Iron Man: SOB (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by A beaker full of death, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Negative-- did you see the list of shipping manifests he had Pepper pull from the SI database? There are dozens of missions left to go on. That was part of the reason Pepper wanted to quit, because Tony said all that was left was the next mission.

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

[LEFT]Very similar point. Even if that person isn't the hero, they're making themselves a target by being closely associated with the hero. Like I said, Tony has made himself a target by declaring himself as Iron Man's employer, even if he's not the one in the suit. (The fact that he is in the suit is just icing on the cake.) The same is true for Lois, Jimmy, etc. Batman can't tell Jim Gordon who he is without risking being arrested, but there was never any reason for Clark not to tell Lois and Jimmy.[/LEFT]

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good catch, I'd forgotten that.

Still, Tony MUST consider himself protected from any repurcussions from being an outlaw and vigilante. Like it or not, he's still an American citizen and will be subject to its laws. I guess joining the Avengers would save him from various legalities from causing mass damage and death as he did in the first movie...

Mark

4. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think Tony was worried about legal and monetary repercussions-- after all his company is HELLA rich and can afford great lawyers.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

FWIW, in the early comics before they came up with the bodyguard alibi, Stark and his company were already routine targets for various commie operatives and super-powered nutjobs. Iron Man spent most of his time saving Stark Industries. So the bodyguard story gave an excuse for an association that was already there, and wasn't likely to draw any more negative attention to Stark than he was already getting.

It also makes sense that somebody like Stark would build the suit, but hir somebody else to wear it.

I always thought it was kind of silly that, the odd brief impersonation aside, Stark and his "bodyguard" were never seen together, and nobody seemed to make much of this.