Is Discovery about to involve Time Travel and also Picard.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jayson1, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unlikely.

I don't think anyone here calling it the prime timeline is calling themselves a true fan.

PiotrB likes this.
  2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt it's even a remote possibility.

Prime is Prime. The showrunners said it was Prime. Not looking like a 1960s show doesn't make it not Prime. Look at these images of the termperature variations in the Cosmic Microwave Background:

[​IMG]

The first was produced in the 60s, the second in the 90s, and the third in the 2000s. They're all of the same thing -- the only difference is the resolution level thanks to better technology. There are even higher resolution images available today.

That's how people should look at Discovery: it's the 2019 image of the Cosmic Microwave Background. It looks different from the original because of almost 60 years of progression in tech, but at the end of the day they are both images of the same thing.

They could, but they're not going to. You're going to hurt yourself if you keep twisting and contorting that much.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    drt, Phily B, shapeshifter and 7 others like this.
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

While I always laughed at the "they're historical documents" joke in Galaxyquest, I have to admit that I never really got the joke until all of these "is Discovery prime or isn't it?" arguments.

PiotrB and Alan Roi like this.
  4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well those are real life examples. I think FIction works differently in that you need certain touchstones that are almost exactly the same. Stuff that has lots of crossover potential with the other show whether it be props or uniforms or actors playing the same character in both shows. Otherwise their is no reason to just not assume the new show is a remake or reboot. Especially when the new things very much outweight the old things and you have things that are interupted differently like Section 31 being a official part of the Federation or Burnham being Spock's sister. I mean one can head canon away around this stuff but does take more effort than say Picard interacting with Nimoy's Spock which is a much stronger way to connect two old shows.

Jason

5. WarpFactorZ

Discovery has lots of crossovers from TOS -- the Federation, Starfleet, TOS uniforms and the Enterprise, Klingons, Spock, Sarek, Amanda, Pike, Number One, etc.... What else do you want to connect it with TOS?

It isn't up to us to assume one way or another. The people who made it said it is not a reboot. There was a lot of retconning and more advanced tech in the Star Wars prequels, but I don't recall anyone suggesting those three movies took place in an alternate universe.

If you can find any remaining TOS cast members who are still in their 20-30s (the age they'd need to be to effectively "meet" the Discovery crew), please make it happen! Otherwise, we'll have to settle for recasting.

6. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Without meaning to prolong an already tortured conversation, I feel compelled to note that the definition of "Prime" can differ in the eye of the beholder.

I take being part of the "Prime" universe to mean that they can't change key details that are established - they can't kill off Spock, Pike has to wind up in his wheelchair eventually, etc.

That does not mean they can't change visuals, or add details for familiar characters and races, even if they're not mentioned in canonically later instalments.

If doing so excludes something from being "Prime", then there ain't much Prime because Trek has had plenty of retcons and changes over the years.

LizStargaryen and Campe like this.
  7. Jayson1

We also had Starfleet,Sarek and Section 31 etc in the Kelvin Universe but those things alone wouldn't make it set in the Prime Universe. I am saying the connections are their to make it Prime but they aren't so evident that they are so oviously Prime that it's a simply giveway if people started watching the show blind without any knowledge of what the writers have said because many people don't follow the whole Prime angle stuff at all. I bet many casual viewers either don't care and some might even think it's set in the Kelvin Universe though many might not even be familiar with terms like Kelvin Universe or Prime Universe and to them it's just "Star Trek."

Jason

8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Around here, ones needs a bit more than just a hat...

[​IMG]

:biggrin:

LizStargaryen and Jayson1 like this.
  9. Jayson1

This wasn't even suppose to be a canon thread! It was suppose to be about time travel and the story potential and simply going a different way with the canon/Prime universe was just one possibility.

Jason

pst likes this.
  10. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

and nobody cares that tachyons are also indicative of cloaking technology.
    [​IMG]

saddestmoon, Jayson1 and Tim Thomason like this.
  11. WarpFactorZ

It was explicitly stated that it took place in an alternate Universe.

Yes, The casual viewers will not care either way what universe it's in. But we care, the producers care, and the lines of communication are quite clear in this case.

12. Jayson1

Yes but if the producers come out and say. "You know how we said this show is Prime Universe. Well we decided to go in a new direction!" then that would become the new way to define the show. I mean their is no reason why they can't do that if they want and they are lucky that I don't people are so connected to the idea of the show being Prime that many would be upset. I do think if a time alteration wiped out all the other Trek shows then people would be upset. I think that was some of the concern of the Kelvin Universe at first before people saw the movie. It's one thing to exist along side the other shows but to erase them I think would piss people off.

Jason

13. WarpFactorZ

Look, this just isn't going to happen. You can keep thinking that all you want if it keeps your interest in the show. Anyway, I'm done with this circular argument.

Hythlodeus likes this.
  14. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

When and IF.., that Actually Happens, then your hypothetical would become something to have lengthy conversations about.

Now, it's just an attempt to place some dubious hypothetical into what some folks would love to perceive as being certain.
    :rolleyes:

Hythlodeus likes this.
  15. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like, I've been saying, the Romulans are behind everything. Everything.

The Klingons getting cloaks: Romulans

The Logic Extremist movement: Romulans

Framing Spock: Romulans

Setting up massive Red bursts 80,000 light years apart to distract the Discovery: Romulans

... maybe not that last one.

pst likes this.
  16. Jayson1

Of course it's hypothetical. This is a speculation thread. Everything is going to be hypothetical until it's not. The question is if they did do it does anyone think it would be a great idea? I think it would be very cool and also a great cliffhanger of a moment for the show. Spock gets killed by Lorca who we don't know is going to be in the final episode. Something worthy of the "Best of Both Worlds" cliffhanger moment.

Jason

17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

This thread is about Time Travel and whether or not Picard will appear on DISCOVERY.

It has absolutely nothing to do with speculating as to if the Producers will change Their minds about saying DISCOVERY is part of the Prime Universe.

You're attempting to take the thread off topic.
    :thumbdown:

Hythlodeus likes this.
  18. Jayson1

Well the idea of making the show not Prime came from the idea of Picard travelling back in time which then leads to the creation of a new universe only we find out this entire time we have been living in this altered universe but we just didn't know it. So the ideas are connected. Even if you take Picard out of the picture time travel alone is enough to make altered timelines a possible way to go because that is a common situation that happens in time travel stories. Less common is when the alteration isn't changed back but I will say it's more common then it use to be. Fringe,Eureka,Angel have all basically done that aproach.

Jason

19. WarpFactorZ

OMG!!!
    He was right! After tonight's Discovery ep it's clear. The Red Angel is really Picard in a timesuit, traveling back from the 25th century to save humanity at Q's behest.

pst likes this.
  20. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Fringe still restored proper memories and the status quo.