Spoilers Is Picard season 2 a failure?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Ometiklan, Apr 26, 2022.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

There should be, I guess, so I've added one.

Argosy likes this.
  2. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’m in my 30s. Am I old? Some would consider that old, I guess. I don’t love Discovery and I didn’t love this season of Picard. The reason is because I think the writing is shockingly weak and sometimes tedious. So far, neither show has convinced me that Star Trek can do serialization well. I’m absolutely open to new concepts, new ideas, and even exploring a different premise.

For me, it comes down to having good writing and good characters. And while we’re only one episode on, Strange New Worlds (Lower Decks and Prodigy, too) succeeded in entertaining me and keeping me invested.

How old I am is not a factor in this.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a recently turned 38 year old. Not old, I guess, but not young.

I like Discovery and Picard for the characters and interesting psychological explorations.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The "old people" thing was tongue-and-cheek. You missed the tonal reading. The exchange between Mogh and I should've made that clear.

I'm sorry that, for a brief moment, I forgot I was posting on TrekBBS and let my guard down.

5. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as I’m not old.

Mogh likes this.
  6. Mogh

Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perish the thought!

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Turtletrekker, Lord Garth and Mogh like this.
  8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

You're younger than me and as long as I'm alive, I'll always consider middle-age to be "my current age plus 10 years". When I'm 100, if I'm still alive, "middle-age" will be 110. Never old.

In other words: You're safe. ;)

TedShatner10, Sci and Mogh like this.
  9. Mogh

Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it's any consolation Lord Garth, we've both been on here over two decades and now that you have a photo as your profile pic, I can tell you that you look far younger than I imagined!

Lord Garth likes this.
  10. locborg

locborg Commander Red Shirt

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved PIC S2 for a bit and told people to watch it. Then it got pseudo-Freudian Gothic and overly convoluted. Great ending, though!

I like PRO.

Stopped watching DSC, it was so CW-sappy.

I loved SNW at first blush, now I think ep 1 was merely dang goodr (which is still good, don’t get me wrong).

Am I young or old?

People should stop making generalizations about others liking or disliking the new. It’s rarely so monolithic.

12. nic3636

nic3636 Captain Captain

This season was interesting. I loved episodes 1, 2 and 10 and hated episodes 3-9. Some of the overarching concepts were intriguing:

- Picard having a traumatic past that helped shape him into the character we saw in TNG.
    - Q dying and helping Picard confront that past so he won't die alone.
    - Jurati merging with the Borg Queen
    - The Borg are never successful in any timeline, so Jurati convinces the Borg Queen to form a new type of collective.
    - A single event in the past that creates a mirror universe Confederation timeline.

These are great concepts that were written and executed on very poorly. There also wasn't enough content for 10 episodes, this could have easily been done in 5. So, I can't say the season was a complete failure (for example, the final scene between Picard and Q well done) but on the whole I was disappointed.

TedShatner10 and Mogh like this.
  13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I probably would have gotten more out of Q dying if it were actually addressed.

Q "I'm dying."
    Picard "What? No way!" *Hugs*
    Q "Laterz!"

No exploration or explanation of why, how, when, or what. Which I'd have been interested in hearing.

dupersuper and Argosy like this.
  14. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes and I suspect fans would then ask why they aren't trying to fix it.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Possibly. Is that a bad thing? Personally I'd say it would be very in character for Picard to ask, to wonder aloud what can be done to save a life. They could easily have then had Q tell him that it was not something to be stopped, etc. But to not even discuss it seems odd to me personally.

Imagine speaking to someone who tells you that they are about to die. And then you just say "I know."

What a nice gift Q gave Picard. Picard got to "forgive" himself, and all it cost was several dozen human lives. :shifty:

connor413 likes this.
  16. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean, it also created the Federation and saved billions.

Since it always was meant to happen due to the bullet holes, Q knew he had to transport Picard and company back into the past for them to make sure Renee went on the trip.

17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Posit: A later Soong designed the Oberth class as a bioship using Core-predecessor DNA.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually I had a brain fart, and thought that Adam died at the end of the series, but he did not.

Although I'm sure that boner pills in the future, 2024, will will b e twice as strong as they are now.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The "it was always meant to happen" ending doesn't really sit well with me. How does that work with the "Now he hasn't met Guinan in the past because his timeline never existed" approach? My head hurts. ;)

20. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me:

Top tier: TOS, TNG, DS9
    Middle tier: VOY, ENT, LD
    Bottom tier: DISCO, PIC, TAS

Not enough info to rate PRO ir SNW yet, but PRO seems at keast middle tier and SNW as well.

The serialized shows have had some great moments, but too many huge plotholes/logical incoherence instances for me to really like them. Though I will say the finales were both better this year. But generally, I prefer episodic storytelling (with serialized character arcs).

You never get a sense of completion/satisfaction after the episode with serialized. Or, very rarely, outside the finale.