Is recasting Leia for Episode IX out of the question?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone visiting the grave of Leia on the edge of a cliff? Ehhhh? Ayyyye?

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

What would they have buried - a pile of clothes/jewelry?

3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd almost rather see CGI or a time jump as ALF said, than an actual recasting.

The precedent was already set with Tarkin. Fantastic voice reproduction and passable CGI... And he was a secondary character played by a legendary actor back in 1977. The writers, physical model, and voice actor all kept true to the original in a positive way to honor Peter Cushing and his portrayal. There is really no reason Carrie Fisher couldn't be given the same treatment, should CGI be rendered with just a little more fluidity in body movements AND as means to honor actor and role, since Leia is a primary character who's going to get more screen time as a result. Depends on how large her role was going to be as well...

But Carrie already liked what she'd read to sign up for VII-IX, so it could be argued to ditch Leia entirely would be a disservice or form of disrespect to Carrie as well.

They already have sensor meshes people wear to record movements - a few more CPU cycles would have perfected how Tarkin moved. It can arguably be done for Leia, for the legacy of both character and actor.

We'll know in a couple years where the franchise ultimately goes. They say it's out of the question. At the time, they had. Can peoples' opinions not change or remain immutable?

4. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure why they didn't have Leia be the one to light-speed into the empire ship. It would have been a heroic sacrifice and solve the problem of the actress being dead. It really made no sense to me to have Laura Dern (who could be brought back) do it instead.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Leia had important scenes after that. Her saying that the rebellion was out of hope is significant because she was the carrier of hope at the very beginning, and then there was the reunion and goodbye with Luke.

I think the best approach for 9 is to just say she was killed in a raid on a base and sacrificed herself heroically to save others. She's not needed for the story as given the 'letting go' theme it makes more sense for new characters to be the main agents of all the action in 9.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Post #13, guy.

7. galad2003

galad2003 Commander Red Shirt

Everyone knows Carrie Fisher died. If fans can't make allowances for her not being in Ep9 and the story might not flow perfectly because of her death - then they aren't true fans and need to sit down and shut up. Real life happens.

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

They should either mention she died between the movies or that she’s off rallying allies elsewhere.

9. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I don't mind if Leia was re-cast for "Episode IX".

2takesfrakes likes this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you're probably the only one.

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nor do I. Audiences understand the situation, of course. Were Carrie Fisher still with us, it would be inconceivable ... but The Show Must Go On!

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The show *will* go on, just without Leia.

Believe it or not this sort of thing has come up before. After Hamill's near fatal car crash back in '77 he asked Lucas what he would have done for the then already in development sequel, had he been killed. Specifically whether or not his role would be recast. The response was basically "No. I'd just write you out and have your long lost sister show up to finish the story."
    Not even the main character in Star Wars is irreplaceable.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

At this point the character is so connected to Carrie Fisher that the only way I could see someone else playing her in live action is if it's an alternate version along the lines of the Kelvinverse in Star Trek.

14. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they should go the Tarkin CGI route. With Disney budget and two more years of processor evolution, it will look more convincing. This would be fundamentally better than a crawl that says "General Leia Organa had to go -- her home planet needs her."

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

They've already categorically stated that they won't be doing a CG Leia. We'll just have to wait and see how they'll handle it, but it's a safe bet the decision of what to do was made going on a year ago at this point, so all this is academic.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

"More convincing" isn't convincing enough. The tech has a lot of uses in filmmaking today, Blade Runner 2049 managed to use it so well that I didn't even notice in many scenes. However, as soon as it was used to
    bring back 20-something Sean Young (and asked us to react emotionally to her) the limitations became obvious.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018
  17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, that was a smart use the of the technology, since the point was
    they didn't create an exact copy of Rachel, and Deckard noticed that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018
  18. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have been, if they did all the replicants with animation. Her weird face was a distraction among all the entirely human ones though.

19. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

What they should've done is edited it so Leia sacrificed herself the way pink hair did, a heroic end for the character and then this wouldn't even be an issue. Somone deserves shooting for not thinking of it.

20. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Actually, that was a smart use the of the technology, since the point was
    they didn't create an exact copy of Rachel, and Deckard noticed that.
    Please remember that there is a 6 mth statue of limitations, from the time a property is released, on spoiler material