Is it just me or movies are not that interesting anymore?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Naira, Aug 14, 2014.

1. localyokel

localyokel Ensign Red Shirt

I think it's age related. I'm 46 and over the last few years in particular, I find myself giving up on movies much more easily. They say there are only... what 10-12 different storylines and everything is a variation on these. If so, I've seen these varations thousands of times and it is getting tougher for me to be impressed. I fell asleep in Hobbit 2. Twice. I cannot make it through that one as muc as I want to. Same with Harry Potter

2. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or are you leaving the movie industry behind? Unfortunately, yes, most movies are in the mediocre to trash range.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  3. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Your time honored expression of ennui sums it up nicely.

/Thread

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The only thing that's changed for me is that I don't really get upset if movies pass me by. There are plenty of movies and TV shows that I want to see, but I don't really put the effort into seeing them. If I don't see a movie within a week or two of its release, I probably never will, even if it was something I was really looking forward to.

I also don't like watching movies at home unless I'm really in the mood. I'd rather watch 20-45 minutes of a TV show than commit a full 2 hours of my day to watching a movie. There are better, more active ways I can spend my time.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

We have so much choice that our focus gets scattered and we can't make a decision. And movies are so easy to get with Netflix and other on-demand services that movie-watching isn't a special occasion anymore, so there's no excitement or urgency. That's part of it.

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

The nice thing about a TV series is that you can get more in-depth than a movie, but I believe that there's a lot you can put into a movie, without crowding, if you don't underestimate your audience. I think a lot of directors are low balling the audience, and it's frustrating.

As for the meme talk, I can't stand it. Anytime I watch a modern action movie, I feel like the actors are just short of breaking out the hand puppets in order to explain the plot.

Yep. Of course, I don't go to the movies very often because they're absurdly expensive. Still, when I do, I want to get the value for my money. I figure reality movies are coming. The biggest box office blockbuster of the year will be about a couple of rednecks who are given shotguns and beer, and air dropped into a gated community. The budget will be $600, and it will rake in a billion dollars.

I was thinking this last night. I remember, as a kid, when we wanted to see a movie, we'd get together with family, go to the local supermarket and rent a VCR and get a VHS tape. Then we'd take it to my aunt's house, where she would order pizza, and then we would watch it on her 19" TV. That was movie night. I have very fond memories of that. It was special.

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not just people getting older and grouchier (though I'm not above it admitting it for myself), the movie business has changed. David Denby wrote a whole book about it (Do the Movies Have a Future?, 2012). If you look at the top-grossing movies in the '70s and even '80s, you see a broader variety of styles, genres and target audiences than today. Movies aimed at adults are pretty rare these days. Good ones even rarer; if I see four new movies I really like in a year, it's a pretty good year.

For a viewing experience that rewards paying attention, thinking about what you're seeing and some thoughtful discussion afterward, TV is where it's at right now.

Just looking at some IMDb numbers for top US grossing:

1973:
    The Sting
    American Graffiti
    Papillon
    The Exorcist
    Live and Let Die
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Lost Horizon
    The Day of the Dolphin
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull
    Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

1983:
    Return of the Jedi
    Terms of Endearment
    Flashdance
    Trading Places
    WarGames
    Octopussy
    Sudden Impact
    Mr. Mom
    Staying Alive
    Risky Business

2013:
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    Iron Man 3
    Frozen
    Despicable Me 2
    Man of Steel
    Gravity
    Monsters University
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
    Fast & Furious 6
    Oz The Great and Powerful

8. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Going to the movies is very different from when I was a kid (100 yrs ago). The movie house had deep pile red carpeting and red velvet ropes with brass fittings. There were ushers with uniforms and flashlights. Going to see a movie was an occasion. It is more relaxing to see movies at home now. No one sitting behind you spoiling the best parts, etc. Pause the movie to visit the necessary room. Movies have changed, too. Some things are better (special effects) and some are worse (movies built around SNL actors and old tv series). There are more SF & F movies now than back then, which I like. Not that my mother would have let me go to them when I was kid anyway.

