Is it possible to whittle down all the Canon Issues down to 3x Time Lines?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by KamenRiderBlade, Nov 11, 2019.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Mirror Universe is just an alternate timeline. Plus, we have the Abrams films, where the timeline branches due to time travel.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"For any event, there are an infinite number of possible outcomes."

Is travelling through time not a possible event like Worf marrying Troi or Picard dying in "Best of Both Worlds" or any of the other AU events we see?

Spot261 and BillJ like this.
  3. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, I meant the finale of "Parallels".

IN science fiction there is a common story idea that every moment many alternate universe branch off, so that the number of coexisting alternate universes constantly increases. Every time there is more than one possible outcome of a process, all of the possible outcomes happen in different alternate universes.

One of the most important and firmly established physical theories is quantum mechanics.

And the "many worlds" interpretation of the quantum mechanics equations says that alternate universes do branch off constantly.

So if the "many worlds" interpretation of the quantum mechanics equations is correct, the science fiction idea of a multiverse of countless alternate universes is correct. And thus a multiverse of countless alternate universes would describe the reality in which Prax lives.

Possibly another interpretation of the quantum mechanics equations is correct and "many worlds" is false. In that case there wouldn't be a major scientific theory supporting the science fiction concept of a multiverse of countless alternate universes coexisting with each other.

But every reader or viewer or listener to any work of fiction is logically required to believe in a multiverse of countless alternate universes, including both the one he lives in and the one where the story happens, in order to suspend their disbelief and get involved with the story.

It is easy to demonstrate that the vast majority of fictions involve persons, places, events, and things that are not real in our alternate universe. Thus those fictions must happen in alternate universes where those persons, places, events, and things are real, or even in parallel universes where the scientific laws are different.

Therefore, experiencing fiction implies at least temporary belief in a multiverse of countless alternate universes and often even parallel universes.

Star Trek fiction is a subset of all fiction.

Therefore, it is illogical to assume that Star Trek is not in a multiverse with countless alternate universes, whenever the functioning of the Star Trek fictional universe is being considered.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    fireproof78 likes this.
  4. lazarus+

lazarus+ Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

5. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

6. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

I want a timeline where Worf marries Picard and Troi is still an amphibian because they ran out of antidote in "Genesis".

F. King Daniel and BillJ like this.
  7. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it's a parallel universe. Not the same thing. If it was an alternate timeline, they'd refer to it as such.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They call it an "alternate reality" in ENT: " In a Mirror, Darkly", the exact wording used to describe the Kelvin timeline in ST'09.

fireproof78 likes this.
  9. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's all well and good, but we are only watching one particular universe(not counting the newer movies). Also, that concept is separate from the concept of time travel, and changing history/restoring history.

If every possible outcome of every decision of every person is creating a literal tangible additional universe, than we might as well speculate that we have witnessed 579 different universes throughout Star Trek, one for every episode.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  10. BillJ

Probably some folks out there that do see it that way. Makes no difference to me. I see it one way, you see it another, and there are probably dozens of variations in between.

fireproof78 likes this.
  11. Prax

We need a system where everyone sits down, decides on the best timeline, and someone... I dunno, someone wise...makes everyone agree.

Edit::biggrin:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    fireproof78, Lord Garth and lazarus+ like this.
  12. BillJ

Why? I think seeing multiple viewpoints is far more interesting than forcing everyone to follow a single interpretation.

Spot261 and The Wormhole like this.
  13. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Create your own canon if there has to be a thing like that.

I watch the best episodes and ignore the rest.

14. lazarus+

lazarus+ Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sorry, I guess I was ootl on the kelvin timeline already being officially folded into a single timeline. I thought this thing on startrek.com was them making that actually official for the first time (since it seems to make people upset either way, shrug...).

Ah well, I am trying to let go of the desire for a fictional setting to be internally consistent.

15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm busy this weekend. Sorry. ;)

F. King Daniel likes this.
  16. Boris Skrbic

What’s there to agree upon? Always two there are; no more, no less.

fireproof78 and Prax like this.
  17. Prax

It was an Anakin joke. Apparently not a good one

18. Boris Skrbic

You can see I got it, but it’s almost like not that many people here have seen AOTC ten times or more.

Prax likes this.
  19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Attack of the Clones? I only saw it the one time in the theater in 2002. I'm not a Star Wars fan but went because I was with a group of friends who were all going to go. I've only seen most of the Star Wars movies once. Except Solo, which I didn't see. I've seen the Original Trilogy Films a handful of times each, over the last four decades.

I may be a huge Trekkie, but when it comes to Star Wars I'm just the Average Joe (except with black nails).

20. Boris Skrbic

I used to be a huge Trekkie, then a huge B5 fan, then a huge (reimagined) Galactica fan, but ten years after that I’m more of an on-and-off, skeptical fan of any number of things, including Star Wars. There just isn’t any time to get bogged down in one franchise given everything that’s available in 2019.