Is ST:ID Not Canon Anymore According to the New Continuity?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by VulcanMindBlown, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

We never saw him go to the bathroom, but unlike Jack Bauer we assume that he did at some point

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's still an experimental technology. We have seen it two times, by my reckoning and on screen statements. I know there is the argument for 3, but I think the second one could be contended. So, I'll leave it out.

The idea that something has killed no one is not an argument that sits well with me. For starters, did you know that Freud wrote a book praising the positive impacts of cocaine? Yes he did. Then, later on, when he recognized debilitating effects of the drug, he wrote a second book chronicling his issues with the drug.

I'm not saying transwarp beaming isn't beneficial but the long term effects are what I question. In all seriousness, we have seen TOS not be able to beam within the same ship for fear of ending up in a bulkhead. We also have seen unusual transporters cause long term damage to living tissue.

So, the question remains-we have seen it two times and we don't know the long term effects. I really don't want them to keep using it and kill some poor red shirt.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

He did use Transwarp beaming. Scotty finds his control device, goes through the coordinates entered into it, and determines it was Qo'nos (yes, I spell it the proper way) Khan was beamed to.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Exactly. That was even a specific plot point, the transwarp beaming was why they knew where Khan went.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Wasn't it "Kronos" first? The name was established in STVI.

6. The Wormhole

If what came first is our guide, then technically the Klingon homeworld's name is Kling, as that predates TUC.
    Sometimes, it's better to go with the revisions.

7. Nerys Myk

IIRC, both are correct. One is Klingonese and the other is an English transliteration.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Believe me, there are so many other things you should worry about when it comes the dangers of transporters. Ever see the TOS episode "And the Children Shall Lead"? Not only is there no safety system in place to alert the transporter chief that they're no longer in range of their destination, it doesn't even say if the subjects that are to be beamed up are even there. Spock had to turn on a view screen behind the station to realize that the ship was no longer in orbit. So despite Kirk killing two crew members, he still acts as though the the transporter and it's technician were in no way at fault.

9. Paul Weaver

Perhaps Kronos and Qo'nos are different planets, explaining how fast they managed to get there and back. Kronos may be a previously undiscovered moon orbiting the 7th planet in our own solar-system. Not sure why Klingons would be there, but we know from Final Frontier that Klingons do turn up within 6 light hours of the Earth, and discharge weapons, without anyone noticing.

10. fireproof78

I try to block out that episode (though SF Debris commentary was quite enjoyable) and that illustrates my larger point. Transporters are not exactly perfected in TOS, and transwarp beaming is just a newer development.

Again, it may not have "killed" anyone but the long term impact is still unknown. And there are many reasons that it can be no longer used.

11. The Wormhole

They also specified the Ketha Lowlands, which we know is on Qo'nos (General Martok's home).

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both ways were used in TUC. "Kronos" is the Anglicized form of "Qo'noS." You only hear it as "Qo'noS" when characters are speaking in Klingon.

When Chang is giving his statement in the courtroom, and he talks about the Enterprise firing on Gorkon's ship, he says "Qo'noS wa'", and the translator says "Kronos One."

Maybe this is revisionist, but it was a little vague as to what exactly "Kling" referred to in "Heart of Glory," when Korris referred to "the traitors of Kling." Maybe it was the name of a region, province, or whatever.

'Turd season, dude. It never happened. ;)

Kor

13. ozzfloyd

ozzfloyd Captain Captain

I always assumed that Kling was the name of the star of the Klingon home system, not the capital planet.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Admiral Archer's prize beagle, Porthos XIV

15. Nerys Myk

He could be out there....somewhere.

16. Paul Weaver

Star Trek XIII - The Search for Porthos?

17. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

To those who wish otherwise: STID happened. It's canon, whether you like it or not. Get over it. Move on, and focus on WILL happen, when the STB comes out. To quote Captain Picard (from the TNG episode "The Neutral Zone"), "Our mission is to go forward, and it's just begun..." Ergo, let's move ON, and make sure that the producers of the franchise know that we, the audience, WANT new adventures to be told, not rehash of old stories. After all, there is an entire world...an entire UNIVERSE to explore...

18. The Wormhole

The Abrams movies pretty much seem to be going out of their way to deliberately follow the same pattern as the original TOS movies. The first movie involves the launch of a new Enterprise to stop a threat to Earth. The second has Khan, and now in the third the Enterprise will be destroyed. Combined with the comics, it would seem rehashing old stories seems to be the only thing the Abramsverse is aspiring to do. Hell, Abrams himself just isn't really all that original, given he recently remade Star Wars A New Hope and re-titled it The Force Awakens.

To be honest, if the fourth Abrams Trek movie is about anything other than time travel, I'll be very fucking surprised.

19. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

One thing that seems well established in the nuTrek movies is that beaming down seems to be much, much easier than beaming up, so an argument could be made that they needed to stay close to ensure a good transporter lock for the beam up (and they still lost Amanda anyway) and that they could send Kirk and Spock to Narada from Titan, but would need to get a lot closer to retrieve them.

20. fireproof78

This is an aspect of Abrams Star Trek that I enjoyed. The technology, while there, felt more limited, and not just the usual "what's wrong with the transporters this week?" problem. Rather, the technology had its abilities, as well as boundaries that Starfleet was still exploring and pushing to the limits. It felt like there was room to grow with the technology to me, and I really enjoyed that.

Franklin likes this.