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    For me, it's a lack of anything new. (A major reason I want to make my own films someday).

The last movie I saw in the theaters was "Captain America: Winter Soldier" (awesome)....before that, it was "Pacific Rim" (ugh, I wanted my money back)...and before that, "Star Trek Into Darkness" (uhhhh, no)...and I think "Skyfall" was after the Trek film...(amazing film).

I find myself looking at 'classic' films from years prior that I've missed. Or catching movies that were in theaters on DVD rentals.

Even my DVD or blu-ray collection is starting off slowly because I'm nitpicky on what films I want to put into the collection and pay money on. I feel I have to return to the film several times; the film has to resonate with me.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

These days I spend more time watching movies from the 30s-50s. Even the bad ones have a panache and artistry that contemporary movies, for the most part, lack. Spectacle is indeed a good term to describe the current state of the industry. Or bread and circuses.

Yeah, that really sums up how the market has changed.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I get that. Every year there are a handful of sci-fi/superhero movies I get excited about. Overall, though, I tend to be very picky about choosing a movie.

It was a point of contention with my ex-wife. With limited money and kids, "date night" was always difficult and often, the idea of seeing a movie would come up. She's the type that wasn't picky, versus me, who hates spending money and time going to see a movie I'm anything less than thrilled to see.

Of course, while there were exceptions, the times I gave in to going to a movie she chose, that I wasn't thrilled about, I (and sometimes her, too) was disappointed.

In case anyone is thinking of choosing her side, I present the following movies as examples of movies she chose that I suffered through: Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, The Tourist, and Duplicity. ;)

Duplicity was actually a movie we saw while at her mother's for the week. Her mother would watch the kids so we could go out a few nights in a row. I picked one night, and she reluctantly agreed to see I Love You, Man (with something like me never picking the movie ever again if she didn't like it or something ridiculous on the line). After it was over, she admitted she enjoyed the movie and that I had chosen well. She then picked Duplicity and we both emerged from the theater deeply disappointed.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Movie making has been going on for over a century with film makers from around the globe. There's far too many to choose from as far as I'm concerned. Leave the movieplex where Hollywood et al show their thing and find some small cinemas which have broader horizons.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The cinema is also very expensive these days, by the time I've paid for a ticket, cost of travelling, a snack and drink (even if I bring it in from outside) I can almost buy a BR disc of the movie.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Exactly.

If I care enough about any movie, I'll generally wait until it comes out on iTunes. It takes a LOT to get me into theaters these days. I think the last movie I saw in a theater was 42.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno, usually I can find something in theaters I want to see, either right away enough to pay theater prices for it or to see it when released on home video.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

So, I'm assuming everyone who says there are no interesting, non-big budget, non-formulaic movies anymore has seen Boyhood, The Hundred-Foot Journey, Get On Up, and A Most Wanted Man for four examples currently out in theaters off the top of my head? Not that I'd call Guardians of the Galaxy the least bit formulaic or uninteresting just because it's a big budget action-adventure scifi movie, but if that turns you off there are certainly alternatives if you can venture a little further afield than the multiplex.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, agreed, if you can't find good movies these days you're simply not looking or you're blinded by nostalgia. I was only venting about the big budget films in my post. I've seen too many big budget "event" movies recently out of an obligation to not fall out of the loop that I'm burnt out.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I live in a small town. We have one movie theater, in the next town over, but it only shows the big movies that have very wide theatrical releases. Outside of that, it's 20 miles to the nearest theater. None of those movies LoB listed are playing anywhere around here, which sucks.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've actually been headed in the opposite direction, preferring film to TV.

20. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought I was the only one who thought this. In the last couple years, I hardly ever get excited about new movies. Same goes for tv. There used to be some great shows out there now almost everything seems boring. Maybe because Hollywood is recycling ideas instead of being creative?