Is Ensign Kim the whiniest character ever?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Garren, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did you watch Supernatural last night?

They explained away incest between the two male lead characters as subtext.

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gotta say, Mulgrew and Ryan might've had their issues both personally and professionally, but they completely nailed the character dynamic on-screen. Janeway/Seven feels very close, especially in the fourth season (when it probably mattered the most).

3. Guy Gardener

Yes they did seem close eventually, but really I always questioned why they were close and how they became close. Seven went from disruptive impertinent priss to diligent daughter over night.

And the whole time B'Elanna is rotting on the wayside dreaming that Captain Mom would call her "Laney" (Barge of the Dead.) and comb her hair.

4. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of Harry Kim and the novels, does anybody know a reason why someone decided that Lieutenant Kim was a good fit for the chief of Security for Voyager? he is not really suited for the job, if he were to transfer to any other department I would have said he would have made a decent chief of Engineering.

5. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Security? Kim "Can't get a lock" and has never been assigned security nor tuvok's post? oy vey...

6. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

Shoot sorry I have not spoiled anything for you have I?

7. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sometimes Janeway does look like she's holding back an angry/disgusted face in Seven scenes, but I don't know if that's just my imagination because I've heard the rumors.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Is there any indication even suggesting that Janeway is anything but heterosexual, though?

9. Guy Gardener

Gene in a novel said that every human in the Federation except Kirk was bisexual.

It's a nice foundation to build up from. :)

However, in the 1940s if a French woman is wearing a white tuxedo, it's almost certain that she is a lesbian. Given that what I learnt from 'Allo 'Allo, every bistro with a room to let was also a brothel, Janeway was playing a Madam who was more than likely involved with the holodeck character driving Seven's body.

It wasn't their real personalities ####ing, and they probably don't remember doing it, but there still should be security footage all their coitus.

Meanwhile over in Holodeck 2, unless the Doctor was making sure that every one was keeping up to date with their monthly contraception shots, in the Klingon scenario, which seemed like then they were showing us the rim of an orgy, a lot of women on Voyager seemed to have decided to abort their hybrid Talaxian kittens over the next few weeks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  10. Catarina

no worries. that's the risk :-)

11. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love the book recommendations. I've been looking to get back into TrekLit and these look like some good candidates. I'm also looking for any good Dominion War stuff that might be out there if anyone knows of any.

And, er, yeah, Harry was a whiny little bitca.

12. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

This is copied from TEACAKE in this thread
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a male.
    Adm Hawthorne converted me to J/7 here lo these many years ago.
    Guy said in this thread that in the beginning of Season Four, Seven's association with Janeway could have been conscript, because, initially, she just was a helpless Borg and Janeway regarded her as a student. This involves countless possibilities that are never said but, anyway, Season Four doesn't reinforce any of it.

13. Catarina

I didn't see any doting but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Perhaps she wants people to acknowledge her sacrifices. Probably even the one she did that got them stranded. She was glowing when Kim invited her to the group which means Respect takes a back seat to acceptance in Janeway's psyche. She probably was labeled star fleet brat and Admiral's daughter.... I wonder if that's the sympathy she had for Paris apart from his usefulness.

14. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Oh she LOVED Tom (this time, in a maternal way). I think she understood what it was like being an admiral's kid and she also had a soft spot for Tom's dad Owen Paris.

Kathy took Tom out of prison, slapped the uniform on him, and kept his rank at Lieutenant for most of the show. She didn't HAVE to do that. I think she looked at Tommy boy as a sort of son. :lol: :)

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

We had a big Janeway/Paris shipper here at one point, great person COME BACK!! But anyway this video was very convincing!

I'm not a shipper in part because I can imagine most people with most people heh..

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBxk96DPYQ[/yt]

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course the brief scene in that romance video of their abandoned children sliding into the mud pool is a bit of a downer. But I suppose that would bind them together in the future, the guilt.

17. Titch

Titch Ensign Red Shirt

I have been reading a few of the posts. And I would have to say yes he whines for the whole 7 years none stop. Even when things went right for him he whined. I have always tried to that something to Mr. Kim and the best I can come up with is the kid who would keep saying “Are we there yet?”

18. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

No.
    According to the book "Mosaic", her first boyfriend was a guy named Cheb Packer who turned out to be a selfish, unsympathetic person.
    Her next love was Justin Tighe who was a Starfleet Liutenant who actually saved Kathryn Janeway and Admiral Paris from the Cardassians during a mission. Justin Tighe and Kathryn's father were killed in a shuttle accident on Tau Ceti Prime. Kathryn herself survived the crash.
    Her next boyfriend was Mark Hobbes Johnson, a childhood friend.
    And then she met Chakotay! :luvlove:

(The Lynx seem to be in a romantic mood today!) ;)

19. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just saw that episode Warhead where Harry Kim is captain during the nightshift and I don't think he was whiney. He solved the problem-of-the-week and apparently has the respect of all the lower ranking crewmembers. Makes no sense that he's still an ensign, seriously if I was Harry Kim I'd give starfleet a low ranking on glassdoor for career advancement. If they can mess with Tom Paris's rank surely they can throw Harry Kim a bone.

Harry Kim is like Riker if he had never grown the beard/gut and just stayed a babyface for the rest of TNG. They needed to let him grow a little and would have had an awesome character.

20. Marsbars

Marsbars Cadet Newbie

(Edit: User dealt with... -Akiraprise)

Ensign Kim was a momma's boy. Everytime there was a way to get back home he would cry like a little baby when it did not work out. He could not wait to suck his mother's breasts again

Ensi

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2019