iZombie - Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Janeway’s Girl, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Metatextually, that's obviously the reason, but I'm talking about the in-universe logic of it. It's contradictory for Liv to change so completely while other zombies remain consistently themselves. And frankly I dislike it that the personalities overtake Liv so completely. It's gotten to the point that she doesn't even seem to have a personality of her own, that she's just a blank slate on which the guest personalities are being superimposed, and that's a liability in a series lead. I think they need to dial it back -- to go back to the way it was originally, with Liv having her own distinct persona that's merely modulated by the brain-induced personas, rather than transformed into pure caricatures like they're doing lately.

2. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that Major has taken the cure (:() wouldn't it be a weird twist of events if he turned bad like Blaine was before he took the cure...

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well that will be a very Doll House thing to happen.

4. Christopher

I'm still not seeing a lot of connection between Liv's brain-eating personas and her personal arc in the stories. It did seem at a few points that it helped her be firm with her friends when she had to be, like insisting that Ravi get some sleep, but I could've just been reading that into it. It still seems to me that there's no longer any real connection between the personas of the week and Liv's larger character arc, no way in which the brains are giving her perspectives that help her with, or complicate, her personal life. It's just, there's the personal story over here, and there's the murder case and the brainy antics over there.

Daran Norris's character has been a red-herring murder suspect so many times on this show that I feel they need to eventually pay it off by having him actually turn out to be the murderer.

5. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dominatrix was fun, but lawyer Ken Marino and Johnny Frost were hilarious. Sketch artist was fun too. But I really hope Ken Marino returns to play his defense attorney some more. He was just brilliant.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I must say I'm liking the adventurous music choices this season: "Man of La Mancha" as Major embarks on his quixotic quest to rescue Whats-Her-Name, "One Tin Soldier" in the aftermath of the battle scene, etc.

I don't recall the show's music choices being so creative or eclectic before.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Janeway’s Girl

Looks like Blaine is back to his old ways...

Poor Liv. I forgot that Major gave the syringe to Natalie.

9. Christopher

Me too. I thought it was going to turn out to be in the bag he lost on the bus during his brief memory loss. (By the way, it was pretty silly of him to put his bag out of sight in the overhead compartment when he knew he might lose his memory at any time. Then again, bus companies provide tags where you can write your name and contact info in case of lost luggage, so it shouldn't have been that hard to reunite him with his bag.)

10. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

so wait a minute, Blaine has his memory, so what's he doing with the memory enhancer fluid?

11. Christopher

Just had a thought... Did he know about the extra-intense visions Liv had while on the fluid-soaked brain? I think there was a scene with him and Peyton watching while Liv had one. So I'm guessing he's going to recreate Ravi's memory enhancer and market it to zombies as a new drug, a way to have more intense visions.

12. Janeway’s Girl

I'm confused. Who stole the syringes?

Also, last episode it seemed like Liv and Major were on their way to getting back together, now Major's okay with her and Justin possibly dating? Weird. I get that with her still being a zombie it's difficult for them to have a relationship but obstacles can be overcome.

Never thought I'd want those two together. How times have changed.

13. Christopher

That's why they call it a mystery. The investigation of that question will probably take up much of the season.

Although it could be someone at Filmore-Graves. A "cure" for zombies is a threat to their business model.

14. TalonCard

TalonCard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, at least this post is succinct in its explanation of obvious words. Maybe try this more often?

TC

15. Christopher

So is Vivian dead? Was she in the helicopter when it blew up? The episode was unclear, but I got that impression. It looks like Jason Dohring's character has come in as her replacement.

Still no improvement in the treatment of Liv's brains-of-the-week -- they're still one-note caricatures that have no bearing on the storylines in any real way. Maybe the daredevil brain made her more eager to infiltrate the zombie-haters' meeting, but as it turned out, that didn't really go anywhere. (Although we did get a look at Rose McIver's normal appearance as Liv's "disguise.")

Sometimes I wish Clive would just lose his patience and say enough -- this new persona is too much, too disruptive, and you need to get it under control before you sabotage this case. I'm rather surprised he didn't do so here, because this persona was very disruptive.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  16. Janeway’s Girl

If she was still alive then there wouldn't be a need for her brother-in-law to take over leadership of Fillmore Graves. Though I suppose she could have faked her own death for some reason.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  17. Christopher

Yeah, that's what I figured, but the episode could've made it clearer. First off, there didn't seem to be enough time since we last saw Vivian for her to reach the helicopter; I suppose there was a time jump between scenes, but the impression it created was that there wasn't time. And I don't think there was any overt dialogue or TV news report or anything clearly confirming her demise, unless it went by too fast for me to notice.

Certainly possible. It would be odd just to cut off her story arc so abruptly.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new boy was one of the larger love interests from Veronica Mars, so it's possible that this brotherinlaw is going to be around for a while, because Rob Thomas is his real life buddy.

19. Christopher

This week's episode was bizarrely lame. Seriously, in 2017, in a fantasy show that's based on a comic book and presumably has a lot of nerdly-oriented people in its audience, we actually get an episode that treats Dungeons & Dragons as some weird game that has to be explained to the characters and that none of them have ever played, and whose players are portrayed as dysfunctional geeks worthy of mockery? Was this a rewrite of a script written 20 years ago? Come on, there's a whole generation or two of people who grew up playing RPGs, including many who are big names in media, computers, and such. Surely this is mainstream by now, and we should be well past the days when it was seen as a freakish subculture. Given that they actually went to the trouble of getting permission to reference D&D by name, I'm surprised by the episode's attitude toward gaming.

Plus, the portrayal of Liv on the DM's brain underlines everything that's wrong with how the show's being written this season. I doubt very much that most DMs act like DMs all the time. Just because they narrate and roll dice while playing a game that entails those things, that doesn't mean they do it in other situations, any more than a person who plays football recreationally would wear a helmet and pads in the office or tackle the waiter at a restaurant. But these days, all of Liv's personas are reduced to one-note caricatures, pure gimmicks that contribute nothing to the plots and don't have any depth. It's getting really dumbed down, and this was the dumbest yet.

Not only that, but it just got dumped midway through. The FBI took over the case, the murder went unsolved, and Liv ate tube brains to de-DM herself. So what was even the point? It's like the whole D&D thing was just filling time until the got to the arc stuff with Graves and Baracus and the returns of Bozzio and Mr. Boss. What a mess.

20. Janeway’s Girl

I also thought it was weird. Though it was very entertaining watching the group play the game.