What is to stop Skynet from creating another, say on the moon or someplace off Earth where humans can't survive, but terminators can?

Assuming Skynet can't get somebody back to change things, how do we not know they already have sleeper terminators waiting in the past to change things?

What if Skynet backs itself up off world or someplace and is not found? It has been fighting humans a long time and have fialed several times in time travel, so why wouldn't it takes steps to protect itself?

Oh what a mess. A lot is going to have to be ignored to bring this to a close.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  14. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

You ask it if it would like to play a game? :D

15. tharpdevenport

As long as it isn't like the Terminator games:

16. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Of course it's my opinion. That's what everyone is doing on this message board, expressing his or her opinion. And I'm a woman, not a man.

17. tharpdevenport

That was a famous film quote.

If I refer to someone as "Saint dickless", it doesn't mean that person has a dick. Not everything is sexual.

18. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Send in James T. Kirk for a battle of self-destruct logic.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Some good points. Largely, I feel the series has written itself into a corner. I don't think Cameron expected to have several sequels when he came up with the concept. It works OK for the first two movies, but then quickly degenerates into a mess, each subsequent movie with its own version of events . And it's all John Connor's fault! ;)

Short of a Terminator vs Aliens movie, it's going to need a hell of a good script for me to see it after the tepid mess of Genysis.

ichab likes this.
  20. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

That was more entertaining than the last two movies.

Turtletrekker likes this.