It seems there is a reason for the visual reboot and the producers aren't being honest about it.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Smoked Salmon, Apr 15, 2018.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm expecting the Discovery bridge (the window is the same shape) but with a TOS-ish helm/nav console in front.

2. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

possible, but production-wise it's easier for them to have two sets, not one they have to keep changing over.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They can't just redress the Shenzou's bridge, it's completely the wrong shape. It would be a near rebuild.

Well they're not wrong, Eaves said that himself that the calendar image was based off the design they submitted to the show before the VFX team changed it.

They went in with photoshop to try and match it as close as possible, but there are still some differences.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The original design could've utilized 2018's VFX technology. The statement makes no sense. Just be honest, "we changed it because we wanted to fucking change it".

PhotoBoy, Longinus, Jedman67 and 5 others like this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Two sets mean twice the amount of space needed. I'm betting on a simple redress.

6. Tuskin38

Look at this. it can't be simply redressed into the Enterprise' bridge because of the shape. It's built upside down in comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If they redress anything for the Enterprise, it will be the Discovery's bridge, not the Shenzhou's.

7. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They still should have a separate bridge to serve as a frequently redressed "guest bridge." For the Constitution, I think it should look about like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tuskin38

I bet they tore down the Shenzhou bridge set and built a new one for the Enterprise.

9. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

it's possible it's gone, but for such an elaborate set, that seems like a waste since they found a lot of use for it in season one (USS and ISS shenzou, USS gagarin).
    unless they struck the shenzhou set, they already have two bridges taking up stage space.

obviously it's just a guess, but i bet they could modify that thing into a pretty cool enterprise. or they got rid of it and built an enterprise bridge they intend to redress for other ships later in the season, like they did with shenzhou.

lawman likes this.
  10. Tuskin38

That's what I'm thinking.

Having a more 'traditional' bridge shape would be better for redresses.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    pst likes this.
  11. apepa

apepa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's not out of the question that Eaves could simply have been lying for convenience.

Faithfully rebuilding the old models in CGI can be a lot more difficult and time consuming than building a new or modified design with a higher level of detail. Especially for a TV show like discovery, where the writers may require the models to be modified or animated.

For example, I suspect the way the windows on Discovery and Shenzou protrude from the hull is because modelling them into a curved surface is often messy and inefficient. This way also makes it easier to composite camera footage into them.

12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Whoa, those renderings look amazing! Where are they from? Who made them?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw them before somewhere in the 100-200 page range of the enterprise thread. Good luck finding them :)

14. Tuskin38

I don't think they were lying, they were not fully informed.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the same set was used for both? Minor changes, of course, but still just one set.

16. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I like those bridge concepts, especially for the Cage era. For later TOS, though, they could use a splash more color. Keep the turbolift door and the railing their original color.

17. Tuskin38

Nope, two separate bridge sets. Look at the images I posted of the Shenzhou set.

They shared corridor sets and the transporter room, but not the bridge.

18. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as generic corporate statements go - this is a good one! And they finally did it, and came through with a statement clearing the situation up. Yay.:)

Thing is: We don't know who's "creative choice" it was to not use the old design. It's entirely likely that was a (not really so) creative choice by a producer: "Just change it. So it looks like our show! Also, so that we can sell seperate toys...."
    Technically a "creative" decision.

But I have absolutely NO DOUBT someone came to John Eaves and Scott Schneider and told them this new design has to be "legally different" from the original design. Even if it was just a decision on a whim from one of the corporate guys.

But - the most important part of course: CBS HAS THE RIGHTS TO USE THE OLD TREK STUFF. Yay! I suspected it was only that - a choice to sell different toys...erm..."creative choice"... - But it's very good to get a confirmation on that! CBS really can do old Trek if it wants! The future is saved!

Then again... this means the design choices in DIS so far have really been intentional...:crazy:

Nightowl1701, lawman, roneill and 3 others like this.
  19. Tuskin38

We've known that for a while.

20. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jason Soto.