Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, Oct 31, 2011.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

as long as it's Ultimates Iron Man and not Ultimate Iron Man the Orson Scott Card LS which made little sense and Mark Millar retconned in universe into a crazy cartoon from Mexico or something

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Without spoiling it too much for those who may want to read it one day. What exactly made it so crazy? I'm kind of curious.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

RDJ's contract expires after "Iron Man 3" I believe. If Marvel Studios wants to use him for future films after next year they will have to negotiate again, and as we already know, that sometimes doesn't quite work out.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't think he'd be a bad choice, actually. Like Downey, and of course Stark, he's had his addiction demons. And he's lived the whole playboy lifestyle too.

5. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

to be honest, i'd think he'd be crazy to break away from this... the Iron Man series has given him a new lease on his career... i think he should stick with it for as long as they want him

M

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think he'd be crazy to walk away from the role. He'll have done four movies (plus a cameo in The Incredible Hulk so five which is I believe full filling his five picture deal now) after "Iron Man 3" so as much as he might be grateful for the role reviving his career, he might want to move on to other things. It'll be interesting to see. I can't see him leaving though. He could sign a new two or three picture deal or something or have some kind of appearance clause included.

7. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

RDJ's agent would be in a pretty strong negotiating position for Avengers 2, I think. I can easily see Marvel being somewhat generous but making it part of a three-movie package including Avengers 3 and Iron Man 4. After that, maybe they'll do a semi-reboot. Lowe might have made a good choice but that ship has sailed as he'd be in his fifties by then. Wouldn't bet against Colin Farrell.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's a given we'll at least get an Avengers 2 out of RDJ. I'm not buying age as a factor as it's not like he's actually in the suit flying around.

If push comes to shove though, recast all the way. Rebooting Iron-Man will mean rebooting Thor, Captain America, Hulk etc

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Whatever role he's in, Farrell always looks grubby and seedy to me, I couldn't buy him as Tony Stark. I also couldn't buy the idea that he was a genius, the suspension of disbelief would be too high for me.

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

OSC re-wrote Tony's origin so that he was a weird-ass freaky experiment-gone wrong with brain tissue through his whole body, so he was literaly a walking brain and he was in constant pain and had to be coated in this weird blue 'armour' paint to avoid feeling pain and he could regrow his limbs like *#&$ing Wolverine.

it totally contradicted the origin Brian Bendis wrote for Ultimate Stark in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up and didn't really add anything to the character.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Huh. Words can't really express how I feel after reading that.

12. Captaindemotion

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope, even then he looks less grubby and seedy than farrell.

14. Captaindemotion

15. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's a little disingenuous to say that Iron Man rejuvenated Downey, Jr.'s career. He got wide praise for his work in The Singing Detective in 2003 (really, he was the only thing about that movie that received any praise), and A Scanner Darkly, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and especially Zodiac had him at the point where he could pick and choose his roles, well before Iron Man. His Marvel work has definitely increased his profile somewhat (though I'd point more to getting an Oscar nomination for Tropic Thunder as being the high point), but his career was already back on track no later than 2006. It's not like Pulp Fiction rescuing John Travolta from being an obscure joke in 1994.

16. Captaindemotion

^ He got praise for all of those movies, but he wasn't the sort of name to put bums on seats and that's the bottom (no pun intended) line in Hollywood. I yield to few in my love for Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang but he, Val Kilmer and Shane Black all got great acclaim for the role but little else. Black has made no movies since, while Kilmer is hardly a box office draw.

It's not true to say he could pick and choose his roles as a result - he had to audition for Iron Man and there were all sorts of insurance conditions arising from his drug history. No, he may not have been in the John Travolta career graveyard but nor was this a case of the studio chasing him for the role the way they chased Chris Evans.

Meanwhile RDJ has expressed his own views about remaining in the role:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/16...robert-downey-jr-would-really-hate-that.jhtml

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I yield to few in my love for A Scanner Darkly, and RDJ was the best thing about that film. But it was a financial failure, partly because they just didn't get it in enough theaters ( for example, a grand total of 1 in the entire Philadelphia area, same thing in Vegas ).

18. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they've tried for Emily Blunt, what twice now, perhaps 3rd times the charm?!

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Nah, she's gonna play Sharon Carter in Captain America 2. :p