It seems there is a reason for the visual reboot and the producers aren't being honest about it.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Smoked Salmon, Apr 15, 2018.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I can't argue with that.

Like the show or not, the front office doesn't know what the hell is going on.

Ronald Held, ITDUDE and BillJ like this.
  2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The "its own world" comment wasn't literal about DSC being in another universe. It's a phrase used a lot for all shows with their own viewpoints, like someone saying "the world of DS9". When Worf came onto the show the writers talked about how DS9 Worf would be different from TNG Worf. It's the same character from TNG but calibrated for DS9's cast dynamic and tone. DSC is doing its own thing much like all the previous shows did their own thing, only now including visual style.

Lord Garth, JoeP, Tuskin38 and 2 others like this.
  3. INACTIVERedDwarf

INACTIVERedDwarf Commander Red Shirt

Just want to thank you for posting this.

After years of people saying that TOS's Enterprise would look fine with modern lighting and detailing, we finally have imagery to demonstrate just that.

4. DanielPMonut

DanielPMonut Lieutenant Red Shirt

I mean, it's funny, I think those Smithsonian photoshops are a cool exercise, but to me, they demonstrate the opposite--how lanky and out of place the design looks. I remember when the possibility of the Enterprise showing up was just a vague rumor, looking at these images with my partner and talking about how cool they were, but how much they demonstrated the necessity of an update. I'm not saying it does or needs to demonstrate that to you or to anyone else, I'm just saying that there's clearly genuine disagreement about the timelessness or not of the TOS Enterprise's aesthetic, and no amount of demonstration is going to wave that genuine disagreement away.

Serveaux and SPCTRE like this.
  5. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't buy it. As much as I hate the argument that the reason one can tell that the Kelvin films failed is because the merchandise didn't move as quickly as the Prime merchandise, the Kelvin merchandise didn't move as quickly as the Prime merchandise. I think CBS Licensing realizes that the same would hold true for Disco. I think the creative team decided that they wanted to do something different. I don't know why we need a conspiracy theory for everything.

CaptGrumpy and DanielPMonut like this.
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they’re still right, just not in the way they thought. CBS wanted the Connie to be legally different for merchandising reasons.

Phoenix219 and ITDUDE like this.
  7. Tuskin38

The Kelvin movies

It’s own visual world, it’s style. They don’t literally mean a separate universe.

Also what they said:

CaptGrumpy, JoeP and KennyB like this.
  8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There's a lot about the design of the TOS ship - which I adore more than any other - that needs reworking in detail...but that was done long ago, by Matt Jefferies and Andy Probert and others for the first Star Trek movie.

Mad Jack Wolfe, Phoenix219 and Campe like this.
  9. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

It's astounding how the fake news from that Wrap piece about NuTrek merch continues to survive.

10. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

What fake news?
    I am pretty sure that NuTrek action figures ended up in Poundland rather quickly, and there was less and less merchandise for each film out the gate. Pine don’t sell as well as Shatner, it’s just a less popular wood...

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The idea that Abrams tried to request an embargo merchandise from all other Treks, so that only Kelvin timeline products would get merchandise, and that Paramount refused him being the reason he abandoned his plans for Star Trek, which would have included novels, comics and a TV series all interconnected with the movies.

People also claim that Abrams then took his plans to Disney, who enacted them with Star Wars, which is totally bogus. Lucasfilm was already planning this even before Disney even bought the franchise, and besides, Abrams doesn't have much actual authority over the Star Wars franchise overall.

seigezunt and Shaka Zulu like this.
  12. jaime

I had heard the first part...particularly that he got annoyed when the STO guys asked that the whole universe not be destroyed by Hobus. I know bad robot get a cut on some on the licenses, which is why the starships cost more, and possibly why the books fell through.

The Star Wars stuff is nonsense.

Can we go back to calling it rumours? Fake news is...naf.

13. Tuskin38

STO also wasn't allowed to use any Kelvin Timeline designs until 2016. One of the devs said it had something to do with JJ, but who knows.

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

CBS didn't get some of the Kelvin rights back for their exclusive use until the 3 picture deal with Bad Robot was over (During the deal bad Robot did need to sign off on further outside licensing and marketing of anything related to the Kelvin stuff). That's why the stuff appeared in STO after ST: B was released. The original deal was concluded.

15. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, right after the three movie deal was finished, was suspiciously also the exact time CBS planned to put their own Trek series on the market... They even immediately delayed it after Beyond was delayed, to have the exact timeframe of ~6 month after Beyond to be released...(then of curse they delyed it again, ...and again).

Strongly implying JJ Abrams and Bad Robots had much more control at the time over the franchise output than what was officially said. Having him be a dick about merchandies doesn't seem too unreasonable. Does anyone remember how he tried to blame the mediocre domestic performance of "Into Darkness" on that obscure Kirk-Spock co-op video game? That was kinda' nutty...

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And there's also the thing about the four Kelvin novels being cancelled right before release. Almost certainly on Bad Robot's orders.

17. Tuskin38

Actually, the KT stuff in STO was released July 6th, 16 days before Beyond premiered in the US, and a day before the world premier in Sydney (or maybe the same day, because timezones)

It only included ST'09 and Into Darkness stuff though, they were not allowed to make any Beyond things.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  18. jaime

To paraphrase Mallory or Tennyson or someone...
    The game was worth ten of the film.

19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't know if they had a legal reason to have to look different, but technology has advanced and aesthetics have changed, why *wouldn't* you visually reimagine Trek?