Is the bridge at a funny angle?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mike Doyle, Dec 17, 2020.

1. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

does that make the entire book canon? has the bridge schematic appeared on screen?
    how can something from canon that answers the question of this thread be meaningless? what they show is an intermediate orientation between 0 rotation and the FJ interpretation.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The bridge graphic with offset appeared on-screen in TMP:techman:

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Canon.

;)

Commander Troi, Tallguy and BK613 like this.
  4. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

I have not, so please remind me, if you don't mind - so with the little jog, the 947'-figure cannot be reconciled?

If the answer to the above is "yes," then can't Deck Two - science labs, if I recall correctly, and some "guest quarters" that apparently take a turbolift two or three minutes to reach from the bridge as we saw in The Enterprise Incident - have a portion cut out of the center to accommodate the sunken portion of the bridge? (Hey, maybe the turbolift has to take some special, two-or-three-minute route to reach Deck Two because of this problem!)

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I meant to imply that, yeah, Deck 2 would have to give up the space. The idea isn't to move any other decks, just move Deck 1 down half a deck (or so) into the middle of Deck 2.

However, this isn't my area of expertise at all! I've never gone down the rabbit hole of trying to make it all fit together with models (whether they be CGI, physical, or any other kind). I think opinions are given in-thread about it, but, yeah, it's now, I'd call it, a long thread to pore over. Maybe this bump can get those with more specific knowledge to recap their findings and/or knowledge for us?

As observed already (upthread, I believe), the sunken bridge is indeed what is shown in the cutaway figure in The Making of Star Trek. I just looked at the figure in the book with a magnifying glass. Yeah, the bridge is indeed sunken halfway or so into the deck below.

Personally, I'm not thrilled about the sunken bridge idea, though. The relevant exterior features on the ship model just scream that this is the bridge to me, not its chapeau. But, hey, it's in the cutaway, so it would seem at least that Jefferies was conscious of the size issues. :shrug:

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With an Enterprise 947' long the Bridge and turbolift (offset 36 degrees) fits snugly into the dome and nub with no room to spare. In fact the height of the nub on the 11' model is slightly too short for the turbolift, so already it would have to drop into Deck 2 by a couple of feet at least.
    So; to have enough space for the Bridge to face forwards and the turbolift to slide around a bit, the whole of Deck 1 would have to drop down entirely into Deck 2. The curved edges of the dome just don't have enough space any other way.
    [​IMG]

Ogrebear, publiusr, NCC-73515 and 2 others like this.
  7. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@CorporalCaptain Without getting into dimensions, it is my understanding that, for the same-sized ship, the bridge has to sink farther for the bridge-forward option than it does for the bridge-canted option.

ninja'd by @Mytran

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  8. CorporalCaptain

Does anybody have a screen-grab of this?

9. BK613

CorporalCaptain and ZapBrannigan like this.
  10. NCC-73515

Ok, I thought it was just the ships and some deeper deck plans.
    So then the answer still is: yes, the bridge is at a funny angle.

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The real bridge will be installed on Tuesday.

12. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Okay, rather than reread the thread, it's easier at this point just to recapitulate and ask my questions (as I may not have read the thread much the first time around). Anyone annoyed by this can see me for an appointment on Tuesday.

So, when did FJ produce this? https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/sftm/01-06-10.jpg

Was it after TAS? Because it doesn't look from the FJ prints like there's any way that the secondary exit is covered up in such a way that can be reconciled with shots of that area of the bridge in live action.

13. NCC-73515

Phaser Two likes this.
  14. BK613

And, yet the step and railing are offset...

15. CorporalCaptain

publiusr and BK613 like this.
  16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The old Huffman High School was a dome building….it would have been perfect for those sets…sigh

GNDN18 likes this.
  17. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

I've always gone with the "the ceilings aren't really that high, just soundstage standards" mode of thought, so I imagine the lift is directly behind the captain "in universe", and the opposite when I make my models of the exterior: I put the nub at the funny angle or put on two nubs to mimic the TMP placement. Which is all kind of funny to me, as I'm perfectly fine with the bridge being at an angle, it's just that I know it wasn't the intent, so I cheat.

In answer to the question though, for purposes of "the ceilings ARE really that high" mode of thought, the bridge IS at a funny angle, no two ways about it (and no real problems with that).

Tallguy likes this.
  18. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Based on the visual evidence, they are pretty high.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It seems that the cap seen in WNMHGB was removed for the crane shot in “The Galileo Seven,” but either way…

…cathedral ceilings usually mean a higher resale value.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And higher electric bills.

Commander Troi likes this.
  20. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

I’m never selling a house with you.
    [​IMG]