Is the Transporter still 'killing' people in Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Sci-fi fan, Feb 12, 2018.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Take the car.

2. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand the question. If you've already decided that transporter = dead, why would you expect that to be different in STD?

If you just wanted a discussion about the transporter and its deadliness, why not start it in General?

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

"Consciousness' gets tossed around like "aether." The supposed phenomenon to which it refers is not in evidence.

4. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You must be a robot then. As Descartes concluded, it is really the only thing existence of which we can know for sure.

5. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

This is dismissive without being compelling.

6. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

Yeah well my car doesn't split me into billions of pieces and then reassemble me elsewhere.

No way I'd ever get into a star trek transporter

7. Longinus

(And yes, this should be in General.)

As for transporters, they don't kill people in the Trek universe (except in a case of an accident), even though you think they logically should. Though even if you think that they take apart and reassemble people, I really don't think that the logic arguing that this results a clone is sound. If you think that certain combination of certain particles results a consciousness, there is no reason to think that that same combination of same particles at another moment in time would not result the same the consciousness, regardless of whether there was a moment in between those two moments where that combination of particles did not exist.

Furthermore, I really don't think that transporters even function exactly like that. Even though there are similarities, they're not replicators. They do not and cannot copy people (apart some freak accidents*) This inability to copy the transporter pattern leads me to believe that they operate on quantum level, and would thus be subject to no-cloning theorem. I think it might be best to think transporting as controlled large scale and long distance quantum tunnelling.

(* and perhaps there is some otherwise identical parallel universe, except in that universe William Riker permanently vanished and was presumed to be killed in freak transporter accident.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously, McCoy should sought medical treatment for his irrational phobia. Transporting (in his time and after) seemed safe as flying.

During ENT we got fed a line about them being very iffy but no accidents occurred that I can recall.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

10. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay so there is that one.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If consciousness isn't fixed within the body, then why do people die when they're vaporized? ;)

12. Longinus

It is fixed in the body, and if you put the body back together you put the consciousness back together too.

13. fireproof78

That's just a myth. No one has ever come back from being vaporized to describe their experience.

14. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I have no doubt that the transporter physics, as represented in the Star Trek mythos - matter to energy to matter - means death and recreation of a copy, regardless of what the copy thinks upon reassembly. The willingness of the characters to use it implies that's not so, but it's a contradiction in the fiction - not science. The only way that a death would not be involved is a portal technology like the Iconians, but that's not the same technology.

15. fireproof78

How very nihilistic.

16. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Tom Riker loves the transporter!

17. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh man that's cute!

18. Longinus

So if I disassemble my bike, put it in a box, and take it into another place and then reassemble the bike, then it is a different bike?

19. fireproof78

Well, it clearly lost its soul, that's for sure ;)

XCV330 likes this.
  20. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

No, it's the same bike, sans a few atoms that fell off in the process.