Is TNG your favourite?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, May 3, 2019.

1. Spirit of 73

Spirit of 73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TNG is definitely mt favorite Star Trek. I am working my way through DS9 season six, and by now I have realized that DS9 has zero chance of catching up to TNG. DS9 is more consistently watchable than TNG, but I remember a show for its great episodes, not its bad ones. DS9's best episodes are nowhere near TNG's best, and that's what decides the issue for me. If an album has great songs and bad songs, I simply skip the bad songs and listen to the great ones.

Now, if you're proposing a watch-through of the entire show, the gap closes significantly, but I still prefer TNG by a comfortable margin.

As for best of all time, TNG is in consideration with a handful of other shows. Hard to pick just one.

JesterFace likes this.
  2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here.

Nothing in the franchise comes close to TOS, but TNG just had a few moments here and there.

Galileo7 likes this.
  3. comics1996

comics1996 Ensign Red Shirt

Tos to voy is my favourite

Prax likes this.
  4. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, it's not even a contest. While I can appreciate the saga of DS9, the highs and lows of Voyager and the boldness of TOS, none of it holds a candle to TNG. I care more about the characters far, far more. The death of Data in Nemesis got me in a place that no fictional death got me since I saw the first Transformers movie when I was 6 and watched Optimus Prime die. Serious lump in my throat from the Picard trailer. It gave us enemies like The Borg, Cardassians and Ferenghi. It spawned the finest captain to ever serve in Starfleet. Easily my favourite.

And yes, I can't think of a TV series that I know so intimately or a TV theme that gets me as pumped as TNG. There are some shows that come close, like Game of Thrones or seasons 1-8 of The Simpsons. But I love The Next Generation.

5. jgf

jgf Lieutenant Newbie

No. The best TNG episodes are better than the best TOS episodes, but I prefer TOS because the denouements to most plots can be seen by the viewer as well as the characters, where in TNG too many episodes end in "deus ex technobabble".

DS9 is a soap opera in sci-fi garb; a few interesting episodes do not redeem hours of soporific drivel, and the most interesting character - Odo - isn't developed enough.

Voyager could have been a serious "Lost In Space" but is typically silly and illogical, with characters I fell little sympathy for (Seven is quite interesting, they should have used her more).

Enterprise isn't Star Trek; the first couple of seasons are a decent science fiction show, from there it rapidly degenerates.

6. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

yes and yes it is.

JesterFace likes this.
  7. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Ensign Newbie

TNG is tired for last with VOY.
    Rascals is my fav show, and Ro my fav girl.
    Playing SFB did not coincide with TNG, we were still in the TOS timeline.

8. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG is for sure my favorite Trek series, followed by DS9 and then TOS, and would probably be my default favorite TV series overall too.

JesterFace likes this.
  9. HelenofBorg

HelenofBorg Lieutenant Red Shirt

TNG is not my favourite, DS9 is, but over all TV series of all time, it definitely makes the top 10

10. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG is my top 1 favorite series and it was the first Trek series I started with.

Voyager comes 2nd.

Prax and JesterFace like this.
  11. Spicy Thunder

Spicy Thunder Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think that over time, TNG has climbed its way to the top of my list.

Prax and JesterFace like this.