Is nuWho too complicated for newbies?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Yminale, Sep 3, 2012.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The ratings numbers are really besides the point as to whether or not newbies think the show is too complicated. River's storyline was complicated for a number of regular long term viewers, she was Moffat's pet character and only he wrote for her so her story took years to tell. And personally I could without the Rory/Amy soap opera. but then I never liked how Amy treated Rory and Rory IMO is the better of the two characters.

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

My 9 year old son started to get into Doctor Who last year. He would sit down while I was watching, quietly at first. Then he'd start to ask questions.

So we TiVo'd all of last season to watch again before the new season started (we've only watched Asylum of the Daleks). There's definitely a lot of pausing and trying to explain. It's challenging, because I don't always understand it.

:lol:

But yet, he is a total fan now. He loves it, even if he doesn't always "get it". And I think that's very cool. Maybe it's okay to just go along for the ride sometimes?

To give you an idea of how much he has come to love the show, I was on a business trip recently. When I came home, he told me he had made something for me. Here it is:

[​IMG]

The scan didn't come out great, but I think you get the idea. It's all there. You can see The Silence on the left, and the robot doctor on the right is saying "This is a kindness".

:techman:

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

*SNIFF* You're raisin' the Boy Right, and how cool to get such an enthusiastic response, and one he wanted to impress you and make you feel special with :bolian::bolian::bolian:

4. 1001001

Well, thanks. It's great to share this kind of stuff with your kids. I did the same thing with my daughter and TNG.

He doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a Sonic Screwdriver for his birthday.

:techman:

The only things he doesn't really like (i.e. what really scare him), what's not in the picture anywhere....

The Angels. He HATES them!

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even in Liam's stories the Doctor uses the sonic too much! And Daleks again! shheeesh!

Just kidding, those things are the best, aren't they? I got stuff from my nephew that just warms your heart. Though I've been his video game enabler starting with a used Gamecube, I haven't been able to get him into sci-fi proper yet. :) Got the niece reading comics though...

6. 1001001

Nice.

Do you recognize the character to the right of the Doctor?