Jadzia Dax - trill angle reviewed

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by jonds91, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Ezri is a fine character but perhaps in my place I wouldn't have replaced her so late in the series run but had her come back to throw Worf in a crosshairs just for an episode or two. It's just that with the last season, it took a bit of writing muscle to fully integrate her into the show, embroil her in controversy and blend her into the ensemble even to the cost that the conclusion of the Dominion War struggled for space. I rather have the DW fleshed out a bit more than the stuff with Ezri finally hooking up with the brooding Bashir which was a bit ho-hum for me. If Ezri had two seasons to blend in.... that'd be perfect but life is rarely like that I suppose.

I will say that with the Ezri character she is persuasive as a continuation of Dax once the writers stabilised her temperament. I would've thought before hand it'd look silly trying to link the characters together but upon watching it, I didn't think of questioning the continuity between Jadzia and Ezri. And that's a credit to deBoer.

As for Jadzia dying..I just felt that her staying back on the station was quite contrived. I saw what was going to happen a mile off. There's a whole universe of creative possibilities to choose a proper death for her without having to do that.

2. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

I'll have you know I haven't had a drop of canard in ages!

3. jonds91

jonds91 Lieutenant Red Shirt

All I can say is it was sad Jadzia got canned :-(

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Not sure quite what you're getting at here, but Jadzia's death was part of the first draft of TotP, it was part of the story from day one. Originally, she was going to chase Dukat in a shuttle and get killed somehow while trying to stop him destroying the wormhole. The making of this episode is captured in the book Star Trek Action if you're interested.

mlbach likes this.
  5. jonds91

jonds91 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Interesting, so it wasn't a last minute thing after all? This makes me doubly peeved. I can understand if negotiations broke down between Farrel and the producers but if this was known well beforehand then Jadzia deserved a much send. For the sake of the fans. This is very sad :-(