Is it just me, or is Star Trek going the wrong way?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by LunaticBurnout, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

We're all writers, online. :)

BillJ and GNDN18 like this.
  2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And the ratio of shitty to good ones is even greater online.

GNDN18 likes this.
  3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it that obvious?

4. cooleddie74

You're still one of the lowest ranks, so...yeah, kinda. :p

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's fair.

Hopefully, I'll one day get promoted over the other guy.

6. cooleddie74

What a poser.

CorporalClegg likes this.
  7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Beatles never sold out and/or played doom-and-gloom death metal. OK, that didn't exist back then but still, they never sold out.

And any rock band who adds "rap" to the music ends up on my s***list and will never be played in my house again.

I've always been very consistent in my taste. Any rock band which adapts to trends I don't like and/or sells out will simply "fall from grace" and dissapear from my list of favorites. It has happened some times times actually.
    I remember one particular band which I liked when I was a kid. Their first two records were actually good but then there were some member changes and they started to make crap music. So I just stopped listen to them. I still have their first albums and actually listen to them. But the rest......no!

Not to mention that selling out can harm a band's career. I remember one really good band from the 80's who made a lot of good heavy metal stuff and was counted as one of the best bands of that era.

Then they made a very "adapted" album in order to "go with the trends" and attract new fans which was a bad mistake. many of the old fans turned their backs on them and they didn't get any new fans among the trendy people either.

They realized their mistake and whent back to the old style on the next album but the damage was done and while they still exist and make good music, they never became as popular gain as they were in the beginning. Personally I have forgiven them because that "adapted album" wasn't that bad compared to some worse things I've heard when it comes to selling out and because they did realize their mistake and started making good music again.

As for bands I like and still listen to, I think that Rolling Stones "Miss You" is terrible, Aerosmiths "Walk This Way" is the worst thing they have done and KISS "I Was Made to Love You" is the worst song ever made by a rock band. I never listen to those songs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Listen to what you like. Wathc what you like. None those changes make it the wrong way.
    Its art not morality.

Grendelsbayne and BillJ like this.
  9. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I think Voyager was the franchises biggest missed opportunity. The inherent nature of the series opened it up to whole new avenues of storytelling that we couldn't have seen on TNG or DS9. But instead we got Diet-TNG that only existed to keep milking the franchise and ultimately led to it's ruin. I can only imagine what Voyager is like in the alternate universe where Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D Moore where made the showrunners.

777, antinoos and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  10. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BvS is his idea of a good time?? Terrifying...

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The post-TNG downward trend in Trek ratings actually began with DS9, and the downward trend during VOY and ENT were both just extensions of that.

Gunther Heinrich's "All Star Trek Movies and Episodes in Two Charts" appears to be down right now at http://www.madmind.de/2009/05/02/all-star-trek-movies-and-episodes-in-two-charts/. But his chart plotting the ratings for TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT is visible at https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/126469/what-was-the-highest-rated-episode-of-star-trek.

VOY by itself was not to blame.

BillJ likes this.
  12. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not talking ratings but quality. In terms from writing quality DS9 was far superior to Voyager. Voyager was just a very lazy show that was mandated to be episodic with no lasting stakes and think it contributed heavily to Trek Burnout, particularly once it became the sole series on the air.

777 likes this.
  13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

My point is that, if DS9 had quality writing but VOY didn't, then this distinction affected aggregate reception of the programs not at all.

On the contrary, the data leads one to suspect that, at least as far as the general audience was concerned, there was no significant distinction between the two, not only in terms of writing quality but also in terms of many other factors. If the audience did experience burnout in aggregate (and I think it probably did), then perhaps that was simply the result of there having been an overproduction of similar content.

14. cooleddie74

It's hard to argue with most of that. They were given an entire quadrant of the galaxy in which to play and ended up giving us TNG Lite with fewer calories and less flavor. VOY had moments of absolute brilliance worthy of the best in the entire franchise but far too much mediocrity for a series that ran 172 episodes and was the third-longest-running in the franchise.

fireproof78 likes this.
  15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That sure was a lot of words just to say I hate it when people do things I don't like.

16. fireproof78

Why? It's all fantasy and make believe. This is like being terrified because someone has a good time with Dark Souls, or Five Nights at Freddie's or Bendy and the Ink Machine.

17. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

"Miss You" is a great song on one of the Stones' best albums, i don't like Aerosmith but I still enjoy the version of "Walk This Way" they did with Run-DMC, and I don't have any Kiss in my collection, so I can't comment there.

It seems to be a common thing for people to stop listening to new music after they finish high school or university. I never did. At 58, I still like hearing things that are new and different. I also like reading and watching things that are new and different. I also like Star Trek that's new and different. I still have and enjoy the old classic stuff, too. I can watch Casablanca one day and Guy Maddin's The Forbidden Room the next, listen to Fleetwood Mac and then the Weeknd, watch a TOS or Fourth Doctor story followed by Discovery or the Thirteenth Doctor, it's all good.

Isaac Lawrence and fireproof78 like this.
  18. fireproof78

Same here. I don't always go seek it out but I have little issue watching something older and then jump to something more modern. I have my tastes but rarely do they govern a "No, I won't go look at that because it's too different."

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

20. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

The Rolling Stones loved blues, R&B, soul, and reggae. Why wouldn't they like a little funk and disco too?